“Best Lunch Location!”

Cuisines: Caribbean, Puerto Rican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed April 29, 2014

My husband and I ate lunch here.We loved everything about this place! The decor it kitschy and cool, the service was fast and attentive, and the food - specifically the condiments - was outstanding.
Stand outs for us were the bacalao apps, the Whole fried snapper, and the garlic sauce on the side. Best part was the prices! The quality of the food and the location in OSJ, I expected to pay much more.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Worst service I’ve ever received in a restaurant. We waited 45 minutes for our food. 30 minutes after placing our order I noticed certain people that were seated way after us were being served before us, so I told my waiter and he insisted that it was not true. 15 minutes later he arrives with our food which did not look good at all. I ordered “bistec encebollado” (steak with onion) but the steak was as white as the onions. I told the waiter that I was very unhappy about the service and that the food, he replied “that is your opinion lady”. While paying for the bill, I asked the cashier if the manager was available and she said yes and pointed to him “the big muscle guy”. It turns out that our waiter was the manager, oh brother! If the manager is providing poor service, I can only imagine the poor service the other servers must be providing. I spoke to some locals about my experience at El Jibarito and they were not surprised. I was told that Raices Restaurant is a better choice. I'm so sorry I went to El Jibarito :(

1  Thank Judy C
Reviewed April 25, 2014

After touring around El Morro and walking around Old San Juan taking photos our traveling heroes were sweaty (hello humidity) and hungry. A couple of places were bookmarked but none of them tickled their fancy.

We were about three or so blocks away so we headed in that direction. When we arrived, we realized that everyone who was in town had the same great idea as we did. The tiny waiting area was jammed packed with people waiting for their name to be called. Just have patience while you are waiting for the wait staff to stop by to take your name. The dining room is cozy with a big feeling as there about two or so rows of tables.

We waited for about a half hour when our name was called. We were seated and handed our menus, which consisted of three pages. Just in case you are wondering espanol y ingles are both spoken here.

Our drink order was taken first:

Rum Punch ($5.00)-holy rum god batman this was one strong stiff drink. It was consumed and enjoyed too!
Mango Smoothie ($4.00) (it had rum in it, which they did not tell us)

After a little time our waiter came back to take our orders:

Pastel de platano relleno de cerdo OR (Plantain tamale filled with pork) ($8.95) each plates comes with a choice of side as well. For my side I ordered their famous Mafongo (fried plantain-based dish made with fried green plantains mashed together in a pilón with broth, garlic, olive oil, and pork cracklings or bits of bacon)
Let me be the first to say that both the tamale and the Mafongo are not to skip, from its delectable bronze hue on the outside, to its starchy carby goodness on the inside I am drooling just thinking about it!
The plantain tamale had a different taste and consistency not your tamale.

It does take awhile for food to be made; some tables got their orders faster than others did. So make sure, if you are on a cruise ship to come here with plenty of time.

A+ for service
A++ for awesome and cheap drinks
A+++ for amazing tasting food with authentic flavor
C- for the women's restroom being out of order and having to wait for the single stall men's restroom. Which I ended up not going because their back room was so hot.
A+++ for an awesome dinner under $40.00

Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Big fan of this place. My wife and I stumbled upon it while looking for a restaurant open at 5:30 (most places in OSJ are closed from 4-6). I've been to the island a lot but I've never seen mofongo with three types of plantains. I love sweet plantains and really liked this. Plus, they had a sweet plantain pie with beef. I've never had anything like that. My wife enjoyed it to. Keep in mind it's not the most romantic spot. But the food and prices are great. By the way, anyone who complains about slow service... It's obviously their first time in PR.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We had a great lunch while visiting San Juan on a cruise ship. It is an easy walk from the shopping area or the forts. The food was delicious and very reasonably priced. Lots of atmosphere and a delightful waiter.