“Food is good. Atmosphere is OK.”
Review of Bebo's Cafe

Bebo's Cafe
Ranked #56 of 1,047 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed November 10, 2013

A friend recommended stopping at "Bebo's" when we got to PR. It took a while to find it since they have changed the name to Basilia's. The exterior of the building still shows the faint outline of where the old Bebo's sign was. Parking near the restaurant was bad, so we ended up parking a few blocks away and walking. The interior of the restaurant was undergoing some renovation so it was kind of messy in areas. It is not fancy by any means, and kind of gave me the feeling of being in a cafeteria. The place was packed but the service was still good. The food was outstanding. This was by far the best mofongo we had during our stay in PR. Lots of locals dining here which I usually take as an indicator of a good restaurant. If we had spent more time in this area, we would definitely have gone back.

There are newer reviews for Bebo's Cafe

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Since the owners has a personal dispute regarding the restaurant. The food quality has been gone downhill. Every time I go to Puerto Rico, always visit Bebos, however this is my last time going there (Nov 2013). The menu has change, The daily special has change too, when we order some of the daily special was gone too.

1  Thank alsolution
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Bebo's recently had to change their name to Basilia's, but according to the staff it is still the same owners and menu. We came here on the recommendation of our taxi driver, and the fact that it was adjacent to the hotel where we were staying. The lengthy menu here offers a wide taste of authentic Puerto Rican food. My wife and I both found several dishes that were phenomenal.

This is a cafe that is very popular with the locals, and the sort of place that you go to dig into some tasty food, not experience fine dining. It was under construction while we were there, and the was sparse. The place was packed, and noisy, but our food came out promptly and we were very happy with the service. I'm not sure that I would drive across town to eat here, but if you are staying nearby it's a great place to grab a bite for lunch.

1  Thank J B
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

While at a professional meeting, a group of us went for dinner. Clearly a popular local restaurant. We saw very few tourists. The main is incredible with lots of choices, all with an authentic Puerto Rican touIch. Our table ordered lots of food, and it was delicious with variety. The platiing was uneven. My 'mofongo' was delightful w/ steak. Large portion too. My dessert was flan, basic without much distinction. No real complaints. Our waitress was slow but helpful. Costs were reasonable and worth the value. I would return to sample dishes on their menus.

1  Thank Pucela08
Reviewed October 17, 2013

When you are in PR you have got to try the Mafongo. It is not hard to find. It is really good here. Portions are huge, you have your choice of toppings. I opted for the Octopus in garlic and was happy.
Be ready to take a long look at the menu it is very large and provides you with great variety.
My wife had the coconut flan for desert and enjoyed it.
The restaurant is right around the corner from the Doubletree Hotel in Condado.