“Convenient location-everything necessary on premises, great dining, good drinks, courteous staff.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dorado
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Convenient location, near shopping area, beautiful views of the ocean and pool, luxurious lobby and bar offering fantastic drinks and appetizers. Enjoyed all that.
The sitting area in the suite needs upgrade. The use of the key to ride the elevator is a little troublesome, and the placing of the key to the beach although necessary a little too time consuming when making sure that the letter ( H) is facing the eye of the door. I was holding 2 drinks in my hand not easy to open. The towel employee advised me of the letter (H) Although, I agree that security is necessary-it should be electronic/ and eye card would open the door. I spilled a very expensive drink just trying to open the door.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Isaias R, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Clara M:

Thank you for taking the time such a nice review, I aplogize for the inconveniences encountered with the key and security issues. In regards to the areas needing updating please be advised that we will start renovations this year and hopefully we will have a more refreshed look the next time you visit our hotel.

Isaias Rodriguez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 23, 2013

After all the reviews, especially the horrendous ones, of this property, I still went here with an open mind to not let a few small things bother a beautiful vacation. But, by day three we all knew we were in for the worst type of hospitality out there (last bullet point).

Poor first impression
After a long tiring flight, I am here standing first in line to check in when two girls sneak right in front of me. What is worse is the front desk attendant takes care of them speaking in Spanish and very friendly. I decide to not complain.

Noise Level
We only managed an ocean room at the 4th floor because they were full. It was a Thursday. They have live music Friday and Saturday nights from 7PM till 11PM. You enter into a lobby followed by all rooms around the atrium. The entrance to your room is from the atrium side. The music plays right underneath the ocean view rooms inside and the recommendation from another review to just close the door of your bedroom that leads to the atrium side is enough to ward off the noise. At least that was true for us, so other than minor noises from room upstairs, noise wasn’t an issue for us in February

Breakfast and Happy Hour
Breakfast and happy hour staff was friendly. We were there daily at 7:30. On Friday morning, with the least crowd, the scrambled eggs, pancakes were all dried up. Not a big inconvenience. Saturday and Sunday we realized that 7:30-8:30 is their peak breakfast time. So, what that means is that you don’t get seating in the breakfast area, or bar outside, or in the atrium….and have to wait for one and then go a distance to get your food. I was mentally prepared, so again “not” the reason for my poor review. Happy hour will serve diluted drinks. Enjoy; just don’t expect to get a teensy bit drunk from them.

The only good thing I will say is for the oriental restaurant across from the lobby had great food and amazing customer service.

Speed Bumps!
Imagine 0.6 miles, laid with 16 speed bumps. Ok, imagine, speed bump every two houses. I experienced it and it was a big inconvenience getting in and out of the property.

Not a home away from home.
The fact that they cater to local Spanish speaking guests did not bother me. Diversity is charming. But the fact you could not talk to the front desk repeating plain English sentences, and be understood bothered me. That combined with poor customer service kept us away from the front desk until things became unbearably worse. The gentleman “Israel” at the front desk during the day spoke barely any English. I realized when I was asking for help around the area on some caves, he kept giving me instructions for totally different caves. Then he could not understand when I was asking him where I could keep my kid’s ice pack. He finally helped me store that away in their kitchen freezer. Next day I went up there to get it, waited 10 minutes, and he got the staff to bring in an ice pack that he opened and handed it to me. Except that it wasn’t mine and it belonged to some Mrs. Jones and if you saw me, you would know I am no Jones. In the 20 minutes that followed, the kitchen staff was running with their heads cut off bringing me other people’s ice packs and telling me they didn’t have mine. Did they give mine to someone else? What is the person who helped me at the first place do? he ignores me standing there with a frantic look on my face and goes about his business. Finally after 20 minutes I interrupted him giving him my token for the ice pack requesting him to finish helping me! He makes a phone call in Spanish. The bell cart guy comes and brings my ice pack from another location. Why did this take 20 minutes, and three staffs running around, when this guy knew what to do at the first place? Terrible customer service! My ice pack stayed with me, even if that meant no milk for my kid during the day.

Pest Infested Bed!!
Ok, I saved the worst for the last Being out of place in a Hilton property, where even the staff don't speak English is one thing, but, getting into freshly made bed, being woken up at night with fresh marks on your arms (mine, my husbands, and my two-year old baby’s) itching, and itching though breakfast is another. It is the worst type of hospitality, the worst type of welcome you can get in any type of a hotel, or house alike. This seems too bad to be true especially for a Hilton logo hotel. We thought the same. When we went to the front desk, again the non-english speaking attendant was there to our dismay. When we told him, what does he do? He writes something on a piece of paper and says, ok. That ok was not ok with me. That night, our final night, I went up to the front desk asked for the manager and told her why I am dreading putting my feet in the sheets. She told me the complaint she got was for mosquito bites. I am like no! There are bed bugs or something in the sheets. She did go up there and investigate and told me sheets had been replaced and that they have a procedure for these things had they been communicated to her during the day she would have called the company that certifies them that day but can do that only next day now. We woke up with fresh bites the next day. But at checkout, we took a sigh of relief to be out of there.

It is a horror to go to a tropical vacation to be bitten at night, not while camping but in their most expensive room on the property! Everything aside, that alone is a reason for the place to be shut down. My recommendation for the “English Speaking” especially American audience is to find a hotel to the east of San Juan. Pay more if you have to. It is much more conveniently located for all north shore attractions (don't have to go through the San Juan traffic clogs) and even better split time between the north east shore and south at Hilton, Ponce where you will feel at home. The day we checked out of here, we checked in at the Hilton. And, no we were not bitten anymore. We had a good night sleep. It was a problem local to this hotel. So, the only way to benefit from this review, is to skip this place no matter how many free breakfasts, or free diluted happy hour drinks you are offered!

Room Tip: If you must stay here, higher floor will have better view, but this hotel will take you through San...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank 1worldtraveller06
Isaias R, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Hello 1worldtraveller06:

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Downers Grove, Illinois
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was here for the 3rd time in February 2013. The Front Desk welcomed me back upon my arrival. Check-In therefore was very quick. There have been some security upgrades since my last visit like requiring your room card to get the elevator to work. That was a bit of a pain and I wish the front desk would have advised of this. But, the feeling of increased security was worth it. The pool is quite nice and clean although I did not use it on this trip. Happy hour is always appreciated. Complemenatry breakfast is hot and quick - even if you want a custom omlette. I agree with the other writer regarding upgrading the carpet. The new Sushi restaurant is quite good and is a nice change option if you stay on property for dinner after the happy hour.

The hotel used to provide the USA Today. It was definitely missed this last trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KCA_DG-IL
Isaias R, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hello KCA_DG-IL:

Hope all is doing well, thank you so much for your feedback about the security measures taken and the compliments about the staff, complimentary breakfast and managers reception, etc. In regards to the carpet needing replacement please be advised that we have scheduled carpet replacement in 3 out of 6 floors for this year 2013 and we are currently working improving the ones we have right now. Iin regards to the USA Today unfortunately in Puerto Rico that newspaper is no longer issued and that is why it is no longer delivered however all our guests have the option of viewing the USA Today on the internet either on smart phones, laptops or tablets.

Hope you would return to our property and would consider us for future leisure stays.

Maple, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Great value for your money! Happy hour 5:30-7 every evening, complimentary Internet and breakfast.
Rooms could do with upgraded carpet and gift shop could have more items.
Pools excellent for everyone and good towel service
Cheaper to rent a car and zip through towns and shopping
Also Casino on site which serve Free grilled ham/cheese sandwiches and soup and Free pop/coffee
Beach a little small, but good enough, has breakwalls to keep currant and waves down
excellent value for our $$$
would recommend

Room Tip: pick top floors for quietness and beautiful views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mmicks_13
Isaias R, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Hi Mmicks_13:

Thank you for submitting your review, we appreciate you taking the time of providing such nice feedback, I will definitely share with our team. In regards to the carpets we will be replacing some of the carpets this year and the remaining will be replaced next year. In the meantime we are working hard on applying shampoo treatments to the current ones in order to meet our guests expectations.

Alphen aan den Rijn, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The Front Desk staff is excellent. Very friendly and helpful also with directions and suggestions for excursions. The restaurant food is ok, but the staff is not. The really don't care or don't know what they are doing.

The rooms are spacious but a bit outdated. The cleaning is ok but too bad they put the air conditioner on 50 degrees every day..... The beds are too soft though, we had a good vacation before coming here and were well rested but that ended quickly here.

Dorado is about 40 minutes away from San Juan. It has a beach and a nice pool with pool bar. The drinks are expensive, but the food is ok. Every day there is a Happy Hour with free drinks from 17.30-19.30.
Breakfast is fine, with an omelet "bar". I only missed slices of cheese and ham.

Overall a varying experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Myjo1
Hello Myjo1:

Thanks for your nice review, we really appreciate your comments, I will certainly share this with our Food & Beverage Director and the rest of the team. The front desk staff will be very happy with your compliments. My most sincere apologies if you encountered any problems at the restaurant that would make you think the restaurant staff is not ok, I can assure we will take action in order to improve it.

Hope you would reconsider visiting our property and we can demostrate our improvements.

Have a great day!!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I recently stayed at this resort with a few friends and it was great. The pool area is awesome and the pool side bar is perfect for lunch and drinks. The other perks of the hotel were awesome as well. Free breakfast every morning with all the you could want. Great omlet bar and just all sorts of breakfast choices. The free cocktail hour was also perfect. You could get as many drinks at a time as you wanted. I would highly recommend the sangria they have! So good! The staff is also so polite and helpful with anythingggg you need. More than once we has questions about trips we were taking outside the hotel and they went beyond to help us. As well as always offering free waters which is another little perk. The beach area is small as described in some previous post but its still nice. No crystal clear blue waters like you would invision on a tropical island but they offer paddle boats and kayaks that you can explore the like inlet with. Also the average age of guests staying at the hotel was either over 50 or under 10. I was staying with two friends and were all around 22 years old and we still enjoyd our time I would just recommend for someone around our age to stay somewhere in san juan. We did travle to san juan to go to a bar one night but its a good 30-45 min drive which is obviously a long time if your planning on going to get a few drinks. There was no night life in dorado, the casino is fun and lively but the crowd was also all over 50. The hotel staff did telll us there were some bars in the town of dorado they were just about a 10min drive off the resort area but we didnt explore them and honestly the town looked very dangerous I dont think I would have felt comfortable going out into it. The town of san juan is also a little scary so Iwould suggest be careful. Overall the hotel was great for relaxing by the pool and beach but not so much on the night life side of things. Def a hotel for an older crowd!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Isaias R, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Hello Brooke G:

Thanks for submitting your review, I am more than happy with the comments, I agree that the staff is our strongest asset, they enjoy and love what they do and it is more than satisfying for us. I am happy we met your expectations and hope you woould reconsider staying with us in the future.

Have a great day!!!
Washington, DC
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Parking staff needs to be more friendly. I wasn't greeted at all.

Check in staff is great! The parking guys should take some tips.

I had to walk out of the dinner service. 60minutes and no meal! It was a fiasco from start to finish!

We were taken to one table. I asked for another one and the receptionist simply explained, "It's dirty." with no offer to clean it. Then she proceeded to offer us to blue photocopied pieces of paper she called "menus" explaining that she had run out of the real menus. That wasn't encouraging.

The waitress introduced herself. She offered to clean the dirty table and moved us to it. I asked her name again so I could remember it. Then she noticed that she didn't have her name tag so she said she would go get it. 5-10 minutes later she came back...yes, she had the name tag and she repeated her name, but I would have appreciated some water instead of the name tag break.

The dinner order was simple..chillo entero for God's sake! and chicken with penne. 60 minutes later nothing except for the jibarito appetizer. Yet other people got real menus AND their food. Maybe I just looked ugly or something. It didn't help that 20 minutes into the ordeal the waitress lied and said, "Oh, they ware just plating the pasta and then I can bring out the chillo". We walked out. The manager comped the appetizer since it was taking the waitress another 10 minutes to correct the charges. My dinner guest was not pleased and spoke words to the manager. The manager handled my guest's "comments" gracefully...

From the time the front desk person (they are the best!) recommended another restaurant, Antojitos de Katrina in Dorado, it took less time to walk to the car, leave self parking, drive to Katrina's, park, order and eat chillo entero at Katrina's than the amount of time I spent being served nothing at the hotel restaurant..and the all the server's at Antojitos de Katrina had their name badges on when we got there!

The power went out briefly TWICE the second night of my stay, but that was probably mother nature's fault.

Also, they should really fix the "m" in the "Embassy Suites" sign in front of the hotel so that it is lit at night. Doesn't look so great from the road with the "m" missing when driving up to the hotel at night.

The beach is not so great - way too small, but you can't blame the hotel for that.. Security is tighter than some American prisons. I mean I felt safe, but between the wristbands, swiping in and out to get to the beach, the towel sign out card and trying to swipe the elevator button and the room lock with the door card with two free drinks in your hand, the ambiance of being relaxed and carefree was lost.

What the beach lacks, the pool space makes up for. It's a great setup for families. But if you are one that likes to stroll long wide (beautiful) beaches, this is not the place for you.

The saving grace of this hotel is the front desk staff! 100% on and 100% great the whole experience! Need toothpaste? No problem. Need a recommendation for a restaurant? No problem. All with competence and a smile.

The second great plus of this hotel is the morning breakfast buffet and staff! Again, 100% on top of their game, but sometimes early in the morning, the omelet guy or gal will sneak away. Ojo! Follow the advice of the staff. Breakfast at 7am is relaxed and you can have your pick of the tables. But at 8am it is busy and by 9am it's welcome to the Port Authority Bus Station in New York City!

The free drink special is kinda gimmicky. Long lines. Weak drinks. Two days in a row I tried to order a fuzzy navel. Two days in a row bartender says he is out of peach schnapps even though several bottles of the stuff were on display. But that's my fault. This is Puerto Rico, right? Get with the program and order something with rum in it! :)

Rooms are clean. Microwave, small fridge and safe. The typical Embassy Suites setup with separate sleeping and living is especially nice if half the party wants to be up and other people want to rest.

That said, lamentablemente, yo no regresso nunca jamas a ese Embassy Suites.

I won't be back. The pluses of the hotel (front desk staff, breakfast and breakfast staff, golf amenities) couldn't overcome the minuses (beach, dinner, security, power failure). Faced with one more night in PR in this hotel, I decamped to the Courtyard Isla Verde and unfortunately I have to say that I sincerely wish I had been at the Marriott my whole stay.

Great staff, but I would recommend looking at other options.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank inspector12
Hello Inspector12:

First of all I want to apologize for the inconveniences encountered in our hotel, we also recieved your Hilton survey and our Food and Beverage Director will be emailing you today offering compensation for the inconveniences encountered in our property. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations, we will share your feedback with our team and will discuss the items that need to be addressed immediately in order to correct them as soon as possible.

Also thank you for the positive comments about the staff and suite accomodations.

Isaias Rodriguez
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorado
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Caribe Hilton San Juan
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#20 of 47 in San Juan
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!