“The Real Deal”

Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Very very good PR and cuban food in a comfortable setting, great wait staff. Try the Churrasco rice and beans tostones and maduros.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,636)

Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Went with my girlfriend while staying in El Caribe Hilton from April 5 - 8 and the food was unbelievable! First for appetizers I ordered some Chorizos and those were great. Juicy and tender, lots of flavor. My girlfriend ordere something there I forgot the name but it was a ball made of cod fish with Guava sauce and it was just perfect. At first I did not want to try it but after tasting it I regretted not ordering it.
For the meal I ordered rice with beans and chicken breast in garlic sauce. They sauce was not overpowering and made the whole meal taste beyond amazing. My girl ordered mofongo with Shrimp and although it was engulf with a bunch of garlic, she loved the shrimp and the mofongo. Overall the food was one of the best I had in my stay in Puerto Rico (if not the best). One thing I didn't like was the waiter we got. Even though he did recommend the cod, the way he served was kind of cocky. He will place the drinks without looking, take things off the table without asking much but that was fine because another waiter continue to come to our table and check up on us. He's bald with glasses. Pretty cool guy.
Now with the price, we ordered 2 appetizers, 2 meals, 2 beers and 2 sangria and the total was around $70 bucks. Pretty good to the fact it was so much food. Overall, I definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We arrived at Ropa Vieja a bit early (5:00) and found that they didn't open until 6:00, so we went next door for drinks to wait. Ropa Vieja was recommended to us on our previous visit to Condado and it was too busy by the time we got there that time...this time we wanted to try it since it was recommended now by two different sources. We got there right around 6:15 and were seated right away. The atmosphere was really nice with art by local artists on the walls and it was quiet and intimate. The food was very, very good. Our server made excellent recommendations and all four of us enjoyed our entrees. The thing I remember most is the chocolate creme brulee, though. Oh my....it was heaven! I wish I could remember which entrees we ordered but I know we had some type of a flank steak and an egg roll appetizers, I had the Ropa Vieja steak specialty (which was shredded flank steak with wonderful seasoning) and some one else had a fish dish. Basically, everything was really well prepared and very tasty. My best advice is to get there early because by the time we left (around 8:00) it was VERY loud and there was a wait for a table. I can't stress enough how loud the dining room was by the time we left. We couldn't carry on a conversation at our table by then. I would go again, and go early.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I don't know if it was that the place was packed but we were a party of 4 and waited for a table for an hour and a half. After we're seated, we've wait almost another hour to be served. The food was nice but then the employees were trying to pull us from there...

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The food and service was pretty good, I had mofongo with shrimp very tasty. Service was fast and friendly. The decor and overall feel of the place is surprisingly artsy and well put together. We ate there on a Sunday late afternoon and it was not crowded. Price was fair.

1  Thank littlebrownpeanut