“Great Little Oasis in Old San Juan”

El Picoteo de Tapas y Paellas
Ranked #138 of 1,050 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stopped in at El Picoteo for a late lunch when visiting Old San Juan. My husband and I had some olives and spilt the Paella and it was really great! I also got a Pina Colada and unlike the hotels it was actually made properly from Coco Lopez (you can tell!). Service was great and so was the food!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

For tapas lovers very good choice with good sangria and tapas choices!The decor makes you feel like beeing in another epoque!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Bad dinner experience in San Juan, where it is almost impossible to have one! This restaurant is ridiculously expensive and you'll get the worse service ever. The portions are ridiculous; yes, I know tapas are supposed to be smaller dishes, but there is not reason to get 7 cut, staled potatoes in a "patatas bravas" order. The starters plate (for like about 29$) included about 3 slices of very bad chorizo, 3 slices of very bad jamón serrano (forget about the ibérico that was actually promised in the menu), 3 thin slices of manchego (this one was actually eatable) and 3 slices of some kind of deli cheese, about 5 olives and little pickled onions and some honey (?!!). There was not manager on view, so we were sat in an outdoor table by our server. It starter raining in the middle of dinner, and not help came; so, we had to help ourselves and open one of the umbrellas nearby until out of desperation I demanded we were sat indoors. The waiter literally stank, like, yes, very bad body odor and putrefactive breath; and being from Transylvania, decided to engaged with me in a ridiculous argument trying to sell me a bottle of wine from Toro (which I detest) when I wanted to order a bottle of Ribera del Duero. Yes I am Spanish.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This place is consistent, clean and safe. After eating everywhere else, we always came back here. Good food!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Sat outside, service was excellant and the food was perfect. Yes this is a hotel eatery but above avereage at the least. Nice menu above average cost but portions were very filling. Enjoy