“Unbelievably good, authentic food!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Raices

Raices
Ranked #67 of 980 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Spanish, Puerto Rican
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Unbelievably good, authentic food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

So after leaving the airport, renting a car, and dodging our way way to Old San Juan, we parked our car at a garage and when we stepped outside, our blury jet-lagged eyes were staring at Raices. I had actually seen a public broadcast travel show on Puerto Rico a while back and realized in that moment that we were standing in front of a must eat location in PR.
The show recommended the Mofongo with Skirt Steak and Chimichurri so I had to try it. Happy to lose my Mofongo virginity in Raices, it was starchy, savory, and addictive! Perfectly cooked skirt steak isn't easy but this one was. The perfectly blended herbs in the Chimichurri added a freshness to the dish that I will always crave. We also tried a chicken that was stuffed with what I now think was Ñame, and wrapped in bacon. There was a heavily addictive sauce that tasted of tomato, cinnamon, olives, and other magic.
The staff was exceptionally nice, as well as every other person we met in PR. Karla was our server and answered all our Gringo, tourist questions sincerely and offered excellent advise. Another guy working there named Luis stopped by to offer us a bit more advise on some questions we'd asked Karla and drew maps for us to a great tattoo place (ask to see his muppet tattoo).
It was 10 time more hospitality than I expected, and although it may have been one of the more expensive authentic Puerto Rican meals we ate, it was also an amazing experience that we carried through the rest of our time in our new favorite island!

• 4 of 5 bubbles

• Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
“Great food..taste of our culture!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Visiting Puerto Rico, this resurant was recommended by a native. I'm very pleased we took his suggestion. Yes, it was a little crowded but to be expected. The staff was very nice,food was excellent!! The decor was right on and the place was clean. I enjoyed my visit.

• Visited July 2012
“Highly recommend Raices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

I loved this place! The food was delicious. The service was good, although our food did take a bit long to come out. Our waitress was wonderful. The Agua de Guayaba was really good! Great atmosphere at Raices. Very authentic! I will definitely visit again when I visit PR.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Mississauga, Canada
“Very busy restaurant,”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

ok food, very tourist place, pork a bit dry, mofongo ..... I bet there are other restaurants they serve it better. Service was excellent. Didn't like the tables assigned for couples.

Visited October 2012
Livingston, Alabama
“Very poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

The food was okay. The server was stressed to the breaking point. We received not a smile. We were warned that the serving staff was not friendly. I wish we had taken the warning to heart. Bad choice on our part.

• Visited October 2012