“Getaway at the Golden Sands”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dorado
Golden Sands Villas
Reviewed January 27, 2009

Me and my boyfried stayed at the Golden Sands villas on our trip to Puerto Rico. We were skeptical about staying outside of San Juan but was pleasantly suprised to find that Dorado was a more desirable destination as opposed to San Juan. Which we can say since we stayed in San Juan for a night also.
My boyfriend took me to PR for my birthday and I was nervous about the hotel before our arrival because the reviews were varied but to be honest I was pleasantly surprised.
The room was clean and the property was well kept and easy on the eyes. Our room was also spacious with a great view. The beach was beautiful but I would recommend that you bring water shoes if you have a problem stepping in seaweed. The pool area is nice also but it's not deep so you cant really get a good swim in it, I suspect it's that way in order for it to be family friendly.
The staff was friendly but not very knowledgable and it should be noted that it is imperative for you to rent a car if you want to leave the resort for anything and taxi are expensive.
There is a Walgreens located in a shopping center right outside the entrance of the complex, but it should also be noted that the entrance to the complex is a bit of a walk from the hotel itself, about 3/4 of a mile.
The resort itself needs some entertainment, clarity in amenities since the property shares the grounds w/the Embassy suites and as a Golden sands guest you are not necesarily entitled to all of the amenties at that hotel (as hotel staff duely noted, but it's not mentioned when booking such as food and beverage, we were not allowed into happy hour, and you might be charged for your breakfast). So if you want to do more than lay around and relax there isn't much to do.
I would recommend this place for families or individuals just wanting to relax for a couple of days, honeymooner also since the property is type romantic.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 11, 2008

My wife, 1 yr old daughter, and myself arrived at Golden Sands Villas with the idea that we were not going to be happy because of the reviews. When we arrived in our room we immediately had a maintainence issue. I called the front desk and within 5 minutes a technician was on scene and ready to work. Unfortunately the problem could not be resolved quickly. Without hesitation they immediately moved us to another room, and helped with our luggage. The view was beautiful and the room was exactly what we paid for. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2008

We were a group of 4 adults and a kid that decided to look for a cool place to go for the weekend. We got there late Friday and did not got the room we paid for ( we got a studio for 2 and we were 4 adults and a 2 year old baby). I asked if they were sure that was our room and they said yes. We stayed there until saturday morning and went to the front desk to ask again. Then they noticed they gave us the wrong room (we paid for a 4 people suite) and after an hour, gave us the right room. NO apologies, NO I am sorry, NOTHING!... When I went to do the check out (very very bothered because the 4 adult suite had only 1 king bed and a NOT COMFORTABLE futton that I had sleep on with my boyfriend (there should have been 2 beds there!!) they didn't wanted to at least pay the difference in prices between the 2 rooms. They just wanted to give us a free lunch (that we had to ask for) and tried to blame it on the webpage we booked the hotel (it is NOT the web pages fault they gave us the wrong room!!!!!!). AWful service, mediocre rooms. Not going back again!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank LolaMiu
Reviewed July 9, 2008

my husband and i went to doado, pr. for our honeymoon,we had a great time, no thanks to the golden sands villas. we originally booked a suit at the embassy suits, the hotel conected to the golden sands. we booked, and paid in full for our trip in jan., we arrived on july 4th. i called two days early with my conformation number to make sure there would be no problems getting in our room on the 4th. we arrived at the embassy suits after a 9 hr flight only to find they had over booked, and we no longer had a room. WE HAD ALREADY PAID FOR THE ROOM! embassy sent us over to the golden sands and gave us an upgrade on our suit. everything was going great, we were happy at this time. the new room was very nice. we moved all of our stuff in and went down the road to a store to get a few things we needed for the next day. when we arrived back at the hotel, not even an hour later, OUR ROOM HAD BEEN GIVEN TO ANOTHER FAMILY WITH OUR STUFF INSIDE!! we had to ask this family if we could come in and get our stuff out. lucky for us this other family was very nice and didnt give us any problems. we went down to the front desk to see what had happened and nobody seemed to care that we were now roomless again a 9pm. we went over to embassy suits to complain to them as well. they were very nice and said they would do everything possible to find out what was going on and to get us another room. embassy bought us dinner and a few drinks while we waited for a room. we finally got a crappy room, not what we had paid for at 11:30pm. it was the worst experience we have ever had! dont get me wrong PR is great but the GOLDEN SANDS VILLAS SUCKS!! AND SO DOES THE PARKING

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed June 27, 2008

We spent the past week at Golden Sands Villas. I'll start out with the good stuff. The staff is very nice, friendly and helpful. The pool area is large with lots of good lounging in the sun or shade. The views from each of our rooms on opposite sides were beautiful. Here we go with the not so good stuff: Parking costs $7.50 per day and there is no parking available. So you have to double park your car and give your keys to the valet. The Valet is just a little small booth on the left side of the potholed, run down entrance to the skinny parking area. You give him your keys, tell him what your car looks like and walk away. Anyone could come behind you and say - "that's my car" - and that person would get your keys and away they'd go. Yes, they give you a hand scribbled ticket, but you don't need it to get your keys. So much for security. Our rooms costs $169 per night before taxes. The ONLY amenity was ONE day of free coffee packs for our little in-room coffee maker. After that each packet was $1.50 each. The kitchenette is a tiny sized refrigerator (ours did not cool adequately and our 1/2 gallon of milk soured before 5 days were up), a microwave and a little sink. There were no face clothes in the room, and when we asked for them we were told that they didn't have any. Later that day, someone else did have some and got them for us. In order to get a beach towel, you have to present a little blue card that charges the towel to your room if it is not returned by 10:00 at night. Sometimes the attendant requires the card, sometimes not, depends upon who is there and whether or not they feel like filling out the charge form. There are HUGE potholes (really overgrown manholes) that will tear up your car if you hit them. The east side of the island is much more modern and developed. We found Durado and the roads to Arecibo and an historical Indian site to be narrow and poorly maintained. Forget about finding anything quickly as there are no street signs and directions are extremely difficult to follow. The trip to Fajardo to Bio Bay and snorkeling were magnificent. Overall on a scale of 1-10, I'd give the hotel a 3. Not very impressive at all. Everything in PR is overpriced. The only things well worth the money are the beaches ($3 per car), the rain forest (El Yungue), don't miss the visitors center - very nice!, and the snorkeling excursions and BioBay.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank jorjapie
Reviewed June 8, 2008

We booked a holiday get-a-away on short notice. The San Juan area hotels were booked solid. The Golden Sands Villas are adjacent to the Embassy Suites hotel in Dorado, and share their amenities. We had a 2 bedroom condo, which was very spacious and comfortable. The only problem was the beach. Ocean access is blocked by a huge stone bulkhead. The "beach" is man-made, with shallow water and no waves. My teen boys were disappointed.

The pool area is very nice, the ocean views are great and the beach would be wonderful for families with small children. Just be aware that, if you want to swim in the ocean, you won't be able to do it here!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank ilovebaltimore
Reviewed April 6, 2008

This place is very difficult to find. I am really good about finding things but this place is a tuffy...

Once there the parking was few and far between. The room was below average and needs to be redone. the beds were comfortable for a one night stay. If I would have gone here as my destination resort...I would have been really disappointed.

Best thing about this place is the people that work there were all very nice and helpful. That is a big plus for us.

The hotel had a weird odor too. Couldn't put my finger on it but like I said, for a single night it was ok. More that one night? Not good.

I do think that Puerto Rico itself is like that. Just not clean anywhere...

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple