“Superb dinner experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pikayo

Pikayo
Ranked #9 of 980 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Latin, Puerto Rican, Caribbean
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Pikayo is the flagship restaurant for Chef Wilo Benet. The restaurant has set standards and raised the level of luxury in fine dining in Puerto Rico. Pikayo combines exquisite taste with exclusive ambiance and unique creativity in its cuisine.Avant-garde and intrepid are two words that can be used to describe Chef Wilo Benet’s cuisine. Benet has redefined Puerto Rican cuisine and in the process has put the Island’s enchanting flavors on display for the whole world to admire.Pikayo uses the best ingredients from both sea and land. Enjoy favorites such as Maine Diver Scallops and Petit Duck Magaret.Chef Wilo and Pikayo have been featured on television and in many publications. Recently, Chef Wilo appeared as a guest judge on Bravo’s popular show, Top Chef. He followed up that experience by competing alongside other well-known chefs on Top Chef: Masters. Pikayo has also hosted Andrew Zimmern and his television show from the Travel Channel.
Glendale, NY
“Superb dinner experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Gourmet food, impeccable service, beautiful atmosphere overlooking ocean. Only con is the wait between courses of the tasting menu -- too long. A don't miss experience!

• Visited June 2013
Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm pleased to know you enjoyed a superb dinner and experienced impeccable service. That's the goal! It was a pleasure cooking for you, and I look forward to your next visit.

Best wishes,

Niagara Falls, Canada
“Great souffles”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Food is average but soufflés were great! Located in Conrad and looks very high end - prices are higher than they should be for what you get but food was good.

Visited January 2013
Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
While I'm glad you enjoyed our soufflés, I'm disappointed to hear you thought the rest of your experience was just average. From our exceptional staff to our creative cuisine, we set ourselves apart from other restaurants in the area always buying the best products possible to present our customers. I wish you had been more specific on how you arrived at your "average" rating since that is the only way we can use your feedback going forward.

Little Rock, Arkansas
“Classy restaurant for a birthday treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed at the Condado Conrad and treated ourselves to this expensive retaurant for my birthday dinner. The food was good except for the strange french fries and I must say the wait staff was very friendly and many were involved. The chef came out and visited with us which was a nice touch and sent us out a glass of champagne and special dessert with a candle on it. It wasn't the best food i've ever had but was very good and made me feel special.

• Visited May 2013
Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Happy Birthday! I appreciate you celebrating the occasion with us, and I'm glad to know you experienced thoughtful and friendly service. It was a pleasure meeting you the other day, and I hope you visit again the next time you're in San Juan.

Warwick, Rhode Island
“Pikayo Perfection”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I recently dined at Pikayo. The restaurant has a great view of the ocean. We chose the sampling menu which consisted of 5 , small sized portions. The cod portion was superb. The Tiger Prawns were gigantic and absolutely mouth watering. In fact, everything about the food was perfection, intense flavors, great service. It does, however, come at a steep price (about $240 for 2).

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thomas,

Thank you for your review. I'm honored to know you thought "everything about the food was perfection." I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their thoughtful service as well. It was a pleasure cooking for you, and I hope you keep us in mind the next time you visit San Juan.

San Antonio, Texas
“Who's my server?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

We went here for dinner and had high expectations. First, it was difficult to find. When you enter the hotel it is located in, there is no signage about where to go. Everyone seemed to be going up the escalator so we just followed the herd. We were seated and introduced to our server, but the server kept changing throughout the meal. Because of this poorly managed situation, they did not put in our souffle dessert order, that they were insistent on selling us in the beginning of the meal. They had to scramble to bring it out to us, and even then it was wrong. My husband ordered the spicy octopus, which was actually quite tasty. I had the heirloom tomatoes with bacon and blue cheese...it was okay. I ordered the jumbo shrimp, which I had to send back. I NEVER send food back, but these shrimp were so overcooked, I couldn't chew them. My husband ordered the duck which he said was okay. We finally got our chocolate souffle, even though we only ordered one and they brought us two (and charged us for two). If you want a nice meal in a less stuffy environment, with much friendlier service...go to Marmalade, in Old San Juan, instead.

Visited May 2013
Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm sincerely sorry you and your husband had a mixed experience. Our service record is great but like any other performer there are those who don't get to experience our very best as a result of an error factor, karma, or just plain bad luck which is inevitable and for which I apologize. I'm also surprised you experienced several issues with your food, specifically the shrimp, markets have been flooded with cheap tender shrimp many times Tiger Shrimp of inferior quality and flavor but very tender giving the perception that those shrimp with a firmer texture are overcooked. In Pikayo even vegetables are cooked to order, so even if a shrimp order is left a little longer by mistake in the "plancha" its almost impossible to overcook. Our expert team of chefs carefully composes each dish to make sure they're cooked and seasoned properly but sometimes we miss, for which I apologize again. At Pikayo we will continuously strive to prevent your experience from happening to others in the future as a result of your effort to inform us of your most recent one. If you are ever in PR again please contact us so we can have an opportunity to correct your experience and provide you the kind of service and food that Pikayo offers the great majority of times.

Wilo Benet,