“Nearly perfect meals at Pikayo”
Review of Pikayo

Pikayo
Ranked #16 of 1,050 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Pikayo is the flagship restaurant for Chef Wilo Benet. The restaurant has set standards and raised the level of luxury in fine dining in Puerto Rico. Pikayo combines exquisite taste with exclusive ambiance and unique creativity in its cuisine.Avant-garde and intrepid are two words that can be used to describe Chef Wilo Benet’s cuisine. Benet has redefined Puerto Rican cuisine and in the process has put the Island’s enchanting flavors on display for the whole world to admire.Pikayo uses the best ingredients from both sea and land. Enjoy favorites such as Maine Diver Scallops and Petit Duck Magaret.Chef Wilo and Pikayo have been featured on television and in many publications. Recently, Chef Wilo appeared as a guest judge on Bravo’s popular show, Top Chef. He followed up that experience by competing alongside other well-known chefs on Top Chef: Masters. Pikayo has also hosted Andrew Zimmern and his television show from the Travel Channel.
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Ate at Pikayo twice last week: a real splurge and worth every penny! The first night we enjoyed the tasting menu, which was beautifully prepared and included everything from shrimp to foie gras to scallop.

The second time, we had an equally (maybe more?) delicious meal. The cheese souffle with guava sauce is not to be missed. Service was not good (the waiter seemed ill-trained, too casual, and not at all attentive to detail - he forgot what we ordered several times and we waited over 30 minutes for our first course), but the maitre d' got things back on track - with free cocktails: delicious and much appreciated. A visit with Chef Benet - who was very apologetic about the service errors and incredibly kind and personable sealed the night as an experience to remember. Pikayo is not to be missed when you are in San Juan.

Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Hi Joel,

Thank you for your kind review. It was a pleasure meeting you the other day, and I'm thrilled to hear both your meals with us were wonderful. I put a lot of thought and care into the dishes I prepare, and want them to both look and taste special. I'm glad to know our service made up for our earlier missteps. I hope you had a wonderful time in San Juan, and I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

While I've eaten in the actual dining room about 5 times with clients and business associates; on most trips to San Juan I spend at least one night having dinner at the bar at Pikayo (located on the Mezzanine level of the Conrad Hilton at Condado on Ashford). The two bartenders are terrific and the service is superior.

More importantly is Wilo Benet's food. First off, have the tuna pegao! Its the perfect small plate and my personal favorite. Other's include: the little pork belly mini-burgers; fennel-arugula-manchego salad; the foir gras and plantains is ridiculously good - order a glass of calvados!

To be honest I don't order large plates all that often but when I do I tend towards the specials - and I'm always surprised and pleased.

This last trip I had pulpo (octopus) tacas and they were adorable and delish!

Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you so much for your review. I really appreciate you visiting us whenever you're in San Juan. Your continued business is the best compliment!

I put a lot of love into my cooking, so I'm honored to know you love my food. I'll be sure to let the rest of our cooks and staff know you appreciate their dedicated service as well. The next time you're in Puerto Rico, please stop by and say hello so we can thank you in person.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

The old saying, "You get what you pay for," applies completely to Pikayo, a wonderful restaurant that deserves to be at the top of any visitor's list of restaurants to experience. Before writing my review I read some of the other reviews and saw merit in a number of them. The feel of the restaurant, to me at least, was definitely 1960s Miami or Godfather II Havana, and I mean that in the very best way! The vibe is very very cool. The staff is welcoming, responsive, professional and not at all pretentious. This is no small achievement for a restaurant of this quality. The menu offers a range of a la carte choices or a well priced tasting menu. The entrees feature a range of choices that blend feature local Puerto Rican influences. Yes, it is expensive, but the experience is well worth the price.

Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for your kind review. I'm honored to know you feel we deserve "to be at the top of any visitor's list of restaurants to experience." I put a lot of thought and care into the dishes I serve, and I'm glad to know the quality of the ingredients we use shines though. I'll be sure to pass along your message to our staff, they'll be happy to hear you found their service welcoming and responsive.

I hope you had a wonderful trip to Puerto Rico, and I look forward to your next visit.

All the best,

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I'm writing this review almost 5 months after my wife and I celebrated our anniversary by dining at Pikayo. I'm prompted by a previous review, submitted in June, which was obviously misguided...the reviewer evidently intended to critique a restaurant in a museum.There is NOTHING "museum-like" about Pikayo unless you consider excellent service and superb dining as "old school". The food, atmosphere, view, and service were all excellent. The menu has something for everyone....I echo previous comments regarding the escargot and the steak. My wife had a special fish offering and loved it. Salad and sides were properly prepared and generous portions.The wait staff were attentive without making us feel rushed. We'll definitely go back if we have a chance (ie another trip to PR). Meanwhile, be assured....this isn't in a museum.

Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you so much for your review. I appreciate you defending our dining atmosphere. From our fresh and artfully crafted dishes to our warm service, we want all our guests to have a wonderful time here. I'm pleased to hear we helped make your anniversary special and memorable. The next time you're in Puerto Rico, be sure to stop by and say hello so I can thank you in person.

All the best,

Reviewed November 7, 2012

It was an awsome experience. I came for an event for my firm, but I arrived at the end, for I came from another event. Since I was form the Hostess Party, the Staff gave me options for plates from their Menu, since the event menu was closed. I ordered the Large Shrimp Plate and a chocolate Mousse cake, and I was in heaven. The food and service were simply Awsome.

Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Wow, a spiritual experience! I'm honored to know you enjoyed our food that much. Thank you for your kind review, and I hope you get a chance to dine with us again soon.