“Only stayed for lunch”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dorado
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I did not stay at his hotel we only visited for lunch as we were in the Dorado area as my husband wanted to show us the neighborhood ( his family has spent 2 yrs in the area for work purposes). The area in general is fairly run down. The resort is in a gated community with a golf course and residences as well as a casino. It is fairly out of the way, and the only restaurant open was the pool restaurant . The service was friendly , and the food was basic but decent. The appearance of the hotel was average. It felt very isolated compared to where we are staying in condado. There were alot of families in the pool area, so it would be fine for a large family. Not for couples. I think there are far better deals to be had around Puerto Rico. Save Dorado for a day trip to the beach only, there isn't much else there.

Room Tip: Not many dining options, hard to get to location.
2  Thank lovetotravel2070
Write a ReviewReviews (1,810)

Reviewed July 31, 2012

My family just returned from a stay at the Embassy Suites for The AABC Willie Mays World Series. What we learned is that a confirmation does not guarantee a room. They were nice enough to send a couple of our families to The Comfort Inn in Toa Baha where they were awoken to beer bottles being thrown at the hotel and someone was shot outside the hotel..nice safe area for our children to be sent. The Embassy Suites is gated and has security which is great seen as how we were told no to leave the property after dark because the area is not safe. It takes forever for any of the staff to assist you; we ordered pizza for the team and we had to bring it around the building and eat it on the beach because they would not allow us to use a banquet room. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Room Tip: If you want to relax, get a high floor because there is always noise...not kids, Music. The elevato...
1  Thank amelia33963
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I just returned from a week there for a family reunion. The hotel was nice enough, but the room service schedule was ridiculous. We would leave in the morning and come back for lunch or in the early afternoon and find the room hadn't been touched. We would want to take a nap but had to vacate the rooms as late as 3 or 4 pm (I was told they had until 5pm!) so they could clean. There were four of us in the room but the maid service kept leaving only three towels. I got tired after the third day of calling down and asking for another towel. The pool was nice, but twice they ran out of towels for guests. I wish the menu was a bit more extensive. What was good? We enjoyed the breakfasts there, and the happy hour with free drinks every day from 5-7 was phenomenal! I enjoyed myself, but I think my kids got bored since there wasn't too much for the 10-15 year old crowd once the pool lost its luster. The elevators took forever. Don't be in a rush.

Room Tip: Make arrangements with the cleaning staff so your room is taken care of around the same time every d...
1  Thank girlbyker
Isaias R, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thanks for providing your review for your stay at the Embassy Suites Dorado, first of all for the inconveniences encountered and posible misunderstanding in regards to the housekeeping service, eventhough the housekeeping service is scheduled for the hours you were informed guests do not need to leave the suite when having service done, also if a guest prefers service at a specific time of the day we would be more than happy to schedule the service at the best time for the guest. I will personally meet with the staff and share your feedback in order to improve our service in the hotel.

Once again my apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your feedback.

Have a great day!!!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

this is a terrible hotel. stayed here on two different occasions for business. I thought the second time would be better. Both times I played golf and both times I was rudely ridiculed for asking the local golfers if I could play through their foursome. Both times i was "cussed" out because I asked twice if I could play through. When I asked the valet for the manager he laughed and said "the manager left" and went to the group of individuals that was ridiculing me and started laughing. When I told the manager at the hotel, she was embarrassed and said she would get back to me. Of course she never did. Generally the service was pretty crappy here and I would recommend you go elsewhere if you want to have a good time.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank nja0423
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in December 2011 after a carribean cruise. We had our kids, and friends stayed there as well with their kids. We really enjoyed the resort, the rooms were very nice and a good size for our family of four. We spent most of our time in the pools over swimming in the ocean as we found it to be a little rough while we were there. Our kids loved the pools and hot tub, and there were always available beach chairs. There was a managers reception nightly where guests got 2 complimentary drinks, but we found that we could go up more frequently and still receive free drinks - we just ensured we tipped the bartender well. We didn't eat at the hotel very often as we were doing sight seeing of Puerto Rico, but the meals we did have were good. The location worked well for us, as we were able to see different island highlights, but still close to San Juan for shopping and dining.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank litgirrl13
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The design of an Embassy is the open atrium with rooms ringing it... this one is no exception.

When we were staying there, a large family reunion was also booked there, and they took over the hotel - kids running and screaming at midnight, and again at 7 am, delighted to hear the echo in the atrium for their high pitched screams. It was also impossible to get breakfast - even just a bowl of cereal - due to the long lines, no tables, etc. so we were not able to sample the food.

Given the prices we were paying, I would have expected security to try and keep the noise down after 11 pm on a week day or before 8 am, but they were nowhere in sight... disappointed.

Room Tip: Check to make sure there is no large group (wedding, reunion, etc.) when booking!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank marymcd
Reviewed July 19, 2012

It was the perfect vacation spot. We did not experience any loud kids or any problems! Managers reception was very nice every night and it was a very relaxing, enjoyable visit. Only negative was the parking and walk to hotel, but no big problem. Definitely worse in NYC! Beach chairs, loungers always available!

2  Thank Hagenbud
msemprit, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

To start a review with the title "Perfect" is every Managers dream come true so thank you for that.

We are so glad that you had a fantastic time and thank you for placing such a such but detailed review on tripadvisor.com.

We look foward in welcoming you back with your Family and continue striving on exceeding all of our future guest's expectations as we did with you.

Have a perfect weekend.

Marisol Colon
787-278-7001

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorado
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Caribe Hilton San Juan
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#18 of 47 in San Juan
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
Four Points by Sheraton Caguas Real Hotel & Casino

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!