“MY OBSESSION!”

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
“MY OBSESSION!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Whenever I visit PR I have to go to this place. The French Onion soup, San Jacobo (stuffed fillet with cheese, pimiento and asparagus) and Sangria is TO DIE FOR!

It is not cheap, meaning that a dinner plate will be ~$20 but it is worth it.

Visited April 2012

San Juan, Puerto Rico
“I reviewed it once, and I'm afraid I'll have to demote it...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2010

I wrote a review on this restaurant a while back, and I visited it again for a family outing recently. The food is still good, but something has changed. It now tends to be on the salty side, and the paella my wife had wasn't as throughly made as before. Interestingly enough, I mention my wife's paella, since the server simply FORGOT ABOUT SERVING ME ANY!! We were in a large party (14 people, I believe) and the waiter just skipped me when serving it. When I tried to alert the waiter about it, they were in the middle of a shift change, and the guy left. The waitress then apologized, but did nothing to compensate me for the oversight. I retaliated by leaving no tip. And, of course, I've changed my mind about this place.

3 Thank demf
San Juan
“Try the San Jacobo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2010

I had been to this place more than 25 years ago, it remains the same. That alone says something for a business. Decor has not changed in a very long time, typical of the spanish restaurants of the time. It is an experience, not for everyone, not what a young tourist would look for. It has traditional Mayaguez local flavour, was full of older crowd who used to run this town. Lots of expensive (older) cars in the micro-small shopping center parking where the restaurant is located.

I came looking for another taste of the San Jacobo steak, they still do it the same way, very good. You will not find it anywhere else. San Jacobo is a steak filled with mozarella, peppers and asparragus. Food price very reasonable, an $18 San Jacobo is a good buy. Drinks are even a better buy, making it overall excellent price.

1 Thank Francisco J
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not worth the trip”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2009

We ate here in Feb 09. The decor is depressing, the wait staff was glum, and the food was not the least bit interesting. Onion soup was nearly flavorless. My fillet mignon was fine (even done properly) but nothing special. My companion's sirloin was as much gristle as steak.

2 Thank DorkySwede
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
“I have been their customer for more than 20 years and they have never dissapointed me. The quality is unsurpassed...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2009

I have been their customer for more than 20 years and they have never dissapointed me. The quality is unsurpassed. Prices are very reasonable. Good for a full meal or just for snacking: try their caldo gallego followed by an empanada de pollo and their chicken or ham "croquetas", and chorizo. That's like a full meal to share while having some wine or sangría with your friends. Their paella is very well known and deservingly so. My favorites are the medallions and the San Jacobo. One of the best restaurants all around, which is the first I always recommend to visitors and friends.

1 Thank LucianoQ