Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
  • Breakfast included
$178
Travelocity
  • Pool
Comfort Inn & Suites Levittown(Toa Baja)(Great Value!)
$107
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $126/night.

$141
$73
$70
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmi casaplunge poolwest beachoutdoor showerjose andrespositivo sand bargolf cartspa botanicopuerto ricocomplimentary bikesnature trailrockefeller trailwater parkfour seasonsstunning propertyin room diningbeach service
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My Husband and I recently returned from an eight night stay at the new Dorado Ritz Reserve. I have been traveling to this property since I was two years old and even as it changed hands from Rockresorts to Regent to Hyatt. It shut down in 2004 and we have been anxiously waiting for it to reopen.

The property is stunning. Ritz Carlton has kept the rooms very similar to the prior setup but have modernized the rooms and we found them to be comfortable and luxurious. You can still slide open the doors and jump into the ocean but now you have your own plunge pool. You can essentially live out of your room all down which to me is an ultimate luxury. Elevator hotels just do not have the same appeal. The beach is still gorgeous as ever and the two new pools allow you to take in the ocean views which before was never possible. The food was excellent but we found Mi Casa to be a tad loud for dinner. TIp: go mid week to Mi Casa were the restaurant is not as crowded. Encanto and Positivo offer a more relaxing atmosphere for dinner. The whole week my husband and I had the whole beach to ourselves. There are now crowds at Dorado like other resorts in puerto Rico. The $1500 a night rate is steep but you feel like nothing less then totally relaxed and pampered when you leave. This is truly a special place. Anniversary and special birthday you cannot go wrong. Additionally these rooms are great for children becasue you can sit on the beach while your children are relaxing in the pool behind you. Alejandro the general manager was there to greet us upon arrival and assured us that he would make us as comfortable as possible. My husband and I prefer buildings 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 because the ocean is swimmable there. Buildings 6 and 7 and up has a rocky shoreline for swimming but the views are amazing. Cannot wait to return to paradise with my children this time. ASk for Roberto at the encanto bar. He makes a cocktail that is truly superior and has a welcoming personality.

Dorado Beach is still a legendary shining star!

Room Tip: best rooms are buildings 5 thru 1. get bottom floor with plunge pool for the ultimate experience.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank baskingridge
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We visited for an afternoon while celebrating my husband's birthday with a couples massage. The treatments were some of the best ever (and we have a few massages per year at luxury resorts). Our only regret about the whole experience was not being able to have a longer visit. The Spa is out of this world with decoration, fountains, and the natural habitat. All of your senses are captivated especially from the entry into the gorgeous barn with the natural fragrances. The locker rooms, showers, and whole experience are out of this world. We both went in the steam rooms, jacuzzis, and cold plunge pool...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank AnnieDR10
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I traveled for a quick weekend trip with our two sons ages 12 and 7. While my research made me feel that I would love the look of the resort, I managed my husband's expectations around the services of a newly opened establishment. However, from the moment we arrived at the Dorado Ritz with the staff standing outside like a Carribean Downton Abbey - we knew were in for a very special weekend. As we walked up the steps to the reception area juxtaposed to a reflection pool with lovely water lillies - I gasped at the view of the beautiful infinity pool against the dramatic surf in the open air architecture. I have always loved Rockefeller resorts like Caneel Bay, Mauna Kea and the Boulders. This resort has the feel of the others yet is contemporary, sexy and chic. The grounds are amazing.
We were shown a one bedroom suite on the ground floor with a plung pool in building six but felt with the two boys we would be a bit cramped. If my children were younger it would be fine and is superb for couples on their own. We upgraded to a two room suite with a rooftop cabana and pool. It was a dream. At night my husband and older son played backgammon on the large mattress chaise while my 7 year old plunged in the lit plunge pool like an exotic and thoroughly happy fish. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the bathrooms are large. I loved taking a warm outside shower in the rain. It was magical.
My husband and 12 year old took surf lessons at the water sports area and had a super time. We enjoyed taking lunches at Encanto with a child friendly menu and pool. I also saw people enjoying picnics set up outside their rooms on the beach by their personal butlers.
The food at Mi Casa was excellent and we ate there two nights in a row. It is beautifully decorated and I won't spoil the very special and enchanting greeting one gets when arriving! Don't miss the special margaritas with the salted foam.. Highly recommend the tuna tartare and the ham! The breakfasts were also delicious with the excellent coffee. We also loved the bar area with the sand floor and the wide screen tv for watching sports games. They've thought of everything.
The spa was an amazing experience. It is truly one of the most beautiful spaces I have ever seen with different staging areas to enhance the drama of the experience. Loved dunking warm water from a bucket on my head! It is truly unique and should not be missed.
My children had a blast. Perhaps my favorite moment was my 7 year old in an inner tube at the tastefully done water park with his hands pumping over his head yelling, "Best vacation ever!"
Perfect balance of high service, beautiful surroundings, world class accomodations and fun for a family or a romantic get away for two. When can we go back? Special shout outs to Rebecca and Alejandro for going above and beyond.

Room Tip: The building 1 through 5 are on the best swimming beach. Definitely get a plunge pool if you can afford it. Avoid room that is right next to Mi Casa as it could be loud at night.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
19  Thank rdkflk
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Unique simply means "one of a kind" - this property is unique in every way. First - it was completely designed to be energy efficient and is an open air hotel so even the reception area at check-in is one of a kind. Alejandro the general manager is incredibly experienced at providing a first hand, first class experience. He personally greets every guest as they arrive and makes them feel as though he is welcoming you to his home - isn't that they way a fine resort should feel? Yet keep in mind - this isn't a resort, its truly an oasis. If there is a concept of a 6 star hotel as many have stated - then this is it. Here are some helpful specifics:

BEACH

Amazing, rocks to break up the waves and sand that has been cleaned out so no rocks or issues. Water is crystal clear - gorgeous.

LOCATION

Around 45 minutes from San Juan airport - good signage to find the hotel once you get nearby.

PROPERTY

Zen Like and very quiet - yet tons going on. Finding the balance between staff that is readily available yet stuff and in your face is not particularly easy. Yet, in this case - they have done it - there is staff everywhere (at least a 1 to 1 ratio of staff to guest) yet you feel like you are on your own private island or at your own private "reserve".

FACILITIES

Just about everything you would want at a top notch caribbean destination...and if they don't have something you want... let me know and they will find a solution for you...

ROOMS

Second to none - views are amazing - you are right on the beach - the beds are comfortable and the views from the beds to the ocean are incredible. The bathrooms are like none anywhere else in the world - just trust me - so you can be surprised...

FOOD

At this point - the only area that deserves some constructive criticism. As you can read smaller portions and the quality is good but not up to the rest of the standards here nor other Ritz Carlton's...that is surprising but perhaps it's because it is early. Would expect a nice piece of Salmon at En Canto one of the restaurants but its at best 6 ounces and maybe even 5 and its not that special.

OVERALL

When they say - "let us know if you have any special requests" they really do mean it - so speak up if something is not the way you want it or you have a special need. The facility is unreal - the landscaping like nothing you have ever seen and the staff - ready, willing, able and HAPPY to help...

Room Tip: Main Floor King Room Plunge Pool - cannot go wrong with any room you book - they are all amazing - that was the plan clearly when they set out building this property. EVERY ROOM is on the beach and facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank M B
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We visited the Ritz Carlton which just opened up mid December 2012. Our family lives in the adjacent community off the golf course. The buildings are spectacular and unobtrusive to the natural beauty of the area. This is definitely paradise....

We had drinks at the bar by their pool area on the beach - again a gorgeous view and top notch design. The staff at the bar was very courteous. While in PR we definitely realized a more laid back culture on the island which sometimes equates to slow service or a lower level of service - sadly.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family