“World Class Cuisine”

Ranked #26 of 1,092 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Pikayo is the flagship restaurant for Chef Wilo Benet. The restaurant has set standards and raised the level of luxury in fine dining in Puerto Rico. Pikayo combines exquisite taste with exclusive ambiance and unique creativity in its cuisine.Avant-garde and intrepid are two words that can be used to describe Chef Wilo Benet’s cuisine. Benet has redefined Puerto Rican cuisine and in the process has put the Island’s enchanting flavors on display for the whole world to admire.Pikayo uses the best ingredients from both sea and land. Enjoy favorites such as Maine Diver Scallops and Petit Duck Magaret.Chef Wilo and Pikayo have been featured on television and in many publications. Recently, Chef Wilo appeared as a guest judge on Bravo’s popular show, Top Chef. He followed up that experience by competing alongside other well-known chefs on Top Chef: Masters. Pikayo has also hosted Andrew Zimmern and his television show from the Travel Channel.
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The food at Pikayo is so good, I tried items on the menu I would normally not order anywhere else. This is an absolute must...

Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thanks for recommending us! Which dishes did you try? Any favorites? It was a pleasure cooking for you, and I hope you get a chance to dine with us again soon.

Best,

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Just got back from a family vacation in Puerto Rico. We ate here last night. We stayed at the Condado Plaza Hotel(also an amazing hotel) and I had seen on Television the famous chef Wilo Bennet and heard about his wonderful restaurant. We met some friends here and decided to have an adult night out for dinner and drinks. I told my husbands friends all the great reviews I had read about this place. So we were all excited to try it out. Let me tell you we were not disappointed. In fact we couldn't stop saying how delicious it was the whole time we ate. Amazing does not even begin to explain this place! We had 4 appetizers. The alcappurias, pulpo en escabeche, penne with crab and tuna sushi on crunchy rice or "pegao". I have never had such soft octopus in my life it literally melted in your mouth. For our entrees we had American sea bass, duck, and Lobster. It was all cooked to perfection. Honestly I wish I could of sampled everything on the menu. Dessert was pre order at the beginning of the meal it was chocolate soufflé with a vanilla sauce and cheese soufflé with a guava sauce. Which is a fun play on white cheese and guava paste us Puerto Ricans love so much. It came out hot and steamy. The waiter made a hole in the middle of the soufflés and poured the sauces in the middle. Absolute heaven on earth. The service was superb and the waiters were very knowledgeable of the menu.
It was fine dining at it's best. A little pricey but so worth it I would of paid double!!!

Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your kind review. I'm honored to know you had such a wonderful meal with us. It was sincerely a pleasure cooking for you. Of all the dishes you tried, which was your favorite?

Hope you get a chance to visit San Juan again soon!

Take care,

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Came here with expectation of art and nice ansamble of food, but didn't find anything other than wine from Spain with chef's name that I really liked.. First we were served Risotto with mushrooms (warm & nice flavor, but missing accent), and spicy octopus ( was nice, but too salty). Then came the duck ( which was prepared well, but I wish was done over some potatoes maybe or thin crust of bread) and Foie de gras (not bad, well cooked but didnt crave to order that dish for myself). There was also tomato salad with not tasty blue cheese ( I was asking for heirloom tomatoes so I sent it back & since they said no heirloom was available got some asparagus salad with looked like bunch of greens with yakki sauce.. didnt touch, but it stayed on my bill which is fine.. Well Im hard to please but i rarely not find one dish in perfection... The raspberry chocolate desert was good.. but maybe after the whole food disappointment still not impressed.. Try "Flying fish" in Freeport Bahamas for unreal art of food that not even looks unbelievable but shocking in variety of unusual & PLEASANT taste.. but I think tomorrow I'm not coming back to Pikayo & will try smth else in Puerto Rico..

Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Aliyaaah,

Considering you had such high expectations, I'm disheartened to hear you left feeling disappointed. Our team of chefs and I thoughtfully create our dishes using the best ingredients available. We are all about high quality ingredients and consistent simple presentations, a formula that has proven effective for 23 years. What really surprised me was the use of the word "yakki", since I can't imagine anything at all coming out of our kitchen fulfilling that description. If you decide to give us another chance, please feel free to inform your server of specifications so we can create dishes more tailored to your preferences. Always here to serve.

Best,

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Pikayo was hands down the best dining experience we had in Puerto Rico. The service was outstanding and everyone was extremely pleasant and helpful. For our meals, my husband had the filet mignon and I had the jumbo shrimp. Both entrees were excellent, and for dessert we shared a wonderful and perfectly prepared chocolate souffle to celebrate my husbands birthday.

We loved our dinner and I highly recommend this fabulous restaurant. LOVED EVERYTHING! Thank you so much!

Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Hi Meredith,

Thank you so much for your kind and enthusiastic review. I'm thrilled you love love love it! I'm glad we helped make your husband's birthday fun and memorable. I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their warm and helpful service as well.

Looking forward to your next meal with us!

All the best,

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Pikayo was our choice for fine dining while in San Juan for three nights. While we were not disappointed, neither were we “wowed”. The food was very good – as you’d expect for the price – and the service was first rate. We had scallops – the raisin and caper emulsion on which the five scallops were served was the best part of this dish – and sea bass – which was perfectly cooked. We shared a nice and affordable bottle of Pinot Grigio. Dessert was really great – the rum and pineapple baked Alaska far exceeded expectations – it was superb! We arrived before sunset and were able to enjoy the gorgeous view of the ocean. All in all, Pikayo is a good choice for fine dining in the Condado area of San Juan.

Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for your review. I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their first rate service. While I'm glad our desserts exceeded your expectations, I'm disappointed to hear you weren't "wowed" by the rest of your meal. We thoughtfully create and execute our dishes so that they're not only perfectly cooked, but also innovative and memorable. If you have any constructive feedback for us to improve, please let me know.

Best wishes,