“San Juan, Puerto Rico”
Review of San Juan

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
jenneee
13 helpful votes
“San Juan, Puerto Rico”
Reviewed June 19, 2009

I took a vacation to San Juan, Puerto Rico from May 20 -26, 2009. I will admit to being alittle hesitant about the whole trip because I was going by myself. But... I had the time of my life!

When planning this trip, I didn't realize that it was Memorial Day weekend so there was plenty to do and lots of people to do it with.

Things I learned on this first trip to Puerto Rico:

1. The Intercontental Hotel & Resort in Isla Verde is wonderful and I look forward to returning one day.

2. People drive crazy! I wanted to rent a car, but was scared to drive there! Next time I will rent a car so I can travel around the island.

3. The city bus (a21 or c35 i think) were both quick and safe routes to and from Old San Juan and Isla Verde. Not to mention a cheap option at only 50 cents. But...the bus drivers drive crazy too, so hold on!

4. Hard Rock Cafe is the same anywhere you go (LOL)

5. Old San Juan has beautiful streets and buildings, well worth the day I spent walking around in high heat and humidity to explore. Note: wear comfortable shoes.

6. Touristy souvenirs are very expensive in Isla Verde, but way cheaper in Old San Juan.

7. Isla Verde is actually very American. I mean they have Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC, Applebees, etc. It was difficult to find a good Puerto Rican restaurant close by.

8. The El San Juan Hotel has alot of night life with live salsa dancing in the lobby area nightly (i think).

9. I spent alot of time on the beach outside the Intercontinental. I learned a bottle of Corona cost me $10 if I order from the outside bar (or inside bar for that matter)... but keep your eyes open for the beach hustlers. They sell Medalia (not even really good beer, but COLD!) for $3.00 and you can usually get then to give you 2 for 5. LOL

10. The forts are amazing! I only visited El Morro, but it was so great to walk thru and learn all the history behind it.

11. The cemetary next to El Morro is also amazing... I'm not one of those people that would typically explore a cemetary, but I did walk through this one. The details on the gravesites were amazing.

13 Thank jenneee
minneapolis, mn
15 helpful votes
“unforgettable beauty”
Reviewed May 5, 2009

Old San Juan - get there by a .75$ bus ride, or a $14. cab at least every other day you stay in Puerto Rico. We stayed in the Condado area, and made sure to spend the afternoons enjoying each intricacy of Old San Juan. You have history, forts, narrow blue-bricked streets and very nice people. We were lucky enough to see The Rum Diary being filmed (Johnny Depp) during our week long stay. You can't beat the atmosphere in Old San Juan. Thank you, Puerto Rico. Amy Nymark

1 Thank amyMinneapolis
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 helpful votes
“San Juan is beautiful and charming with rich culture and fun in the sun”
Reviewed April 22, 2009

I love Puerto Rico and I love San Juan. Old San Juan has some great historical sites to visit. El Morro Fort is a huge military fort built by the spanish. It overlooks the ocean and is a must see! The spanish colonial homes on narrow cobblestone streets are a site in itself. Its so charming and full of culture. Of coyrse there are modern parts of San Juan too. If you are looking for nightlife there is tons of it. There are restaurants, shopping and casinos too. San Juan has some nice beaches (not the best in PR, but stil nice). Isla Verde beach, Condado beach and Escambron beach are good. You can take a ferry from San Juan to Catano and go on the Bacardi Factory tour also.

I also reccomend renting a car and exploring the whole island :)

2 Thank nena8173
Oregon
6 helpful votes
“Sadly disappointed”
Reviewed March 8, 2009

When we planned our Carnival cruise over a year ago I thought that flying into San Juan would be a great exotic experience for my family. What a mistake. We stayed there the day before the cruise and three days after (two extra days due to flight delays).

The only people there that were in any way nice were the taxi drivers and the front staff of the Courtyard Mariott Miramar hotel. Somehow I think the people of San Juan are over the whole tourist thing.

The service in the restaurants was hideous. We went to a couple of Subways sandwhich places and the Sizzler. I'd never have imagined service could be so bad except in comedy movies.

The Tourism Place at the airport is a joke. We had to go there because our flight was delayed two days due to bad weather in the states. They were supposed to assist us in finding a hotel. We told them which hotel we would like to stay at and they called and made the arrangements. We got to the hotel and they had no such arrangements and said that I had requested a hotel I'd never even heard of. Thankfully the MIramar staff were so helpful and apologetic for the rude behavior of the Tourism people.

No one did anything the two days we were stuck there because they didn't want to be subjected to treatment we'd been previously given.

Not only would I never go back there or use it as a port to sail out of, I would not recommend going there to any of my friends, family or anyone else.

2 Thank Solonsgirl
Atlanta,
3 helpful votes
“Want to go to San Juan....why??”
Reviewed February 25, 2009

My new wife and I stopped in San Juan for one night before our cruise and one night after our cruise.

This is by far the worst place I have ever visited. The taxi's were extremely overpriced (I told one guy that at least Jesse James had a gun), but he didn't understand me. The locals practically refuse to speak English even though after persistence, most of them do know English.

We rented a car because the taxi ride was $60 ONE WAY and it took almost 2 HOURS to get a car after we arrived at the rental location. Once in the car, people drive like maniacs. No one there uses turn signals and outside of the "city", it's hard to even find a road that has the lane stripes painted on it!! People are all over the road, cars have scratches and dents all over them from bumping into one another and it was an overall nightmare.

The service we got at local restaurants was abysmal at best. The waitress in one restaurant even soured her look at my wife and I when we tried to order and then turned around to a native couple and was laughing, having a great time with them.

I wouldn't recommend San Juan even to someone that I dislike.

3 Thank bravesfan010

Been to San Juan? Share your experiences!