“Ok pizza, great calzone & sauce, sketchy service and procedures”

Mike & Charlie's Pizza & Sub Shop
Ranked #198 of 1,082 Restaurants in San Juan
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed January 3, 2013

First I will list the observations made while waiting for a table near the front door facing the back kitchen where the food is brought out. I observed 2 servers walking out holding a customers plate of food in one hand and in the other hand they had a bite of food and were taking bites (one female & one male) did this. At the front counter I observed a male staff member take out a full trash can, re-enter restaurant put in a clean bag, start answering the telephone, and after take a plate from someone & placed in front of a diner sitting at the front counter (all done without any visible hand sanitizing). Icould not see how the ice was put into the glasses but something about what each person was doing didnt sit right with me. Each server came up to the front to make their own customers drinks & they had to bend down to get ice. I never heard a machine so I assume they all used an ice scoop, no one had on any gloves so that would leave germs on the ice scoop if it goes into the bin. I sat on the left side of the narrow dining room at a high-top table for two. The place was pretty busy. Our wait was about 20minutes. I ordered combo slices & my friend ordered a chirizzo calzone and water. I did not want anything to drink & prayed hard about the food I was going to receive. My combo pizza was overloaded and there didnt seem to be much sauce or cheese but there was an abundance of red onions, mushrooms, olives, and green peppers. I ended up putting some of my friends calzone sauce on the 1 slice that I ate. I took the other two slices home in a container. The next day I warmed up a slice but after one bite I threw it out. I would have been better off going to pizza hut, but when I am in another place I like to support and try out local spots. My friend enjoyed his calzone down to the last crumb and throughout the meal I was hoping he offered me a bite but no offer came. If I had it to do over again I would have left after I made the previous observations, but we circled the block and drove up & down the street several times looking for parking. I just went ahead and stayed. If I had been alone & had walked from my condo I would have left and never returned. I don't consider myself picky. I try many food trucks, roadside stands, and eat a lot of pizza--this was not good to me at all. I did not see any smiles on any servers faces even when they were taking orders or delivering food to tables. It was as if everyone was just trying to get through the shift. It also was extremely cold in the building. I had brought a jacket because it was supposed to rain. I put on my jacket before we were even seated. Maybe it was cold because they didnt want people to linger.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Wow the quantity of the food was amazing. The prices fair. The quality pretty good.
Not the best looking place but everything was okay for a late at night stop after a long plane ride.
Would stop again but order less food. :)

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Mike's is really strongly to recommend. The Italian food is very good. The portion are big but with a taste of quality. My wife ordered the Spaghetti with veal. She got a side dish Ceasar sales first, a large plate with spaghetti and perfect tomato sauce, and extra two big veal schnitzels baked with cheese. My vegatarian pasta was also very good (also baked) however the mozzarella and the parmesan where a bit too much. Besides our pasta's they served also excellent pizza's. I saw some passing by to our neighbors; the pizza's look terrific! The served Merlot wine was OK. Including a starter and tip we had dinner for two persons for $55. We have been 7 nights in San Juan. THis restaurant was the most price worth. Many locals in the restaurant. Walking distance from Conrad hotel.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We visited here for late night take out pizza and we were happy with the service and the pizza was great. I would recommend it.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

The restaurant is small but cozy. The service is great. The food is *abundant*. Even the salads are huge. Awesome place to eat good food!!