“Nice restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles

El Ancla
Ranked #27 of 126 Restaurants in Ponce
Cuisines: Caribbean, Puerto Rican, Latin, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

As mentioned in other reviews the restaurant is in a questionable location, but there is nothing suspect about the food. And if you are not in to seafood there are plenty of meaty options for you to choose from.

Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent Food!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I am staying at Hilton Ponce and one friend told me about El Ancla restaurant. I went there with my friends and was a big surprise. The food is excellent, service is excellent, environment is excellent, price is excellent. WHAT DO I WANT MORE???
Carlos Vinhas

• Visited September 2013
quakertown
“Nice place !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Nice place and good food quality and variety. Service was prompt and gracious. !!!!!!!! Great lobster empanadadillas!!

• Visited August 2013
Kensington
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband & I dined at El Ancla 6 years ago and the food was absolutely delicious. We were looking forward to an equally scrumptious meal during our recent visit. Unfortunately, this was not the case.
We ordered the lobster and shrimp with mofongo as an appetizer. Instead of the mofongo being prepared with green plantain or cassava, the chef used ripe sweet plantain. Not only did this change the flavor, but the consistency of the mofongo was mushy.
Nevertheless, we overlooked the poorly prepared appetizer in anticipation of what we thought would be a spectacular main course. Once again, we were extremely disappointed.
The lobster was rubbery, dry, and tasteless despite being soaked in a butter garlic sauce. The lobster was so poorly prepared my husband left most of it on his plate. On the positive note, the shrimp was good as was the momposteado rice and tostones. Moreover, our waiter was very polite and apologetic when my husband explained that we weren't pleased with our meal.
If you are in Ponce looking for a great seafood dining experience I would skip El Ancla. It was once an amazing seafood restaurant, now the food is just subpar though the prices are very high.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Baltimore, MD
“Good food, nice service, nice view, shady area”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

This place was in a very shady area. There were many abandon buildings and warehouses prior to the restaraunt. The warehouse next to the place looked like a chop shop. Anyway, the restaraunt was nice. The prices were on the high side but it was mostly seafood so it's expected. The waiter was very friendly. I got the steak charrasco which was very good and filling. There was no included tip(which is nice) but the waiter deserved a nice tip. He was very nice. So overall it was a nice experience.

• Visited April 2013