We returned from a week at the Embassy Suites Dorado Del Mar, Puerto Rico on MArch 7 ( flight home was a nightmare thanks to Continental, but that's another story) I can't say enough good things about the hotel and staff- it's a perfect place for anyone looking for a low key, relaxing vacation in beautiful surroundings- beach is small but more than adequate if you just like to float around and cool off, pool area was large enough that you could actually swim around without crashing into people and the hot tub in a corner of the pool secluded by plants was never that crowded.
The staff kept our room immaculate - i would say to try a room on the upper floor as the weekend entertainment can get very loud- but if you close your inner door, you won't hear it-
although there were quite a few families with young children, we must have hit a week where the hotel wasn't fully booked because we were able to find quiet areas to retreat to. Free Breakfast could be busy but that varied and we were even able to grab one of the few tables on the little balcony area overlooking the gorgeous courtyard on several mornings. If you ask the cooks to throw the lukewarm pre-cooked meats and potatoes on the grill as they cook your made to order eggs, it greatly improves the meal-
The free cocktail hour was a nice littel break after a day in the sun, sefvice was good and drinks were premium brands. Not for big drinkers though- 2 per person limit- which was plenty for us.
Everyone working there, from the front desk to the kids who helped set up chairs and give out towels, seemed to really enjoy their jobs and get along with each other and would help with anything we asked. the restaurant across from the lobby, Oregano, had a good variety, good value and the food was better than we expected. Go into town to El Ladrillo for a treat- the local art on the walls is an extra plus- a little pricey but well worth it.
There are stores close by outside the complex - no problem finding things you might need- plenty of familiar chains around.
if you go to the Bacardi plant, ask about the ferry in CAtano and take that to Old San Juan for 50 cents- don't drive! the traffic can be brutal and there's no place to park- you can grab a cab once there or walk up to El MOrro-
Just be careful if you drive not to miss the turn off as you get close to Dorado- get good directions, as there is no sign for Dorado going west from the airport once you get off the main highway- exit for Dorado is right after toll -
if you aren't looking for lots of action on the premises, this is a great place to use as either a relaxing hideout or a central location to travel to other nearby tourist sites. but we found the grounds and hotel itself to be so inviting, we didn't leave to do any sightseeing for 5 days!
Don't bother going to the Casino at the Hyatt with the free shuttle - disgusting, smelly and run down- not worth it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only all suite beachfront resort in Puerto Rico offering a peaceful alternative to bustling San Juan, our beachfront resort is located in the charming town of Dorado, and only a short drive to the capital city. This relaxing retreat offers spacious two room suites and tropical views from your balcony. This resort also offers great value with free made-to-order breakfast and an evening reception. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Embassy Suites Dorado Del Mar Beach & Golf Hotel Dorado
- Embassy Suites Dorado Del Mar Beach And Golf Resort
- Puerto Rico Embassy Suites
- Dorado Embassy Suites