“One of the best meals I've ever had.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar

Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 980 Restaurants in San Juan
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fortaleza Street
Transit: Bus Station is located only two blocks from the center of San Juan where Marmalade is located
Description: To preserve the Marmalade experience at the respect of our patrons the age requirement for children is 7 years or older. Marmalade serves tasting menus only of 4,5,or 6 courses. Guests are allowed to select their own course thus creating an individualized tasting menu. Each tasting menu at the table may be different. We don't offer a Ala Carte format for dining. Dinner will take a minimum of two hours at your Leisure. Groups of 6 people or more will be invited to taste Chef's seasonal tasting menu of 15 courses. Dress appropriately please, no shorts and beach sandals in the restaurant.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“One of the best meals I've ever had.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

We stayed across the street at Casablanca hotel and decided to go here for dinner. It was a pretty pricy meal since the two of us each did the 4 course meal and had a few drinks but the $200 was SO worth it. Probably one of the best meals I've EVER had. White bean soup is a must. I got the Sea Bass and my boyfriend got the Pork Cheek- both were amazing. The chef even came to our table and just chatted with us for 20 minutes after we ate. He is very friendly, creative with his dishes, and passionate about what he does. What a wonderful experience.

4 Thank Lo M

Marblehead, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not as amazing as I thought it would be.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

We went here for my 40th birthday. i had read that it was amazing and that it was a "wow" restaurant. Fodor's said the decor was amazing as well. It was ok, in my opinion. We had the tuna poke, which was in too much sauce. I had the gnocchi which was not gnocchi at all and the sauce was VERY heavy. With that being said, my husband did have the tenderloin and said he liked it. The plantain chips were very good, however. The service was nice. I thought they could have also done something special because they did know we were celebrating my 40th birthday. Would I go back? Probably not.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Stacylee K
Atlanta, Georgia
“An amazing tasting menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

My husband and I had dinner for our anniversary; what an awesome experience. The service was amazing, and all of our dishes were espectacular!!

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank MMG07
Ireland
“Nice dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

Very nice food, not exactly a tasting menu in the general understanding of the phrase but definitely worth experiencing. Very friendly staff. Great wine pairings with the food and the cocktails at the front bar were excellent. My one fault, and I think I'm alone in this, is the chef doing his table rounds, very distracting when you want to relax and enjoy your meal and, who is left in charge of the kitchen...

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
OrganicPuertoRico, Owner at Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Tim,
Good morning and thank you for your feedback and constructive review...first let me apologize for interfering with your dinner in anyway as it was perhaps interpreted by you, it was certainly not my intent. To better understand my role as the Owner, one must take in to account I create the seasonal menu changes and specials on a weekly basis but supervise the growing of over 100 different organic items on our menu throughout the course of the year. The imaginative cocktail menu is also my brainchild as well as the wine pairings you enjoyed as the role of Sommelier is also on my shoulders. With 46 employees I really oversee every little process in the restaurant, for better and worse. On any given night, I may be seen doing wine service, running food, cooking fish, taking orders or busing tables, as it depends on the cards we have been dealt on that day. I have updated your personal file in the restaurant records with your preferences for privacy, and aside from a warm welcome and farewell smile, My wife and I will allow you and your guest a relaxing dinner without my acknowledgements.
God Bless you and your family as we look forward to serving you again,
Chef Peter
“Blown away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

We made reservations for Mother's day for my wife, my son and I. Even though we live in San Juan and have gone to most of the top restaurants in the Island we had never been at Marmalade. We were simply blown away with our dinner. My wife had the four course dinner, I had the five course dinner and our son had the six course dinner. Both my son and I had the wine pairings with dinner. Everything and I mean everything was perfect, the food the wines and the service. Even though the cost is on the high end, the quality of the food and wine, the ambiance and the service were worth the price. I strongly recommend this restaurant for adults, its not a place for children. The owner and chef came to our table to explain some of the food served and even served some of the items himself, he was gracious and considerate. Since my wife had the four course dinner at the third course for the other two of us she wouldn't have had any thing to eat, but the chef sent her a complimentary aperitif. We really enjoyed this dinner and plan to return soon

2 Thank Esteban L F