“Wasn't as bad as reviews made me fear”

Holiday Inn Mayaquez & Tropical Casino
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Mayaguez
Boulder, Colorado
“Wasn't as bad as reviews made me fear”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I was in Mayaguez for three nights on business. My room was clean and served me well for working and sleeping. The management should cut back on the perfume. It was horrible when I checked in, then I requested that housekeeping not add more while I was there, so it got better (the window opened slightly). I had an upgraded or executive floor room (something like that). I liked the view of the ocean far off and the roosters close by. Although the hotel web site said there were complimentary beverages/snacks in the evening, there was no such thing, so be prepared for plan B. When I asked about it, they simply said there was nothing, but that evening I found two delicious cookies in my room (I guess that made up for it or was to be seen as a bribe). The service was friendly and helpful. I prepaid, but they tried to charge me again anyway. The lady at the desk made that disappear immediately and grimaced a bit, as if someone in accounting was making mistakes that she had to mop up. I had breakfast in the restaurant twice; the waiters were friendly and accommodating, including when I was in a big hurry. The fitness center is old, but it works and is certainly better than nothing--I used one of two treadmills. I think there was also a bike and some free weights in there. Parking is a problem, because although they will tell you to park anywhere, the casino fills up with locals and you may have to park far away from the lobby if you come back after 9 pm. Not cool for a woman alone, though the exterior is well lit -- I felt safe. Having been to Mayaguez before, I was satisfied with the hotel for a business trip.

Room Tip: Upgrade for view and better room. It's not much $$
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LeakyB85

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Minneapolis
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We arrived a little early and were allowed to check in early which I appreciated. The staff was very friendly and guest parking is free.
I specifically reserved a non-smoking. Upon entering the room, it smelled like stale cigarettes and wet dog. I asked the front desk if the room was a non-smoking room and was told yes. I later found out that the room was CONVERTED into a non-smoking room and was previously a smoking room. Fine convert a room but paint the walls, replace the carpeting, etc. You can't just suddenly say it's a non-smoking room.....Anyway, I turned the air off in the room and opened the sliding window to let fresh air into the room.
Since we arrived early we decided to use the fitness center while we let the room air out. A fitness center is an important amenity to us and we are happy to pay extra for a hotel that has one. The "fitness center" here consisted of two treadmills, (only one worked and not very well, kept shutting off) and some free weights. Most of the weights were missing and there was no bench or space to even use them.
The next morning we ate at the hotel restaurant. Please skip the breakfast buffet, not worth it. The buffet was WAY over priced. The fruit was not ripe and the selection was terrible. One more nail in the coffin - the WIFI does not extend to the rooms, we had to sit in the lobby for it to work.

Very disappointed in this place over all.

If non-smoking rooms and a fitness center are important to you then I would suggest that you drive 15 minutes north and stay at the Marriott in Aguadilla, like we did the next day. The fitness facility at the Aguadilla Marriott was top notch, great pool and nice restaurant. It's worth the extra 15 minute drive. Seriously, don't waste your time at the Holiday Inn. I feel bad because the staff was nice but if you want a clean room, that smells fresh and a fitness center, don't waste your time/money at the Holiday Inn in Mayaguez.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor and the entire floor smelled like wet dog.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank RebeccaMinneapolis
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Mayaquez & Tropical Casino, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Dear RebeccaMinneapolis,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what feel below your expectations. I'm deeply sorry for any inconveniences you have experienced. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve.If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
MIAMI
Reviewed April 29, 2012

PROS
- Great Hotel Location! Right out of the main highway #2
- Close to beaches if you are traveling for leisure
- Close to the University area
- Rooms are larger than usual to Puerto Rico standards
- Good free Parking

CONS
- A rate of over $80.00 is overrated for this property. Yo will find better rates in the area if you do not mind driving inn further from the road speacially in the Aguadilla and Rincon area without casinos.
- Small lobby as most is taken by casino area.
- Noisy in second floor dur to casino.
- restaurant on premise is more of a bar. Lots of options to eat outside the property area.

Overall
- I like the property, not so much the price. But as long as you are traveling for business is a good option. As for traveling for pleasure or vacation there are much better properties in the area.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators and face the back of the building (facing west)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2012

The hotel is an older Holiday Inn but is well maintained. The room was clean and quite except for the AC unit. It was noisy. We upgraded to an Executive room and it was worth the money but still was small. The front desk staff was polite and effective. Good hotel and grounds security. The only thing that should be added to enhance security is an in-room safe. I have stayed at all the chain hotels in Mayaguez PR and this is the best one for the value. We didn’t eat in the restaurant and the casino was closed due to be Good Friday.
We would stay there again.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for but ifyou want to pay more and travel further for a better hotel go to the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank NavyAllan
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Mayaquez & Tropical Casino, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
NavyAllan,

Thank you for your comments, and recent stay. I am pleased to see you enjoyed your time with us. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future.

Ben J
IHG Care
New York City
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We have been traveling to Añasco to visit my Dad for years and we have stayed at this hotel many times with no problem. We went to visit my dad and had a reservation for 8 days, my dad had a stroke and he passed away Palm Sunday, we had a wake in Añasco but my dad always wanted to be buried in Caguas where my mom is buried. When we informed the hotel we would not use the last 2 days of our reservation because we would be in the other side of the island, we were shocked to find out they do not reimburse you for the days not used, not even if there is a death in the family. Expedia would not fight our case for us, but they gave us a credit to use in any future travel. We are so disgusted with what happened to us, never again will we stay at this hotel when we go to visit our family. The hotel managers we spoke to were very rude even after knowing the situation we were in. If we wanted to cancel for any other reason I would not complain, but a death in the family? they have no shame.

Room Tip: Higher rooms will not have internet access.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CityGirl94
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Mayaquez & Tropical Casino, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear CityGirl94,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message.

We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Mayaguez.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reference # 27697653
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I only stayed at the hotel room to sleep, but it was a fantastic experience. The room was great and the bathroom was extremely clean. The people was very friendly and informative. The breakfast buffet was delicious. I look forward to staying there again. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: Check TRIP ADVISOR to read some review about the selected location.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Profesora5
Blandford, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We had a two night reservation while traveling between Ponce and Isla Verdi. The desk clerk was very helpful. They had already upgraded us because of platnum priority clup status, but he went one step further and upgraded us again to a two room suite. Very nice. The room did have a slight musty odor to it. I have come to expect that in this climate. I think the hotels in this area exist for the sake of the casinos. I am not much of a gambler so we spent the afternoon getting to know the area. We traveled to Rincon beach, Rincon light house, and Sandy Beach. None of which were very impressive. In fact we decided that we were wasting vacation time on this end of the island. We decided to add a night to our next reservation at the Intercontinental, and leave Mayaguez early. I booked this hotel with points and thought I would rather loose them than the day wasted with little to do. I talked to the desk clerk and let them know that we would not need the room for the next night and they were very pleasant about it. They even suggested that if I called Priority Club that I might be able to get the points credited back to my account. I did call and it worked out fine. The points for the next night were credited back to my account. Overall the hotel is nice enough. If you are entertained by gambling this would be a good place to stay. If you like the beach, don't waste time with anything but the north east end of Puerto Rico.

Room Tip: Room 400 is a nice two room suite. I would imagine that is also true for 500 and 600. Be nice to the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sandsculptureman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mayaguez
Mayaguez Resort & Casino
#1 of 8 in Rincon
Combate Beach Resort
Combate Beach Resort
#1 of 9 in Cabo Rojo

Been to Holiday Inn Mayaquez & Tropical Casino? Share your experiences!