“Too overprice...”
Review of Mayaguez Zoo

Mayaguez Zoo
Ranked #3 of 21 things to do in Mayaguez
More attraction details
Owner description: The only large-scale zoo in Puerto Rico, this 45-acre tropical attraction is home to a wide variety of animals including elephants, hippos and exotic birds and reptiles.
Reviewed May 29, 2014

First of all I will say this is a fun place to visit. But I gotta say it's a little over price. You have to pay when you enter the parking, later you start your own tour. The attractions like the butterflies are a little tricky to see since they are not always open. Lots of the food places are,now out of,business leaving you with an hour and a half to see the animals. After that you will have nothing else to do and leave.

1  Thank chris a

Reviewed May 1, 2014

I went to this zoo last week. The exhibits seemed acceptable and to code. I only found issues with two inclosures being too small, the Bear area and the Pigs area. All other animals seemed healthy and well cared for. There is an obvious lack of funding with limited employees and grounds keepers. With proper finding and support I feel this zoo could be more effective for the island. I incurage you to visit and support a zoo in need of support, for the sake of the animals.

1  Thank Sharon L
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We went to Puerto Rico to visit our 1 year old grandson and decided to take him to the zoo. I'm so glad he will not remember this experience. The only animals that seemed happy and content were the aquatic wildlife, fish, turtles, amphibious creatures and birds. The black bears were lethargic, very thin and were not even moving. The lions were also lethargic, barely moving and so thin there bones were showing. The tiger was the same way, ribs showing. The rhino, such large and majestic animal was lethargic and looked almost dead. There was no attempt to have the animals in their natural habitats. They had very small cages, with not enough water or shade, or cool areas due to the extremely oppressive heat. We walked the zoo in 2 hours and they had way too many workers who were just driving around in trucks, laughing and joking. This zoo was pathetic, and the animals are being abused. There should be some type of intervention to either shut it down, or transfer the animals out. The bathroom in the gift shop area was ok, no soap or paper towels available. The bathrooms out in the zoo area were awful, no running water at all.

3  Thank angie O
Reviewed March 24, 2014

After reading all the local reviews I was scared to pay too much, but after all it was great the experience my daughter enjoy the day also my friend daughters and my wife too and a course me. I felt more a personalize visit because the animals are there so near to you, that is a pleasure to see them and there is animals walking all around you in the zoo. Is not like Animal Kingdom were you see the animals in long distance. All the animals are in good state not like some people mentioned that they are dying. Since this is manage by Government don’t expect to be in Disney Land, like any other place manage by the Puerto Rico Government it require more effort and money to provide a better place for the tourists. Besides that, the people working were so attend and they give us a good treatment. It will be good to add a playground for children with science like the children Museum at San Juan and the visits will grow, but the government needs to invest in the maintenance;

1  Thank Akaninakai
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

We had high hopes for this zoo considering the location and wanted to take our toddler to enjoy the animals. Unfortunately we stumbled on a dead and swollen racoon and tried to report it. The front staff said they were short staffed and unable to respond. Considering we paid $13 an adult this was an expensive outing and many exhibits were closed. If you do go with small children take everything you need including food and water, there were no options for dining and potable water for Mayaguez was disrupted. This zoo really needs some loving management with financial support.