I recently went to Puerto Rico with my husband and young children (ages 9 and 6). We were going to be in Puerto Rico for only 5 days, and just HAD to stay at the Embassy Suites in Dorado, again! Our prior stay was short and sweet, and we vowed to come back again. The drive from San Juan airport to Dorado is about 30 - 45 minutes depending on traffic conditions. There is a $1.00 toll if you take route 22 west to Dorado.
The resort is located in the beautiful town of Dorado, within a gated community. Once you approach the security gate, they verify your purpose in entering the private community. Once passed the security gate, you drive through the beautiful golf course. You have the option to choose valet ($18 daily) or self parking ($10daily). The parking garage is located just steps from the hotel main entrance. There's a casino located between the hotel and parking garage.
Our check in was a little slow due to the fact that the phones were constantly ringing and only one person working the front desk. They validate your parking ticket on the first day for your entire stay, so that you can come and go as you please for the one $10 per day parking fee.
The Resort is very clean, and well maintained. Our room was on the second floor, and even though we were just above ground level, we had a great partial view of the ocean. Our room was very clean and well lit. We had only one king size bed, and a pull out sofa bed for the kids. There are two flat screen TVs in the suite, one mini refrigerator, coffee maker, and microwave.
On our first night, we drove to a town called Aguadilla which is located on the west end of the island, and its about a 2 hour drive with a handful of tolls, none being more than about $1.00
On our second day, we enjoyed the amenities of the resort, which included the 3 pools, kids play area and water sports. The pool was very clean, and well maintained. It is a heated pool which made it even better!!! The resort gives all there guest tickets for two free water bottles per day for the entire stay. You also get a daily bracelet that you must wear to identify you as a guest of the hotel while using the pool. My husband rented a small padel boat for $15 (30 minutes) which is enough time. The beach is very clean, and with no waves (safe for kids)
Every night the 5:30pm - 7:30pm, the resort holds a managers reception in which you can get free drinks and snacks for everyone. Drinks include a variety of liquor and beer. The snacks include popcorn and tortilla chips with salsa. Drinks are unlimited during this two hour reception. We always tipped the bartender as a nice gesture.
During our stay we had a terrible rainstorm sweep over Dorado, causing a lot of flooding which affected the resort pool and laundry facilty in the lower level. As a result, the pool was shut down from Tuesday night til about Friday afternoon. The Resort arranged FREE trolley tours of Dorado for those guest that were inconvenienced.
We dined at the hotel restaurant on the night of the heavy rainstorm, because of the severe local flooding conditons. I have to admit, that I a little disappointed with our waiter because of the poor service we received and the over priced food.
There's a local restaurant within walking or driving distance of the resort which sells PuertoRican cuisine that is very delicious, and very inexpensive. We dined there on our last trip to Dorado and so we had to go again during this trip.
Breakfast was excellent throughout our stay, a wide selection of choices and omelletes made to order.
Check out process was quick and easy.
You pay the Resort fee and any room charges incurred during your stay.
(ex: dining, water sports, bar charges, parking, etc)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only all suite beachfront resort in Puerto Rico offering a peaceful alternative to bustling San Juan, our beachfront resort is located in the charming town of Dorado, and only a short drive to the capital city. This relaxing retreat offers spacious two room suites and tropical views from your balcony. This resort also offers great value with free made-to-order breakfast and an evening reception. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelsClick, HRS and TripOnline SA so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Embassy Suites Dorado Del Mar Beach And Golf Resort
- Embassy Suites Dorado Del Mar Beach & Golf Hotel Dorado
- Puerto Rico Embassy Suites
- Dorado Embassy Suites