“Don't believe everything you read or see”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dorado
Golden Sands Villas
New York City, New York
“Don't believe everything you read or see”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I can't believe the mixture of reviews for this place. I traveled with friends and family, two of us in our mid 20s, two of us in our late 20s plus a mother and a grandmother. This place is the perfect place for a relaxing or family vacation. If your looking for a very touristy or partying spot this isn't the place for you. Its about a good 40 minutes from San Juan Airport, 20-25 minutes from San Juan, 30 minutes from Isla Verde. Its also 15 minutes from the Bacardi Rum factory which is FREE and give you TWO FREE DRINKS and ferry, which is only 50 cents and runs every 30 minutes, that takes you to Old San Juan. The majority of the driving is on highway.

There are a couple of things that are good to know:
1. If you're renting a car, the address to find this place is 201 Dorado Del Mar, Dorado, PR 00646 or you can enter in "Embassy Suites, Dorado Del Mar." Dorado Del Mar is the name of the section of this gated area.
2. When you arrive to the gates, enter through "Embassy Suites" visitor section on your right, once you confirm your name with the security guard, follow the road on the right and keep driving straight to the end. Its about a 2-3 minute drive. If you go left there are private houses, its a decent area and the houses are nice. There's security that drives around day and night which makes you feel a little safer.
3. Embassy Suites, Golden Sands Villas and Aquarius Vacation Club are 3 buildings that stand "side by side" they all look connected. There is one owner for all three "properties" but different management for each one.
4. The pool, restaurants and stores are owned by Embassy Suites but the hotel guests staying at the other two hotels are allowed to use it all. The restaurants and shops are within Embassy Suites hotel.
5. Google Maps doesn't show nearby supermarkets, stores, restaurants, etc. however, right when you exit the gate and approach the traffic light at the main road, across the street is a Walgreens and a 24 hour CVS. If you make a left on the main road, you'll see stores on your left hand side like Radio Shack, a dollar store, Rainbow, a supermarket, and a number of other stores. If you make a right at the main traffic light, there is a delicious restaurant called La Terraza which also offers FREE Salsa lessons after you've had your dinner (decent prices), there is a gas station near the restaurant as well.
6. There is a drive thru Krispy Kreme about 10minutes from the hotel, definitely worth stopping at.
7. There is a tourist stand inside Embassy Suites, they have all information on going on tours in PR, the prices are a little high but we took the info and did our own thing with it to save us some money. One good thing was they weren't pushy, they were nice and very helpful and informative. I didn't feel like they were trying to make a sale.
8. There is a Spa in Embassy Suites, I didn't try it but an hour massage is about $90 including taxes.
9. When driving on Route 22 (the main highway to get to and from the hotel) there is a toll to pay once each way, its $1.10 for cars and SUVs, they have the "EZ pass" type lanes, I think it was called "Auto Express" and exact toll lanes along with "Cash" lanes which have a blue "C" on them, theres usually only one cash lane open.

The hotel staff is VERY friendly and VERY helpful including the security guards. Everyone is down to earth and speak english clearly.

The rooms are standard, nothing special (I'm talking about the room we stayed in, I hear the renovated rooms are beautiful) but decent enough, comfortable and spacious - we brought a queen sized blow up bed and it fit perfectly between the sofa bed and "dining room" section (we had asked the staff prior to the trip if we could bring the blow up bed and they were completely ok wit it). We stood in a 1 Bedroom, there was a full kitchen, including a full size refrigerator, sink, small countertop section, a blender, toaster, coffee machine, electric stove top (the newer ones), with utensils, 1 full bathroom, 1 king bedroom, a jacuzzi with a mirror and sink also, flat screen tv in the living room and bedroom, a dining room table with chairs for 5, a pull out sofa bed, a ceiling fan, and a balcony, the balcony had a table and 4 chairs and was pretty roomy, the thermostat worked fine - just make sure your balcony door is closed for it to stay on or else it turns off, the only tricky thing was the shower, the hot and cold water, if you want more cold water, turn the knob towards the hot water, if you turn it towards cold more hot water comes out, not sure what that was all about but worked fine. There wasn't a lot of cold water, I think everywhere in PR the cold water is limited.

There is a casino on site, it was built 3 years ago, its small but has live music every Friday and Saturday night which was entertaining and fun, there are slots and tables to play. The place also serves drinks and sandwiches to players. The casino is not open 24/7, If I remember correctly, Monday through Saturday its open until 4AM and Sunday until 2AM, tables don't open until noon, not too sure when the casino itself opens but definitely in the morning.

The beach is nice, private and clean. The pool is always clean and doesn't have a strong chlorine smell. The Hot tub was OK, the water appeared a little dull and slightly yellow which turned me off, the bar and grille is right next to the pool with decent prices for food and drinks, I didn't taste the food but the drinks were delicious! There is a stand near the pool which is owned by Embassy Suites which rents out life savers and other pool accessories/entertainment, again prices are decent. The pool is open 24/7, there is NO lifeguard on duty during the day or obviously at night.

There are two iguanas that hang around the pool area but they don't bother you. There is a restroom outside near the pool area.

One more thing, these pictures posted on this site and Expedia, etc do NOT give it justice. The pool area has such a tropical/paradise feel that I truly felt like I was in the Caribbean.

Seeing these reviews and pictures prior to my trip had me very skeptical and a little worried but once I got there I was so glad I didn't let them stop me from giving it a chance.

This is my first review ever on tripadvisor and made it a point to complete this because of not enough credit being given and because some tips and info needed to be shared to assist others. I really hope my review helps others.

I will definitely visit this place again. Well worth the money.

Room Tip: Whether you book with Golden Sands or Aquarius Vacation Club, the main hotel system is Aquarius Vaca...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
8 Thank Guberish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We flew into San Juan and were to stay at this hotel for 3days/2nights. First of all, finding this place was a hassle.

If you put in Golden Sands Villas, GPS/Maps take you to some residential complex about 20min from the hotel. Search either through the street address or Embassy Suites to reach the hotel. The place we stayed in was called something else.

The hotel itself is really nice. It is gated and well maintained. They have a pool and a 10 sec access to a fairly secluded beach. For the 2 nights that we were there, there were only about 10 people on the beach. It wasn't so clean though; the day we were leaving, there was a cleanliness drive.

This hotel doesn't have a restaurant; you have to go to either Embassy Suits or order from a couple of other restaurants that are walking distance. Plus, they charge you for parking ~$ 12/day.

The rooms are clean, well maintained and furbished.

It is about a 45min drive from the airport (if you put in the right address).

Room Tip: 1) Put in the right address 2) There is no restaurant in the hotel and Embassy Suits might be too p...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank libranof1987
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is not a resort type hotel, the hotel located in adjacency to Embassy suites so all the facilities - gym, pool, restaurants, travel agent, beach all shared.
We (young couple)stayed in this hotel just because of the price, we came to Puerto Rico to travel and hike, so we just slept there and it was just fine.
Although if you looking for nice vacation it's not the place!!! The room+ balcony was dirty, the towels had stains or were teared, the carpet was stained as well.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tsipi123
Eunice, Louisiana
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at 11am off cruise ship. We were told that early check in available, it wasn't. We were told we could use pool, which was beautiful and could eat lunch in the hotel next door- restaurant Closed. We were told by the staff of the neighboring hotel we could eat in outside bar and grill. This place is so poorly staffed it took 45 min to get a burger. We finally made it to room, it smells musty, no thermostat , fan doesn't work and front desk won't answer phone. I had an amazing stay in rio grande, an amazing cruise and a nightmare end to it all. I will NEVER book at this hotel, embassy or hilton. The management apparently does not care

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Wilkerson1551
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This place is a dump. Moldy and damp. Ac froze you out could not control the thermostat. Carpet;furniture; linen stained. Maids would take your towels and not leave fresh ones had to ask every night for towels
Beach area was dirty with garbage. Staff was friendly but not knowledgeable of ccertain issues. And one of the security guards that was working there threw a coconut at the iguanas my husband was admiring and injured it. Thank god my son did not see this. I will never recommend this place to anyone. We ended up leaving and going to the Hyatt down the street which was beautiful.

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Wendy W
Bronx, New York
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I was concerned when i first read the reviews. Some good, some not so good. But my family and i had a wonderful time. We loved the amenities, pool, beach, restaurant, etc.

We had a two bedroom, Yes, it could use a little upgrading. But it was big and comfortable, The staff was pleasant and we enjoyed ourselves.

And that's what it was all about. :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2013

It took us over 3 hours in our rental to find this hotel, once we arrived we discovered it to be very nice but directions given to us were AWFUL! It is attached to the Embassy Suites and this is all they needed to tell us when giving directions. It has a nice beach and the pool area is nice and clean. We only spent one night there as we wanted (read my husband) to visit the satellite, areceibo, before we left for our cruise.

Room Tip: Ask for a ocean front, not ocean-view. Our room had washer/dryer/ and full kitchen.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorado
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Caribe Hilton San Juan
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#20 of 47 in San Juan
Aquarius Vacation Club at Dorado del Mar Beach & Golf Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Golden Sands Villas? Share your experiences!