“Authentic!”

Cuisines: Puerto Rican
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We waited for about 15mins, but the wait was worth it! Authentic Puerto Rican food to die for! I had the Mofongo with Churrasco steak...I almost died because it was so delicious. Can't go wrong with this place.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Although this is a bit of a "theme" restaurant (Puerto Rico country style), the daily lunch specials were quite good and an excellent value ($8.99) for the location. Service was good and portions reasonable. Pork stew was tender and flavorful, served with rice and gandules which was also very good. The starter salad was pretty uninspired - iceberg lettuce, one sliced tomato, and Russian dressing. Decor was cute and matched the theme, with metal plates and cups, waitresses dressed in white muslin long skirts, etc.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I am not sure what the positive reviews are about, but this is a tourist trap and should be avoided at all costs. 1) salad consisted of a few leaves of iceberg lettuce and gawdawful Russian dressing. The Mojito had 1 (one) mint leaf and some ice, and tasted more like frozen lemonade. The corn stick appetizers were served with toothpicks plus more gawdawful Russian dressing, and sank in your stomach like lead. The Vegetable Mofongo was made with frozen peas, carrots and mushrooms, and was packed inside a crust of dry plantains and served in a wooden chalice. We started to wonder how they kept these things clean. The Churasco steak was almost flavorless and served in the same sort of wooden bowl, and required the hottest hot sauce they had to give it some flavor. All overpriced plus our check was tossed onto the center of the table as the waiter ran by. Avoid this place.

Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

I am equally at home in a 5 star resturant as a little place down an ally in the middle if no where. I actually prefer the ally, but this place I loved. It is in the middle of Old San Juan so It was for tourist but locals like it also. The food was very good. I had the ceviche of the day, and mofongo. The service was great. We were in no hurry so it seemed like the food came quick. The wait staff was attentive to our needs but not hovering. Beer ceviche and mofongo yeah it was Puerto Rican comfort food and it hit the spot after a day flying.

Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

So after leaving the airport, renting a car, and dodging our way way to Old San Juan, we parked our car at a garage and when we stepped outside, our blury jet-lagged eyes were staring at Raices. I had actually seen a public broadcast travel show on Puerto Rico a while back and realized in that moment that we were standing in front of a must eat location in PR.
The show recommended the Mofongo with Skirt Steak and Chimichurri so I had to try it. Happy to lose my Mofongo virginity in Raices, it was starchy, savory, and addictive! Perfectly cooked skirt steak isn't easy but this one was. The perfectly blended herbs in the Chimichurri added a freshness to the dish that I will always crave. We also tried a chicken that was stuffed with what I now think was Ñame, and wrapped in bacon. There was a heavily addictive sauce that tasted of tomato, cinnamon, olives, and other magic.
The staff was exceptionally nice, as well as every other person we met in PR. Karla was our server and answered all our Gringo, tourist questions sincerely and offered excellent advise. Another guy working there named Luis stopped by to offer us a bit more advise on some questions we'd asked Karla and drew maps for us to a great tattoo place (ask to see his muppet tattoo).
It was 10 time more hospitality than I expected, and although it may have been one of the more expensive authentic Puerto Rican meals we ate, it was also an amazing experience that we carried through the rest of our time in our new favorite island!