“DO NOT LEAVE PR UNTIL YOU EAT HERE” 5 of 5 bubbles

Casa Dante
Ranked #288 of 980 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Puerto Rican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Bronx, New York
“DO NOT LEAVE PR UNTIL YOU EAT HERE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

I have been eating at this place since 1992! Every time I go to PR, and I think of food, the 1st thing that comes to mind is CASA DANTE'S. Being Puerto Rican and from NY, I've yet to this day found a place as good as this (yes its even better than Don Coqui's in NY, sorry my fellow NY'ers). The two best dishes, hands down: #1 - Churrasco Steak with Mofongo (or rice and beans if you don't like crushed plaintain. Do yourself the justice and get the Mofongo. They don't call it the House of Mofongo for nothing. #2 - Camarones al Ajillo with Mofongo de Yuca. All I have to say is WOW! Add a pitcher of Sangria and you are good to go!

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Bronx N

“Love the Mofongo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

My family was on vacation and at our hotel they referred us to this place, when we got there from outside it didn't say much but once we ate the food we understand why they told us it was a great place to taste local food!
I ordered the Mofongo of something called yuca stuffed with seafood, it was amazing, my husband ordered stuffed with Skirsteak and it was very good two, my son ordered chicken and needless to say the rest..... If we come back to Puerto Rico we will sure go again!!!!

1 Thank Jbclovestotravel
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Best Skirt Steak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

We flew into San Juan a day prior to our cruise and ate lunch at Casa Dante. The skirt steak is the best I have ever had! I can honestly say that the meal at Casa Dante was the best meal of the week - including all the meals on the cruise. Of course, the mofungo is wonderful as well. The service was warm and friendly.

Don't let the road construction in front of the restaurant scare you away. It is well worth the small amount of traffic the construction creates.

1 Thank HockeyRules13
New York, New York, United States
“Sooo good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

This place doesn't look like much but the food is delicious. Try the mofongo, carne frita, tostones or chicken chicharrones. If you don't eat meat try the homemade spinach raviolis they're yummy. They treated us like family, even bringing treats for our baby. The owners should consider giving it a makeover that reflects how good it is.

1 Thank MaritereA
Belford, New Jersey
“Looks Can Be Deceiving”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

Casa Dante looks like a small pizza restaurant from the outside (and not much different on the inside) but don’t let the looks of this establishment fool you. Parking on site is very limited and because of road construction, even more so. Valet parking is provided but I did not realize that until after we were already seated inside. Patronage was light for a Saturday night with only one other couple in the restaurant. Perhaps the dinner crowd arrives later or the rain hampered the diners but the food was well worth the raindrops and parking issues.

If you are looking for an in-depth review of the food at this establishment, then you will have to look elsewhere. I do not claim to be a food critic nor will I even attempt to be. With that said, I will give you my unprofessional take on my meal. I asked our waiter what he recommended stating that I never had mofongo and would like to try it. He suggested the strip steak/mofongo dinner. They claim that they have the best mofongo on the island but as my wife said at the time, don’t they all. They may, but I cannot verify that since I did not sample any others during the rest of our trip. I will not say that the mofongo was delicious but it was good. The strip steak on the other hand was delicious. Exactly the way I prefer my steak. I highly recommend this dish with a nice glass of sangria. Price for both dinners was very reasonable and I would definitely have this dish again if I ever get back to San Juan.

2 Thank wilecayotte