“aqua dream beneath our feets”

Caribbean Images Tours
Reviewed December 26, 2011

An excellent experience, I will definitely come again... Really appreciate the attention and the kindness...

Reviewed November 23, 2011

Snorkeling is a popular recreational activity for both the natives and tourists. On the island of Puerto Rico there are four snorkeling locations; Farjardo in the northeast, la Parguera in the southwest, Mona Island off of the west coast and Caja de Muertos Island off of the sourtheast. Caja de Muertos ("Coffin Island") is an uninhabited island made into a nature preserve 8 miles off of the coast of Ponce’s boardwalk. The location is protected by the Federal and local government is remote to civilian boaters and tour operators. One tour operator that has been able to pass the rigorous review process to settle into business in Ponce is Caribbean Images Tours. First and foremost Caribbean Images Tours answers their phone and when they do not answer the phone they call back. We have snorkeled in Farjardo, la Paguera and now Caja de Muertos and I must say this company is an up and coming company within the Puerto Rican tourist industry because they work hard to please, have a sense of American principles of business, cater to the customer, are early in preparation and on time to leave, and provide great service for the money. Carribean Images Tours is not a company of retirees that have come to the island to buy a boat to ride around in. Carribean Images Tours is made up of two business savvy professionals that have to come to the island to live and give back to their locale. I was able to get into a spirited discussion with Lynn on this on the way out to the island (to deep a conversation while on vacation but I enjoyed it). Lynn can just hold a conversation with anyone period so if you don’t feel comfortable on the boat you probably need a drink to loosen up. David has a dry wit, so his beautiful wife Lynn makes a great compliment. Single ladies, the tour guide Jorge is a bio major studying to become a Doctor – nice young, intelligent dude and handsome – I stayed between him and my wife (just joking).

The boat ride to Caja de Muertos is eight miles off of beautiful waters and beautiful mountainous coastline. For the avid photographer the landscapes are picturesque. On the way out Lynn and Jorge provide information on the ecosystem and wildlife. They have done their homework and are very knowledgeable from their experience in this locale. Once we arrived at our snorkeling destination, we were given a brief description of what to expect. Cards were passed out to identify the fish within this coral reef. David was very informative and made sure we were all comfortable with our snorkel equipment. We swam together as a group. We were hoping for more abundant schools and variety of fish but the coral reef and the fish we did see were amazing. I must note here that the waters were choppy and the water levels low at certain points making it difficult to swim over the reefs without scaring the fish. Most of the reefs could be maneuvered without disruption to the wildlife. Caribbean Images Tours is the only tour operator licensed to go to this island as it is a protected reserve.

Our guide, Jorge, is an excellent swimmer, bio major, native from Ponce, loves the water and knows the water to point out the schools of fish and different species. He was very attentive and very safety conscious. He verbally checked with various persons in our party to ensure that we were responsive, physically capable and not struggling with the choppy waters.

After a long period of snorkeling, Jorge our guide advised that we could swim to the beach to walk, collect shells or just sit. It made for a nice respite from the snorkeling. I consider myself to be in good shape but there is gym shape and there is swimming shape. Needless to say I probably need to work swimming into the workout. The beach was beautiful but littered in some places with trash (this is a problem throughout the island). The Puerto Rican pride needs to extend itself to this area – more respect for the environment. I am Puertoriqueno by the way – native Puerto Ricans would label me Nuyorican but I feel that I have the right to state this opinion whether it is liked or not. Caribbean Images is very eco-conscious, very respectful of the environment much more so than if they were born on the island. These are good people, running a great company. And no they did not pay me to say write this.

Caribbean Images Tours served light snacks on the boat - wheat crackers, bananas, snack bars, cheese, apples and water. If you get sea sick like me eat the crackers.
Also use the bathroom before you go. Don't drink too much water as the boat does not have a bathroom. The boardwalk does have public restrooms. If you can eat after the snorkeling the boardwalk has multiple kiosks serving food. I couldn't eat right away as I was still weak in the knees and stomach.

3  Thank Porfirio A
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Worth every penny! This is something everyone needs to experience! Our snorkeling trip with David and Lynn left us feeling like we had been with good friends! This was an amazing experience! Only one in our group had been snorkeling before but everyone caught on immediately. David was very professional in making us feel secure and was very informative as we toured the waters below. Lynn was extremely hospitable and made sure we were comfortable, well fed, and happy! This was an experience that we will remember for a lifetime and one that we would recommend to everyone! Thank you, David and Lynn! We hope to see you on our next visit to Puerto Rico!

2  Thank Susan R
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We recently visited San Juan Puerto Rico (Sept 2011) for the first time and searched for a snorkeling excursion. We were fortunate to find Caribbean Images Tours in Ponce. While it’s a 2 hour drive from San Juan, the scenery along the route to Ponce is breathtaking. Once we arrived, we were welcomed by David and Lynn, owners of the company. The boat ride to Caja de Muertos, an exclusive area to Caribbean Image Tours, was awesome. Snacks were included as part of the excursion…loved the ‘very sweet” bananas by the way. They tasted like honey...thanks Lynn. Once we arrived at our snorkeling destination, we were given a brief description of what to expect. David was very informative and made sure we were all comfortable with our snorkel equipment. We swam together as a group. David made sure our youngest swimmer was by his side. I also enjoyed snorkeling with water noodles instead of bulky life jackets. It made it much easier to swim and maneuver around. I learned so much about our “underwater world”. It was amazing to see the schools of fish, coral reefs and various sea life I’d never seen before. Be sure to bring an underwater camera. My favorite was the “feather duster” fish which really looked like one. After snorkeling, we were taken to the beach area of the island which was covered by white sand and beautiful stones. Being able to enjoy time on the beach was a plus. The amount of time we spent on this excursion was perfect. “

Next time you’re in San Juan or anywhere near Ponce, I highly recommend you book and excursion with Caribbean Images Tours….you won’t be disappointed.

1  Thank Yvonnes_Travel_Tips
See more reviews
Reviewed September 17, 2011

If you are in PR for a couple days or more, and love snorkeling and being around some nice Carribean scenery, I highly recommend you travel to Ponce to catch this charter service. Its well worth the drive from San Juan for sure. It felt like we had Caja De Muertos all to ourselves. In fact it is difficult to get a permit to take guests to this part of the island and this charter service is one of only two companies or so that is permitted to bring people to the ecologically sensitive parts of the island. All you really need to bring with you is a swimsuit, underwater camera (get a disposable one if you like), a towel and sunscreen. They have water and snacks on the boat. They also have fresh water to rinse off with if you like. Just be sure to get plenty of sunscreen on your back side before you get in the water and you'll be good to go!

The next time I am in PR I want to go again! Thanks David & Lynn!

1  Thank Scotts_Travel_Tips