“Nothing luxurious but very enjoyable”

Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dorado
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon and were very pleased. While it's not a super luxurious place, the amenities are great, staff is courteous and the pool and beach are wonderful. It wasn't crowded at all when we stayed here in September of 2011 which was great because there was always a good spot on the beach. The ocean was blue and clean and lovely and the hotel provides beach towels. There is an outdoor bar/restaurant between the pool area and beach that serves "bar food" (i.e. chicken wings, tenders, cheeseburgers, wraps, etc.). Nothing special about the food but certainly not bad at all. There are no shuttles here (that I remember anyway) so you would have to rent a car but we had no trouble getting around in a rental car. Noteworthy is that the hotel is not in walking distance to any restaurants or bars - in the car it's fine though. There are a couple of strip malls nearby with bakeries and fast food places but if you're looking for authentic Puerto Rican food you have to drive a few miles down the road to Terraza which has great food. Also noteworthy is that the hotel is directly next door to an abandoned hotel but that didn't bother us as we are not picky. There are green tarps all around the perimeter to mask the abandoned building. I may be mistaken but the abandoned hotel may be pictured on the left in the main photo of the hotel's Trip Advisor page. Again, I could be wrong but that may be an old picture. Once again though, not a big deal as the Hacienda del Mar is lovely and we had a great stay (even in the middle or Hurricane Irene we had no complaints).

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for an ocean view if that's what you want as not all are ocean view. We had to...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed here for ten days and it was the longest ten days of my life. There was nothing to do but go to the beach and back to room. "boring"!! The website shows alot of accomadations that look really good viewing, but when you get their and ask about them they have closed. Sounds like false advertising to me. Save your money go somewhere else!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Thanks to everyone that wrote reviews on this hotel as you all have been 'spot on'. As a diamond Hyatt passport member this hotel was pretty disappointing. My wife, myself and my 1 year old just came back from here two days ago having spent New Years at the Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar.

The hotel itself really needs a lot of updating as its pretty outdated. With the hotel next door that has been closed for awhile it really is an eye sore to the property. The pools were absolutely filthy and ice cold. There is only one restaurant (Bohio Bar) on the property so I would definitely recommend hitting up the local market (Amigo) on your way in. Stock up on groceries as each unit does have a full kitchen available for your use. If you venture out Pika (steak restaurant) is right around the corner which is the only thing in walking distance. Great food as we went there for New Year's Eve.

Also, if you are planning on venturing out I would recommend renting a car as there is absolutely nothing around the hotel.

The only good thing about this hotel are the people working at it. The service (especially the folks working the front desk and the maid staff) were excellent. I say this as our reservation was completely screwed up (thanks to Hyatt passport) but the front desk staff straightened everything out and actually gave us an upgraded room.

Overall, I would definitely read the reviews of others that have stayed at this property before booking here. If you are going to stay in Dorado there is a Ritz Carlton that just opened two months ago which looks amazing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We had a short vacation scheduled for this resort (1/1-1/5) and had serious concerns after reading all of the negative reviews on this site. We called ahead with our concerns and arrived expecting the worst. We had been there probably ten years ago when it was lovely. The Old Dorado hotel is now a beautiful Ritz Carlton but the old Cerromar is still standing, in disrepair and an eyesore behinbd a fence. We weregiven a corner room on the 7th floor with a beautiful view of the ocean. The furnishings were dated but the rooms were very clean and comfotable. Staff was friendly and service was excellent. When we asked for additional towels they were brought them to us within minutes. Same with coffee. Impressive as everything else in Puerto Rico seemed to be in slow speed (except the drivers!). The pool was clean as was the fitness room which was well equipped. Puerto Rico is easy to get to from Northern New Jersey and the weather is predictable nice this time of year. That's why we went. We are unlikely to return to Puerto Rico any time soon (as we prefer other places in the Caribbean but the Hyatt was certainly an acceptable place to stay.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the 7th (of 8) floor and it was quiet, clean and lovely.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DRELS
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at this resort in Dorado Beach from 12/27 to 12/30/2012. I'd have to say that this is one of the most dated resorts that I have ever stayed in. I agree with the other posters that most everything in the rooms, decor, bedding, etc. is very dated and worn. So that, I didn't love. However: here is the summary:

The good: The beach is secluded, small and quaint and very unique. It totally had its charm. The pool bar is the only place to get food and its very basic but it was fine. I had french toast in the morning and hamburgers at lunch and it worked for the basic days at the beach area.

You should definitely have a car if you are traveling to this hotel because of the limited food choices as you will definitely need and want to eat at the other restaurants in Dorado.

The bad: The bedding was old and not comfortable at all. I was on the ground floor and a small lizard was in the bathroom when I went to use it. My husband had to catch the lizard. It was not good.

I would not really recommend that anyone stay here. We made the best of it but its just not that nice of a place. I don't understand the other reviewers who like this place but to each his own I guess.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Checking was smooth and I got upgraded due to diamond status on hyatt. The pool area needs more maintenance, there were particles in the hot tub and sauna. This is really not acceptable. The front desk staff was very attentive and helped out really well during emergencies. The quality of furnishings is outdated and needs a strong update. Curtains were old, some were stained, the floor was a little chipped in the apartment they gave us. The biggest problem was when we checked in to the room to find the floor full of sand and flies! All in all a horrific experience. The staff promptly cleaned this but this leaves an impression on maintenance standards at the hotel. You start to question the quality and cleaning audits that need to happen after a room is cleaned - we suspect that there are none! Additionally the toilet was leaking.., while this was fixed all this still points to a property hat demands updates and better maintenance! I have to commend the staff though as they were for the most part very helpful! The food was fairly good. As a diamond member I have stayed at so many hyatts over the years but I just don't think this lives up to the same standards!

Room Tip: Give them your gold passport - you will get better response! The best rooms are the ones on corner...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jhulelal
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We have been going to this resort for many years. It is always clean, staff are always friendly and eager to assist to make your stay pleasurable. Many of the staff have been there for years and provide excellent service. The resort that is closed next door is not part of the Hyatt. They have no control over it. The management staff works tirelessly to provide improved services to the guests. This year water sports, a new restaurant owner to try to improve service in response to complaints and arranging for on site car rentals have been noted. Plans to update the resort are being implemented. If you are looking for a quiet and beautiful beach then you should come. No fighting for beach chairs or overcrowding in the pool area. A great place for a family beach vacation.

Room Tip: All have ocean view. 5 th floor and above are better as you can see over the palms easier.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ahna123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorado
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
3 mi away
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
Hyatt Place San Juan/Bayamon
Comfort Inn & Suites Levittown
Aquarius Vacation Club at Dorado del Mar Beach & Golf Resort
13 mi away
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar? Share your experiences!