“Extremely overpriced, small portions, food OK”

Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 1,045 Restaurants in San Juan
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fortaleza Street
Transit: Bus Station is located only two blocks from the center of San Juan where Marmalade is located
Description: To preserve the Marmalade experience at the respect of our patrons the age requirement for children is 7 years or older. Marmalade serves tasting menus only of 4,5,or 6 courses. Guests are allowed to select their own course thus creating an individualized tasting menu. Each tasting menu at the table may be different. We don't offer a Ala Carte format for dining. Dinner will take a minimum of two hours at your Leisure. Groups of 6 people or more will be invited to taste Chef's seasonal tasting menu of 15 courses. Dress appropriately please, no shorts and beach sandals in the restaurant.
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Had very high expectations of Marmalade, after reading all of the positive reviews in TA, we went with a couple which are very good friends of ours. The place was full of tourists and some locals on a Saturday evening. However as a local, I found it overly expensive, and the portions were wee small. The cocktails were superb, however upon scanning the wine list, it befuddled me how can you charge a Belle Gloss Meomi Pinot Noir @ $74 per bottle, when it can be bought that same bottle and reserve at $20-22.00 in Costco. Even some other metro San Juan restaurants don't charge much for that bottle of wine. However, my wife and I ordered the lamb in tagine, the portions were small and had a lot of animal fat, on a bed of quinoa, it was a real turn off @ $34.50 per dish and you're not satisfied. The appetizer of the spaghetti squash and the tuna with melon was very good, though small portions.

1  Thank John A N
OrganicPuertoRico, Owner at Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

John,

Good morning and thanks for the note……It was a pleasure meeting the other night, so I’m sorry to hear you didn't enjoy you meal with more enthusiasm. I clearly remember cooking and serving your table. You mentioned you enjoyed the lamb when I personally stopped by your table, so my apologies for not recognizing your frustration with the portioning. The lamb is from Niman Ranch, one of the best farms in the entire US, and it most definitely shouldn’t have been fatty as this will be one of the leanest cuts of the animal. I will share that comment with the team and take a closer look. It is very typical in Puerto Rico as you know to serve huge portions of hormone/antibiotic injected, GMO food so your statement is not inaccurate at all. In our case we grow and source carefully over 100 things a year with local farms, so we simply are not part of that food styling culture I suppose. I would rather grow/source/serve the best ingredient than the biggest portion. Unfortunately our Island already has some of the highest diabetes and obesity rates in the western hemisphere. Let me know when you would like to return and I will personally spoil you and your wife.
God Bless,

Chef Peter

There are newer reviews for Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar

Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

When planning a trip to Puerto Rico, make reservations here! Best dining experience of my trip. We got the five course meal, and every course was amazing. Be sure to get the popcorn shrimp and bread pudding. Along with great food and atmosphere, the staff and service was great.

2  Thank 0405KAS1981
Reviewed June 27, 2014

My husband and I planned a last minute getaway to Puerto Rico, and of course the first place I went to plan a special dinner before our arrival was Tripadvisor. So after checking in, we headed over to Marmalade and I will say it was probably one of the best dinners I have ever had in my life.

The attention to detail, and explanation of the menu was wonderful and I decided to proceed with the four course tasting menu starting with the infamous Global Warming Cocktail. (I am now obsessed on learning how to make this wonderful cocktail at home). The joy of the meal is you can taste all of the ingredients described for each dish and not one dish was overly sauced like at so many restaurants. I am not a bean fan and followed our waitresses suggestion to try their White Bean Soup as my second course and it was actually my favorite part of my dinner. They even brought a small portion for my husband who enjoyed it as much as I did.

Yes what everyone says is true the Chef comes to every table and ensures that you enjoyed your meal and answers any questions you may have. The atmosphere was relaxed and we will most definitely be heading back again on our next trip (and maybe even twice) as far more relaxing and more enjoyable meal than what we had at 1919 two nights later

3  Thank 53VT
Reviewed June 27, 2014

My wife and I had a wonderful dinner at Marmalade. We were treated specially every step of the way by the entire staff, particularly our waiter "Eddie". We had the four course menu with the wine pairings, and I highly recommend this. The meal is an extraordinary experience. I appreciate that the owner/chef stopped by our table. He obviously cares deeply about his restaurant and diners.

It's nice to know there are still special restaurants like Marmalade. There are other places to get "good" food, but not at this level. Most of all, it's very rare to have such a complete dining experience such as this anymore. Really wonderful and highly recommended.

4  Thank reynoldsBA
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We heard from everyone we knew to try Marmalade. They were not kidding. This place is fabulous. We got the white bean soup (so worth it!), yellowfish poke, sea bass, and paella. The paella was different amd probably the only thing we wouldn't order again! The service was great, atmosphere fantastic, and the owner/chef was very personable. He went around to every table.

4  Thank Brittany T