“Generally good but with a warning”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dorado
Vancouver, Canada
“Generally good but with a warning”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The Embassy Suites Dorado is generally very nice BUT with a few STRONG warnings.

First, the good: Beautiful facility, good breakfast, great manager's reception with drinks. Inside and outside courtyards great and very nice pool. Beach is marginal for swimming (seaweed) but OK for sunbathing and is safe from large waves due to a breakwater. Rooms are large and well maintained.

Second the warnings: Breakfast stocking of food items, forks/knives/spoons often lagged the demand substantially. Marginal beach (see above) as it is artificially created and not very nice sand and not groomed well. We were there over a weekend (Sat - Wed) and never really used the pool because of excessive noise due to music and large number of kids screaming. However the worst was the Sunday afternoon pool "DJ" that played music at ear-splitting volumes (until 5 PM) that were certainly in violation of any responsible health and safety standard. The management did NOTHING when we complained except for patronizing responses that resulted in no change to the music level. Our balconies overlooked the pool/outside courtyard and were unusable due to the noise. The worst however was a party in the conference centre that spilled into the outer courtyard on Saturday night/early Sunday morning that went on with earsplitting noise until 3 AM!!! keeping us awake. If guests did this in our rooms we'd be kicked out of the hotel but since it was some hotel sanctioned "event" it went on unabated. Totally unacceptable. The last warning is for housekeeping that left us with an uncleaned room until 5:30 one day and NO towels to shower after a day at the beach until after 6:00 PM. All we got was "they're coming".

So - beware - especially on weekends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank robsaw2
Isaias R, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear robsaw2:

On behalf of the management and staff we’d like to thank you for your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate your business and thank you for selecting our hotel. At the same time we are disappointed to learn of your mixed feelings, as we always like to ensure that our guests feel cared for, valued and respected, which is our brand promise. Our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority and I assure you that we will definitely take your comments into consideration so that we may find ways to improve our hotel.

Thank you again for your review and we do hope that we may welcome you again in the future.

Isaias Rodriguez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We arrived at the Embassy Suites (ES) March 15th. After staying at two "less than desirable" places, arriving at the ES was akin to stepping into a small slice of paradise. My wife and I simultaneously gave up an unrehearsed sigh of relief when the luggage handler walked us into our 7th floor suite with a partial (yet stunning) view of the ocean.

The room accomodations were, for the most, outstanding. The minifridge was not working. But it was quickly replaced when notifying the Fronr Desk. The hotel staff was prompt and attentive when informed of other minor inconveniences.

I am compelled to mention a particular day in which we asked the duty housekeeper to defer cleaning to a later time. She pleasantly and respectfully asked me to initial a form authorizing the elimination of our room from her assignment list. I initialed the form and departed. We returned 2 hours later and saw the housekeeper a few rooms away. Knowing we'd be out for the remainder of the day, we asked if she could possibly clean our room upon our departure. Despite that I had earlier refused housekeeping services, the housekeeper assured me she would add our room back onto her assignment list. We were moved by her disposition and gave her a tip which she immediately refused. She accepted it after much insistance.

Good staff rendered very good service.

Dorado Del Mar Embassy Suites is definitely on our list of "Return To" places in Puerto Rico!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 7th floor facing east. Beielive it was room 2173.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Isaias R, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Hi Chacho_Keva:

Thank you so much for your awesome review, these are the type of reviews that definitely make my day, thank you so much for sharing, I will definitely share with the staff.

Hope I can greet you upon your return to the hotel.

Have a great day!
Utah
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We just stayed at the Embassy Suites in Dorado, PR and had a delightful time. The buffet breakfast and made to order omelets each morning were fantastic, and we must have stayed during a relatively light period, because we never had to wait in long lines for our food. One morning, we were trying to catch the ferry early to Culebra, and we were able to get some food in to go boxes even though it was about 15 minutes before the breakfast was scheduled to get started. The front desk staff were friendly and accommodating, and were very willing to share their local knowledge about places to go and things to see. The rooms were nice and clean, nothing overly fancy, but perfect for what we were looking for on this trip. The beach was nice, though there are certainly much nicer beaches to explore on the island. But it was nice to be able to enjoy a day of our trip just relaxing and not having to leave the resort. We didn't play golf, use the casino, or eat at any of the restaurants on site so we can't really speak to those aspects of the resort. The location of the resort is quite central if you want to explore both sides of the island, but we ended up doing most of our trip on the east side (Fajardo bio bay, the rain forest, Culebra, etc.) and you have to pass through San Juan traffic every time you travel east, so that was the only thing we didn't really consider about when we booked this hotel. But all in all, we left with nothing put positive things to say about our experience here.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor far away from the elevator and never heard another person. We did...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello JSB225:

What a way to start a day, I am delighted to read that you had all positive things to say about our hotel and your recent stay with us. Thanks so much for taking the time and writing this great review.

Have a beautiful day!
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and I spent 4 nights here in March, 2013. I was there mainly for business and had little leisure time. The room was adequate, clean and pleasant. Breakfast was good but you have to select the time when you have breakfast - 7 am being the best time with least crowds. Happy hour is fantastic - a full free bar. Very nice location, with a beautiful little beach with white sand and clear water. There is a very nice hiking trail up the cliff to the right as you approach the beach from the hotel. Very nice pool area but there were some very weird people when we were there, who quarreled all the time with their kids. The area is safe and very beautiful with a great golf course if you play. Hotel service was very good. I just might go there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the pool and ocean area. We had a room that overlooked the main entrance...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Isaias R, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Ooskus:

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. I’m happy to read from your review that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I was especially glad to read that you thought our rooms were clean and pleasant and that you enjoyed our full free bar as well as our pool area. Our main concern is for all our guests to have a welcoming stay and I am thrilled that we were able to deliver this for you. Thank you very much for your business and I do hope that next time you are in town, you stay with us again.

Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed March 24, 2013

It was our first visit to the island. We were glad we decided to rent a car, so we could explore the island. This hotel was a great home base. Busy on the weekend, with various functions at the hotel, but very family oriented during the week.The breakfast was great! The coffee even better!
We also enjoyed the cocktail hour and nearby casino at night! A great vacation!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Brick, New Jersey
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Honestly, I was expecting "good enough" resort for my family but this place is fantastic! My kids made friends at the pool everyday, staff couldn't be nicer and breakfast was great! They also had a complimentary happy hour every day, which was great! Live music during the weekend nights and just overall good times!
If you are looking a quiet place and don't like kids, look elsewhere but for families this is a dream come true!!!
Private beach is there but it is not sand ground so we did our swimming in the pool which was amazing. they also have paddleboats for rent.
If you are going to want to see more of the area you might want to rent a car- taxis are slow to get and there is no town to walk to (especially with kids) ..
I will be back many many times!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Isaias R, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Hello reeta1810:

WOW, "Best Family vacation ever"? That is a huge compliment, I am happy we exceeeded your expectations, Great to read that we can expect many more visits, hope I can personally greet you in your future stays.

Have a great day!!!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I are currently on our honeymoon. We actually got married at a Embassy Suites in North Carolina that upheld the expectations of a Hilton property. Overall, the outside appearance off the hotel here in Dorado is lovely (minus the dirty beach), but that doesn't prepare you for what you get when you get in your room. To me on a scale from 1 to 10 I would give this hotel a 3. The room is very run down, and I have to think twice about whether or not I want to put my bare feet on the floor. In the bathroom it's dirt underneath the sink, and the shower doesn't work all the way. The lamps in the room stopped working so my husband called for someone to come and replace them. This room could use a major face lift. We ate at the hotel twice, and twice we were disappointed. Overpriced and terrible. We have been to the evening reception everyday since we have been here. The drinks are good,but we are soooo tired of popcorn and pretzels. The embassy we stayed at for our wedding night had the same, but served quality snacks. Overall if I had the opportunity to. I would leave this hotel, and go stay somewhere else for the rest of our honeymoon. The only pro is that the hotel staff is pleasant.

Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Lovedj2013
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Again, I thank you very much for your review and sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity and stay with us next time you’re in town
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorado
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Caribe Hilton San Juan
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#19 of 48 in San Juan
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!