“Recommended by my taxi driver”
Review of Raices

Raices
Ranked #66 of 1,014 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Puerto Rican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Antioch, California
“Recommended by my taxi driver”
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

I am equally at home in a 5 star resturant as a little place down an ally in the middle if no where. I actually prefer the ally, but this place I loved. It is in the middle of Old San Juan so It was for tourist but locals like it also. The food was very good. I had the ceviche of the day, and mofongo. The service was great. We were in no hurry so it seemed like the food came quick. The wait staff was attentive to our needs but not hovering. Beer ceviche and mofongo yeah it was Puerto Rican comfort food and it hit the spot after a day flying.

• Turkish first
“Unbelievably good, authentic food!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

So after leaving the airport, renting a car, and dodging our way way to Old San Juan, we parked our car at a garage and when we stepped outside, our blury jet-lagged eyes were staring at Raices. I had actually seen a public broadcast travel show on Puerto Rico a while back and realized in that moment that we were standing in front of a must eat location in PR.
The show recommended the Mofongo with Skirt Steak and Chimichurri so I had to try it. Happy to lose my Mofongo virginity in Raices, it was starchy, savory, and addictive! Perfectly cooked skirt steak isn't easy but this one was. The perfectly blended herbs in the Chimichurri added a freshness to the dish that I will always crave. We also tried a chicken that was stuffed with what I now think was Ñame, and wrapped in bacon. There was a heavily addictive sauce that tasted of tomato, cinnamon, olives, and other magic.
The staff was exceptionally nice, as well as every other person we met in PR. Karla was our server and answered all our Gringo, tourist questions sincerely and offered excellent advise. Another guy working there named Luis stopped by to offer us a bit more advise on some questions we'd asked Karla and drew maps for us to a great tattoo place (ask to see his muppet tattoo).
It was 10 time more hospitality than I expected, and although it may have been one of the more expensive authentic Puerto Rican meals we ate, it was also an amazing experience that we carried through the rest of our time in our new favorite island!

Chicago, Illinois
“Great food..taste of our culture!!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Visiting Puerto Rico, this resurant was recommended by a native. I'm very pleased we took his suggestion. Yes, it was a little crowded but to be expected. The staff was very nice,food was excellent!! The decor was right on and the place was clean. I enjoyed my visit.

• Visited July 2012
“Highly recommend Raices”
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

I loved this place! The food was delicious. The service was good, although our food did take a bit long to come out. Our waitress was wonderful. The Agua de Guayaba was really good! Great atmosphere at Raices. Very authentic! I will definitely visit again when I visit PR.

Mississauga, Canada
“Very busy restaurant,”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

ok food, very tourist place, pork a bit dry, mofongo ..... I bet there are other restaurants they serve it better. Service was excellent. Didn't like the tables assigned for couples.

Visited October 2012