WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort

Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dorado
Edwards, California
“Great Staff, Good Public Areas but, rooms could use updating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a family trip with 6 people including a baby. The service was great - staff helped us with luggage, food and a crib. Public spaces are great - lots of places to sit and enjoy the managers reception (what a deal!) and complimentary breakfast. The pool was wonderful, although the towel system, with cards and wristbands, was confusing. Only one hot tub - often filled with children. Rooms are fine - nothing to write home about - but, bed was comfortable and room was spacious. The location was nice for sight seeing around the island and lots of good dinner places nearby.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank outofedwards
Isaias R, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Hello Outofedwards:

Thank you so much for submitting your review about your recent stay in our hotel, I am happy the staff was accomodating and made your stay more enjoyable, great to hear positive feedback about our property, in regards to the rooms updating we have made renovations in the suites but we will continue making improvements this year as well.

we appreciate your comments.

Isaias Rodriguez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

First let me say that some earlier reviews on this hotel freaked me out! I emailed a hotel manager prior to our arrival to address the concerns and it was worth it! Our room had a beautiful golf course view, freshly steamed carpets (they were still a tad damp), a brand new hair dyer, and it was clean. I can see why some of the complaints are posted. There is some plastic here and there on the hotel beach, and some of the grounds could use an update. But overall the pool area and the beach are nice. A few considerations: a) absolutely rent a car. From the airport the taxi is $80 including tip, but mainly there is not much in walking distance. My husband and I enjoy walking, so the three mile round trip miles to dinner didn't bother us. But, I would not call it convenient. Taxis locally will cost you $20 for 2 people including tip, so renting a car would offset that. B) there are lots of kids here. Babies and kids of all ages. This didn't bother us, but if you are looking for a romantic couples hotel this is not it. C) the food at the pool bar is average. My husband and I both ordered food that was not made according to the menu. For example, the menu said chicken sandwich with onion, cheese, lettuce, tomato. It came with chicken and cheese. Normally that wouldn't seriously annoy me, but here almost everything is fried. That makes for tasty but not super nutritious! So when my sandwich says veggies, I think it better feature veggies. Overall the weather was gorgeous and the hotel was adequate. There are lots of expensive hotels here and I found this one to be pretty reasonable. You get what you pay for! I do find the $40 per day resort fee to be excessive. Just head down to the "free" cocktail hour every night and make sure you get $40 worth of drinks ;) then you know you got your money's worth! And I would give this a 3.5 out of 5, but that wasn't an option.

4 Thank travelingteacher1982
Hi travelingteacher1982:

It is very nice to see such a nice and detailed review and specially to know you were overall happy with the accomodations and service, in regards to your comments about the beach and the food and beverage options these are thing we are currently discussing and working on in order to improve, I will share this with our Maintenance and Food & Beverage Directors. I hope that in the future you would reconsider staying in our property in the future.

Have a great day!

Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Our 11th trip to Puerto Rico and 1st for our parents. Stayed here after a late arrival in San Juan on our way to Rincon. Had two King Ocean view rooms. Our room's carpet was wet throughout. The rooms felt damp in general. Other guests lit off fireworks in the pool area until I called the front desk at 12:30 a.m. Although M-83s were going off on their property, management was no where to be found. At 3:00 a.m., other guests started a drumming and screaming circle around the pool, again called the front desk and they said "we'll take care of it." Paid over $500 for two rooms for 3 hours of interrupted sleep. The breakfast buffet was a waste of time; old burnt gobs of bacon stuck together, imitation eggs, and the driest potatoes. Difficult to find the place after dark; security gates were confusing at best. Hilton has drug their name through the dirt with this property. I felt bad that this was our parent's first impression of this beautiful island. Fortunately, the rest of the trip staying on the beach in Rincon and in the Rain Forest in Rio Blanco was stellar despite this initial encounter. I cannot recommend this place due to the condition of the rooms. Valet staff in the morning were kind and a good start to our new adventure.

Room Tip: good luck, we paid for the best and got wet feet trying to get into bed.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank shcje
Dear shcje:

Thank you for your review, My most sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations, I can assure you this is not indicate of our commitment to quality and service we provide to our guests. I cannot undo what took place during your stay but I would very much like to change your perception towards our hotel, please feel free to contact me directly and I would be more than happy to assist on correcting these issues in any way and you would reconsider staying with us in the future.

isaias.rodriguez@hilton.com
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Embassy is a wonderful place to rest: a pool, a beach, a casino, a pool's grill, free happy hour, a casino, a golf, a spa and a fitness Center. Everything to relax and enjoy the sun is there. But if you want to go out by foot, the nearest place to go is a 20 minutes walk away, at least. And you are better if you can handle a little bit of spanish. People who work there are friendly, efficient and fast to answer your needs. Rooms are clean. We really enjoyed our stay. But they should tell us about the resort fees that is add up to the room everyday.

Hello Renee:

Thank you so much for submitting your review, it's very nice to hear your feed back, I will definitely share with the staff. Hope to be able to greet you next year in our property.

Have a great day!

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

The stay at the hotel was a very good experience. The pool area was great. Just need to clean the lounge chairs. The bar was very good and service overall was very good. It was very quiet and the pool area was also very comforting. The beach was a little windy but very pretty. Would recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: This is my first stay and my room not being an Oceanview had a very good location.
1 Thank hr1946
Hi hr1946:

Thank you for such nice comments, please be advised that we have taken care of the lounge chairs and made a maintenance schedule in order to keep them up to date. It's great to hear you would return to our property, I hope I can personally greet you on your next visit.

Wildwood, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel was nice, especially the lobby and restaurant area. The room was fine, clean and comfortable, however the hotel is in need of a makeover, the room decor was dated and the carpet was torn in places. The bathroom was clean but in need of new counters and tubs. Our AC did not regulate, it keep the room at 68 degrees and would not change. They sent someone to look at it, but he did not understand english and what we were trying to tell him so we just dealt with it and turned it off when we got too cold. Internet access was good.
The main complaint I have is the beach available to those staying at this hotel. The beach was absolutely disgusting, the worst I've ever seen in the USA or other countries. The beach was public but I would think the hotel would maintain it to attract visitors. There were no locals on the beach, actually hardly anyone would try to use it. Had broken glass, trash, cigarettes, seaweed, lounge chairs were torn and rusted, you get the picture. The ocean was pretty though! It has a lot of potential. Also a very quiet place, nothing to do as far as entertainment, but that was good for us. Hotel breakfast was great, good variety and nice service. Only one restaurant in hotel for dinner, which was ok but service was slow, food not great, but a nice restaurant across the street. That was the only other place to eat unless you drove somewhere. All the staff was very nice. Basically was like a hotel not a resort.

1 Thank berger4
Isaias R, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 7, 2016
Dear berger4,

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I was happy to read from your review that you enjoyed our lobby and restaurant areas and that you thought that our rooms were clean and comfortable. Our main priority is for our guests to have an exceptional stay.

I do however understand that you were disappointed with some of issues at our hotel. I truly apologize if you had problems with the A/C unit in your room and that our beaches were not up to your standards. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and we will definitely take your comments into consideration to improve our in-property experience.

Again I apologize you went through any inconveniences and hope that you will consider saying with us next time you are in town.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Overall, a very disappointing stay. I was hoping for a relaxing vacation, but it ended up being a very loud noisy one.
Pros:
1. Location- somewhat central location to get to the west coast, east coast and center of the island.
2. Free wifi was reliable- just not adequate for streaming video (i.e. if you want to stream movies from Netflix or Amazon).
3. Seemed to be kid friendly- most kids seemed to be having fun.

Cons:
1. Front desk- not very friendly- usually only staffed by one person who was not at all apologetic that she didn't know anything or couldn't help us.
2. No concierge- not that we use this when we travel, but this one time where we needed help finding a tour company, there was no help.
3. They charge for parking.
4. The noise level was unbelievable. I did request when I booked the hotel to be in a quiet room away from the elevator and they put us right across from the elevator, which was very noisy. They had loud music playing during the day and night from the bar below--- we were on the 6th floor and it was incredibly loud from our room, I can't even imagine the hearing loss that likely ensued for those who were on the ground level.
5. Four cars in the parking garage were set on fire overnight the night before we left. Thank goodness our car was not involved.
6. Breakfast is free, but agreeably very busy. Not so busy if you wake up earlier though.

We will definitely not be returning this hotel.

3 Thank Grch
Isaias R, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I was glad to read from your review that you thought that we our property was centrally located as well as kid friendly. I do however apologize if we did not meet all of your expectations. I do apologize if you encountered some noise issues during your stay. Additionally I truly regret if our front desk staff was not friendly. Our main priority is for our guests to feel welcome during they stay with us and I can assure you that I have personally spoken you our staff regarding your comments. I would like to clarify that the incident in the garage was not intentional and there were no injuries thanks to our safety procedures and the help of local authorities. Again, I apologize if you went through any inconveniences and hope that the next time you are in the area you will consider staying at our location again. Thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorado
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,301 reviews
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!