“Awesome Propery in Puerto Rico!”

Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dorado
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Alexandria, VA
“Awesome Propery in Puerto Rico!”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We spent 10 glorious days at the fabulous Dorado Beach Ritz-Carlton Reserve. From the minute you arrive until you leave, they go out of their way with wonderful service-one of the best we have experienced anywhere in the word! Everyone greats you with a smile, most by name. They give you little coconut popsicles at check-in, which is fast and you are zipped to your room in a golf cart.

We were in a regular king room-very spacious with a balcony and great views of the beach. The accommodation's were fantastic-big bedroom, nice king bed, indoor and outdoor shower(we used the entire time) nice big dressing area. The beach attendant was great- he set up our chairs, umbrella's towels and brought us a cooler with water. The pools are fabulous too-great service with water, drinks and treats in the afternoon. A guy rides around and gives out free coconuts to drink every afternoon between 1 and 2.

The restaurant's are wonderful-you start each day at Mi Casa with wonderful ladies greeting you by name- to the excellent breakfast table buffet. The buffet is great, lots of choices or you can order off of the menu. We also had great dinner's here-staff are well trained, food great and views to die for-especially at sunset. Our children loved the dessert's!

We also had great lunches and dinner's at Encanto- a lovely open air restaurant overlooking the beach. Wonderful and very friendly staff-Roland was especially nice! We did a wish candle one night-a fun thing to look into. There is also a nice pool and beach.

Positivo- another favorite- is nice for lunch but a little slow for dinner. The tables to get are right in the sand-worth the wait!! Great bar with wonderful drinks-love the Mango Daiquiri"s with fresh mango and the Frozen Moijito! The staff here are great - they greet you by name and go out of their way to accommodate you. Fabulous chips and guacamole!

I went to the spa-one of the prettiest I have ever seen! Great manicure and fabulous foot treatment-I could have stayed all day! Thanks Giovanna!

The hotel also gives you bikes to ride-a nice way to see the very extensive property. There is a fun water park and another beach to go paddleboarding, surfing or just to walk. It is nice and flat. There is also a small snack bar/bar to have lunch.

There is another restaurant called Zafra-up at the golf club. The hotel takes and picks you up in a golf cart. It is a nice alternative one night for a change of venue-we had a wondertul waiter! I wish I could remember his name.

We left the property one day for a tour of Old San Juan and the Bacardi Factory. A nice day with a very informative guide named Orlando. We had a nice lunch in the courtyard of El Convento Hotel.

We had a fabulous time at this property-one of the best we have ever stayed-up there with Sugar Beach in St. Lucia, Four Seasons Nevis, Sandy Lane in Barbados, Cap Juluca in Anguilla and Jumby Bay in Antigua! the grounds are beautiful-very lush and tropical. I miss hearing the coqui at night! They are the tree frogs that chirp at sundown. Highly recommend!! We were sad to leave but will be back!

Room Tip: We were on the west beach side on the second floor, nice balcony with nice and comfortable seating.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Jonesfab
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Jonesfab,

I want to thank you for sharing your recent experience of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve! We are truly humbled and delighted to hear that you consider the service at The Reserve as "one of the best that you have ever experienced throughout the world!" We pride ourselves in delivering gracious hospitality to all of our distinguished guests.

I have to agree that Mi Casa by Jose Andres is an outstanding restaurant and continues to garner wonderful reviews. Encanto, the open air restaurant is on the top of the list as well and I am happy that you had fun with the "Wishing Candle Ceremony", our guests always have fun with this experience.

Spa Botanico is definitely not to be missed and I appreciate your comments regarding Giovanna's manicure an fabulous foot ritual service.

Thank you again for your gracious comments and I look forward to personally welcoming you back in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

George M. Sotelo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
brooklyn NY
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Our plan was similar to that of another reviewer, go for drinks and /or a light bite and look the place over, wanting to see what they'd done with the old resort and whether we might want to consider staying in future. The other reviewer said they weren't allowed in as 'non-guests' and a phone call confirmed this, BUT...they must have changed their policy, because I phoned in March and was told by a very pleasant employee that one or two (I can't recall, but at least one..) of the 3 restaurants were open to guests, as long as we called ahead and said we were coming by; one required reservations, one did not. We arrived at the gate, gave our name and said we were heading for the Sand Bar (Positivo), and were told "have a nice time!" The valets parked our car, and this was the big 'cold water' - an $18 charge, no self-park options, and we hadn't anticipated this. Oh well, all in the cost of the experience, shrugged it off as we were there already, and intent on visiting. Have to say the place is gorgeous, grounds, units (from what we could see..), open lobby, pools, fountains etc. Positivo was a lovely 'sand bar' indeed, very very casual, we ordered up a couple of martini and bar menu concoctions, the waitstaff to a one was almost embarrassingly pleasant and solicitous. We enjoyed the sunset, took a stroll, and off we went. Just wanted to put this on here to counter the notion that they might diss non-staying customers -- we were treated very, very well. The menu looked nice, too, and not preposterously priced. We'd probably go back some evening for dinner, I would think, and iIf the budget allows, would love to stay for a couple of nights someday.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bklynbiker
Dear Bkylnbiker,

Thank you for your recent post regarding your experience at Positivo Sand Bar located at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve. The resort prides itself on being a private haven and exotic sanctuary for our resort guests hence one of the reasons why it has become a favorite. We also welcome and invite guests from surrounding resorts and the community to experience our innovative restaurants and lounges.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the martinis while having the sunset as your backdrop and hopefully have the opportunity to personally meet you in the future upon your return.

Best Regards,

East Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

We are here right now, and we don't want to leave. Seclusion and luxury. Every suite faces the ocean and beach. Gorgeous pools, stunning spa, service perfection. Smallest suite is nearly 1000 sq feet. RESERVE is the super luxury wing of the Ritz Carlton chain. The property is a world class paradise.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank travler153
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Travler153,

Thank you for you recent post of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve.

We are delighted to hear that you did not want to leave The Reserve and that you throughly enjoyed the "gorgeous pools, stunning spa, and the service perfection".

I appreciate your comments and I look forward to personally welcoming you back to our exotic sanctuary in the near future.

Warm Regards,

New York City
Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was the most gorgeous beach place to kick back and relax I have ever been. Beautiful beaches, great food, miles of walks on the property, overpriced and dreamy spa area. The
hotel rooms were to die for. The suites were bigger than most New York apartments and some had plunge pools and balconies. The bathrooms were large and gorgeous, the lighting made sense. The pool was warm, the cocktails tempting. I doubt I will ever be able to go back but I would in a shot. Just stunning, especially when the weather is 10 degrees in NYC and the streets are piled high with grey snow.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank newyorkanya
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Newyorkanya,

I want to thank you for your recent review of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve. I am glad to hear that The Reserve was the perfect place to kick back and relax while avoiding the frigid tempratures of NYC..

The resort was built with the guests in mind and the reason that all of our accommodations are oversized and tastefully designed and larger than some apartments.

The resort offers rich packages throughout various times of the year and I would encourage to visit the website to explore them. I hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to the resort.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Amazing spot. We stayed at the ritz in San Juan and moved because it was not as expected. Beautiful beach and pool area. 5 stars for sure.

The rooms are amazing and the whole plantation offers plenty of activities for the whole family. Tennis, golf and bike rides- what else can you ask for. The food was absolutely amazing and our whole family had no complaints- which says a lot because we are quite particular.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Callieleeutton
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed March 18, 2014

On a recent visit to Puerto Rico to conduct a few hotel site visits on behalf of 2 clients, I had the pleasure of touring the Dorado Ritz Carlton. I had identified this property as a potential location for a small Corporate Incentive Trip and my instincts were spot on. Along the drive in we viewed the beautiful golf course which immediately set the tone. In addition to golf, there are plenty of things to do while the resort is able to maintain a relaxed feeling of serenity. Each guest room comes with a private ambassador to handle your every need (if you even have any). The rooms are appointed with delicate, upscale flair. The spa is quite unusual and gives you the feeling of being in Bali. The meeting space is nicely laid out with lots of windows, along with the ability to completely darken if necessary. This would be a perfect destination for an incentive trip or corporate meeting. It's also great for couples or a weekend getaway with friends.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank MameNoonan
tlcrn
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I just got home and couldn't wait to write this review. Also, we are already planning our trip back next year. My husband and I go to Hawaii all the time, as it is easy to get to from LA. But this was our first time in Puerto Rico. I thought it would be our only trip there, then on to the next experience, but I was wrong. It is so beautiful there and this resort is amazing. The minute we drove through the gates we were in awe. It's beautiful. The grounds are so lush. It's what I think it's going to be like in Hawaii, but isn't. The reason is that Laurance Rockefeller owned this property and was one of the original conservationists. He wanted nothing built that was taller than a palm tree. The Ritz carries on that philosophy.
So, when we arrived, they greeted us with fruit popsicles, yum, and took us up to reception. The reception lobby is all outdoors with the most amazing view past the pool, palm trees to the ocean. Breathtaking. Then we are introduced to our "embajador'. I want to say that the embajador is like your assistant/helper/go to person while you are there. They aren't only yours, you share them with other guests, but it seemed like they were always right there when we needed them. Jimmy was there every day for us. He was amazing. He handled EVERYTHING without us even asking. He set up beach chairs, brought water, helped with directions, recommendations on dining. Anything. He was great. I will try to request him next year. Our evening embajador, Soraya, gave us a great tour of the property via golf cart, before taking us to our room.
Our room was BEAUTIFUL!!!! We had a first level room in building 1 on west beach with a plunge pool. It was fantastic. Big, comfy bed. Gorgeous bathroom with lots of natural light and an outdoor shower that we used every day! Also, there was champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries awaiting us for our anniversary.
We went to the Positivo Beach club for a casual dinner the first night. It is beautiful, casual and on the sand. Our server greeted us and asked our names. When we told her she said "Hey, Happy Anniversary". How did she know?? Crazy great personal service and attention to detail.
The pool is gorgeous. The spa was GREAT!! Go early in your trip so that you can go again. Bring your bathing suit and use the facilities. Get a tree massage!!
Take advantage of the free bicycles and take a tour of the Rockefeller trail. It's gorgeous. The gym is nice too. Try the fish tacos for lunch at the Encanto Beach Club restaurant. Yummy!! Eat at Mi Casa. Portions are not huge, but then I am an over eater! But the food is great! Original and unique and delicious!
I wish you could ask me questions if you wanted to about this amazing place. Because, I can't just keep going on and on. But, it's about the people. And they are amazing at this resort.

Room Tip: On the west end building 1 is furthest from the central resort area, so that involves lots of walkin...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tlcrn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorado
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
W Retreat & Spa Vieques
W Retreat & Spa Vieques
#4 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve? Share your experiences!