“Great value through hotwire.com”

Holiday Inn Mayaquez & Tropical Casino
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Mayaguez
Reviewed March 3, 2011

Pros: Clean nice rooms, great beds, safe and secure location.

Cons: VERY small "gym", uninviting pool, no fridge in room without a $5/day charge.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank anthonyb415

Reviewed December 14, 2010

We stayed at the Holiday Inn because it was recommended to us by our friends. We drove from San Juan to Mayaguez. The pool area was large and pretty (minus the chickens). Overall we had a nice, but short stay at the Holiday Inn.

Pros:
**Casino, Bar, Restaurant, Computers with internet access on second floor, and pretty pool area
**Because of the casino there was extra security in the hotel and parking lot so we always felt safe, even when returning late at night.
**The bed was comfortable and the room was clean.
**We ate at the restaurant for dinner and had a good meal. I had coconut crusted shrimp with plantains and it was delicious.
**We both got a free drink ticket when we checked in so we went to the bar on site (Fat Tuesday's) and I had a frozen pina colada and my husband had a beer.
**There are lots of stores and restaurants nearby.
**There was a large pool area with lounge chairs, pretty palm trees, and a basketball area. A hotel employee worked a towel area. You had to check out and return towels to him.

Cons:
**There were chickens in the parking lot and pool area. I am scared of birds and chickens so I did not like sitting poolside while chickens walked around. I could see them jump the fence from the neighbors.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Samurai_Dog
Reviewed October 25, 2010

We were road weary and did not get to the Hotel until after dark but what we found was suprising. The front desk was very helpful and kind, just as everyone else in Puerto Rico. When we got to the room we found a nice, clean, newly up dated room with the most comfortable bed I found in Puerto Rico. The AC was a little weak and not the best but everything else made up for it. Another post mentioned a strong odor of cleaning supplies and I must say that I did smell some but it was nothing that bothered me at all. There was a good size bathroom, a casino and cafe. I would stay here anytime I returned.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2010

All the rooms have an overpowering smell of detergent because the A/C unit leaks water into the carpet of the rooms. There's mold and stagnant water in the carpet so everyday they "deep clean" each room with strong detergents to mask the smell of stagnant water. I slept horribly because the smell of detergent kept burning my nose. I say "rooms" because we moved rooms twice until I finally gave up realizing all the rooms have this problem. I wouldn't even recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nikita141
Reviewed September 27, 2010

First time to Puerto Rico to go scuba diving in Boqueron (Cabo Rojo area). Stayed in Mayaguez at the Holiday Inn Tropical Casino for a week. This place could not have been better. It was clean, had a good restaurant and also a Fat Tuesdays Bar with great drinks. Casino was nice too. Felt very safe with large friendly staff and 24 hour security in the hotel and parking lot (you have to have a room key card to access the hotel floors which was nice). The area around the hotel was nice ( Home Depot, Super K, Applebees, just to name a few). Felt like being in the States. This was a perfect place to use as a base camp to visit the whole west coast of Puerto Rico. Its about a 30 minute drive either way to the northwest and southwest corner of the island. depending on the time its about a 2:20 minute drive from San Juan. Scenic drive not bad at all. Not knowing anything about Puerto Rico this place was perfect and I would definitely recommend it. After having been there and looking around for other potential places for future travels nothing came close to this hotel. It was very nice.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank SammyWillow
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Great Place

Last Sunday I was visiting the West part of Puerto Rico and decide to stay at the Holiday Inn Tropical Casino at Mayaguez. First I called and asked if there were any room and rates since it was a long weekend, the told they were some available rooms at $136 which include two complementary drinks and breakfast. I took it, I arrive to the hotel around 4pm, the front desk people were very friendly and nice. When I got to the room, was very clean, got a lcd flat tv, one huge king bed and a view to front of the hotel (not the best view in town). I use the pool for about an hour or two, is not the best pool in town, but it’s a nice pool, they got towels by pool side. On the night I went to the casino and used my two complimentary drinks (had two beers), and then went on to play at the casino. The casino was full of old people, so it was not las vegas! Spent $20 between me and my wife and we lose it all the money (we are not casino junkies!)

My only complaint would be the bathroom. It was big with a lot of towels, but when we showered, all the water went out and created a mess. The problem was that at the shower there was only one curtain instead of two (one inside, one outside).
Overall I will gave them a 9 out of 10. Definitely I would return to the hotel in a future!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank alextm21
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Nice little hotel....have stayed twice on biz in the last couple of months for multiple nites. VERY clean (cleaner than the Intercontinental in San Juan), spacious rooms, responsive, friendly staff. There really is a rooster that crows in the morning which i found amusing, not annoying. Bath toiletries by Bath & Body Works. Ice and vending on every floor. No smoking in casino as mentioned in previous reviews. Nice pool area, guest laundry area.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank VanInTexas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mayaguez
Mayaguez Resort & Casino
Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel
Combate Beach Resort
Combate Beach Resort
#1 of 8 in Cabo Rojo

Been to Holiday Inn Mayaquez & Tropical Casino? Share your experiences!