“Smelly room. Needs upgrading”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dorado
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is on a road with many speed bumps you have to about 15 minutes if you want to get anywhere on time. The staff are very helpful and friendly. The room was clean but the layers of paint couldn't hide the wear and tear. There was a weird odor in the room. Glad we were there for just one night.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Judy B
Isaias R, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Judy B:

Thank you for staying with us. First of all, thank you for your review. I understand that you found your room be somewhat dated and in need of renovations as well as there being an unpleasant odor. I do appreciate your candor; we look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and our guest rooms’ appearance as this is an area we are actively examining. I welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share.

Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts with us. We value you as a guest, and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns! Please stay with us again soon so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Isaias Rodriguez

Reviewed January 29, 2014

If you are planning to golf there, the golf course was closed 2 weeks ago. So be prepared to make tee time in a different golf course in the area (there are several) ... do it in advance and be prepared for premium prices. Beyond that the hotel is in a nice location, but need some Tender, Love & Care. Do not expect a top rated facility

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Juan L
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I had a very good experience in staying in this hotel. The rooms are very clean and the staff very helpful and nice. The breakfast was delicious. Very good service and comfortables rooms. I wiil stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my sister for a quick getaway (from the cold NE!)

This hotel is located on the beach but it's not the nice fine sandy beach one would hope for. Perhaps that's just Puerto Rico, I'm not sure but this beach was hard to walk on barefoot as the "sand" was so coarse it hurt my feet and there was seaweed in clumps. I'm not sure they rack the beach much if at all. It's a small beach area as well.

On the good side, the pools were fantastic! Have to try the coconut filled with pina colada, yummy! And if there is any drink left that doesn't fill the coconut they will give that to you.

The manager's happy hour each night was really fun. You can have any drink you want as often as the happy hour lasts. They always have a happy hour drink special which were great. They also include popcorn and a variety of snacks.

The entire staff was fantastic from check in to pool side bar/café. Everyone was super friendly and as helpful as they could be.

I would suggest you rent a car but be aware that the valet parking is about $20/night and the self park is about $12/night. You will probably want to leave the hotel for dinner or site seeing. The food at the hotel is just okay, nothing special, and I would suggest you try dinner in town. I'd also suggest you go to Old San Juan, great place to walk around and soak in some history. They have two FREE trollies that you can hop on/ hop off at designated location, see the link here for more details (http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/). One trolley takes you around the city, stopping at the forts and the other one takes you into the city also stopping at the forts.

The hotel needs updating for sure however the rooms, and entire hotel, were very clean. I would come back to this hotel, as a matter of fact I met several people that come back to this hotel each time they go to Puerto Rico. It wasn't my favorite as it was quick secluded and, as I stated earlier, needs updating.

The next time I visit Puerto Rico I'll stay in Old San Juan.

2  Thank mrosewhite
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We were two couples needing an overnight in San Juan before heading off on a cruise. There were no rooms available in San Juan and ultimately were referred to the Embassy Suites Dorado.

We had about a 30-40 minute ride from the airport and were pleasantly surprised by this property.

Yes, it does look like an Embassy Suite hotel with the large atrium, but the similarities stop there.

The property opens to a very nice garden/pool complex that leads to the gated beach. The beach has a man-made sea wall that cuts the large ocean swells to very small wavelets as they lap up to the shore.

The pool has every thing from a children's waterfall/wading pool, to a gentle and shallow stairless entry, to multiple hot tubs. All surrounded by nice plantings with a central bar/dinning structure.

There is a daily free Happy Hour that should not be missed.

The late lunch, early dinner we had by the pool was excellent as was the complimentary breakfast the next morning. Timing is everything when it comes to hotel open breakfasts, and I must say that everything on the buffet was fresh and tasty.

We met many locals who were there for the weekend just for an in country getaway.
This property, with the golf course, is definitely a destination in itself. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Request an Ocean View. There is no added cost for this.
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Stayed overnight before leaving for a cruise and found this hotel to be outstanding. It looks out over the ocean and has a dramatic garden, pool, ocean complex. Hotel is about a half hour drive from the San Juan airport, but worth the drive. There is something for everyone and don't be afraid to make this a destination for a longer stay. The daily complimentary cocktail party was superb and the morning breakfast was first class. Our room was clean and comfortable and very large. We were fairly surprised at how nice this property is.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Okay, so overall this is your typical Embassy Suites hotel. So the standards are pretty on par with others I've visited. Overall, I would stay here again, but there are some pros and cons to consider.

Breakfast. Breakfast is included in the price of your room. Stay away from the scrambled eggs sitting in the warmer--yuck does not even begin to cover it. But they do make fresh omelets and if you are not an omelet fan, they'll also make you fried eggs. The doughnuts are insanely delicious--so good, they are a must have. The area can get crowded so I recommend one of two things: (1) get there before 8:30; or (2) be prepared to take your food to the outdoor tables or back to your room.

Happy Hour. Totally worth the price of the room. The drinks are solidly good and since they are free you can't complain. If you are a beer lover though you're going to be disappointed, they only serve Busch Light--which reminds me of my college days.

Rooms. Rooms are standard and set up like all Embassy Suites. They are nice, clean and don't have a musty smell. The beds are not particularly comfortable, but we enjoyed the happy hour enough that we survived. The shower is really quite good and the products they give you for your hair were nice as well. A hint, the blow dryer is located in the closet, so don't freak like we did when you get there and can't locate it in the bathroom.

Pool. The pool was fantastic. I loved it. If you want constant sun on your chair I suggest you head to the chairs in the grass right against the fence by the ocean. It has sun from about 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Other areas result in shade at times. Also this location is great b/c you are able to hear the waves of the ocean.

Beach. It's pretty to look at it, but don't walk on it too far without sandals. It's not soft sand. Also they don't seem to clean up the sea debris all that frequently.

Restaurants. There's really only 2. The poolside restaurant and the one inside. The food is really nothing to get excited about, for the most part it's average. Avoid the pan pizza and go for the flat bread--it's leaps and bounds better. Do NOT get the nachos at the poolside bar, DISGUSTING. I don't know what they use for cheese, but trust me, it's not cheese. The hamburger is fantastic as are the desserts.

The hotel is located in the middle of a residential area so you have to take a cab or drive your car to restaurants. You can walk up the CVS/Walgreens in about 15 minutes though.

A big tip, we asked our cab driver to hit up a grocery store before we checked in (we were coming from airport) and he did, without charging us extra. It was great b/c we could stock up on snacks and drinks.

While I don't play golf, I think their course may be closed--at least that is what were led to believe.

Overall, we would come back. Oh and if you have kids, solid location. We actually considered bringing the kids with us next time--totally family friendly.

Room Tip: The higher up the better, and the farther away from the bar area the better. When they have live mu...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorado
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Caribe Hilton San Juan
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#18 of 47 in San Juan
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!