“Good”

Hotel Colonial
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Mayaguez
“Good”
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a couple nights and it was a great surprise. Very clean rooms nothing fancy but is what you want if you go on a business trip. Breakfast is adequate. Service is very good. Internet is ok. Bathrooms are small but hot water is available.

Stayed September 2013
10 Thank efcolon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed May 30, 2014

As i was reading the reviews on trip advisor i got scared, i thought it was gonna be awful, and tiny. But our stay was amazing, our room was big, the bathroom was big, and had space for all our toiletries. There was a little noise that you can here in the room, but it was perfect for getting us up and ready for another amazing day in Mayaguez, PR.

The parking is a little thight, and on the weekends it got crowded but the best parking was outside. We had room service everyday, who did an amazing job for us. And everytime we went out or in the hotel there was always someone to greed us and asked us if everything was good, or we needed anything.

We needed extra space to but frozen food( we did had a mini fridge but we bought like 30 empanadillas) and without a hassle they let us use their fridge.

The best part of our stay was the price and the location. We only paid $69 for our room and the hotel is right in the middle of “downtown” mayaguez. Like a minute walking to the plaza.

I already know where i am staying when i come back for another vacation to Puerto Rico, in the hotel Colonial!

• Stayed May 2014
6 Thank Aly_garcia
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This is an excellent hotel. The housekeeping is excellent. Wildy, administrator of housekeeping is a real asset to the hotel. The hotel is centrally located at the very heart of Mayaguez. This place is much better than the competition.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Gabriel M
Keokuk, Iowa
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Centrally located just a block away from the plaza. The room is clean ,small but adequate. The bathroom is tiny, no room for toiletries. The furniture is dated but clean. Like the fact hat we have a fridge in the room and the wifi is good. Free parking is very secure. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Free breakfast had very little variety, cookies and toast. I would stay here again if I happen to be in the Area again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lunzki7
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 17, 2014

The hotel is in a historic part of town so dated seemed fitting. The room was larger than I expected from the reviews. The wifi reception was good. The breakfast room was nicely set apart. The free breakfast had a little variety - cereal or toast and even cookies. The staff was especially helpful and the free parking very secure.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 662marc
Huntsville
Reviewed February 6, 2014

This is my 4th stay at this hotel. This hotel used to be a convent. It is a historic and important building to the City of Mayaguez. As such it is protected by the historic society etc and the owners will never have many structural remodeling options. Yes the Furniture is somewhat outdated but in good/clean condition. The price is fair but I believe $10.00 less would be perfect. If you want to get a room with Ocean view or overlooking the mountains then this is not your hotel. If you need a clean and comfortable place at a reasonable price - then this is your Hotel. I've read the reviews here and can honestly say, The problem is not the Hotel but the expectations when staying at a little hotel like this. Yes it needs some updating, and the beds could be more comfortable. I use it to shower and sleep; Other than that I am out in the town enjoying my vacation. Ricardo, Anibal and Ivan at the front desk are very helpful and accomodating. There is also a lady that works the front desk who is just as good as them.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from the street side of the building- Bring your own wash-cloth and travel essenti...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank IGNDJ
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I ended up staying here last minute when other plans fell through, and they were very accommodating to me. Nice little hotel, used to be a convent I think they said, so rooms are on the smaller size, but plenty big enough for me to stay for a night. Great rates for a hotel of this quality, which I do believe was a quality hotel. Rooms had their own bathrooms, AC, was very clean, limited secured parking in the back (so make sure to ask about that if you want a spot), free breakfast, I was very happy with the hotel. The breakfast wasn't anything spectacular, just cereal and bread if memory serves me correctly, but free is free, so I had no complaints. Staff at check in was very friendly. They said they recommend you calling them and booking through them directly to save an extra few bucks. Not sure what some of the other bad experiences are based off of, I'm a pretty easy going traveler, but I didn't personally experience anything I thought I could even have been picky about if I tried. Great place, very happy I found it.

Room Tip: Call them directly for reservation to save a few bucks, and inquire about parking.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Ryan K
heribertorosas, Owner at Hotel Colonial, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for your review. Our continental breakfast includes fresh puertorrican premium coffee, milk, orange juice, white and integral breads, butter and jellies, oatmeal cookies and dry cereals.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mayaguez
Howard Johnson Inn Downtown Mayaguez PR
Combate Beach Resort
#1 of 9 in Cabo Rojo
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Hotel Parador Guanica 1929

Been to Hotel Colonial? Share your experiences!