“An edible painting!”

Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar
Ranked #2 of 1,099 Restaurants in San Juan
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fortaleza Street
Transit: Bus Station is located only two blocks from the center of San Juan where Marmalade is located
Description: To preserve the Marmalade experience at the respect of our patrons the age requirement for children is 7 years or older. Marmalade serves tasting menus only of 4,5,or 6 courses. Guests are allowed to select their own course thus creating an individualized tasting menu. Each tasting menu at the table may be different. We don't offer a Ala Carte format for dining. Dinner will take a minimum of two hours at your Leisure. Groups of 6 people or more will be invited to taste Chef's seasonal tasting menu of 15 courses. Dress appropriately please, no shorts and beach sandals in the restaurant.
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My daughter and I were at Marmalade on 8/10/13, it was her college graduation present to go to Puerto Rico. We booked Marmalade based on Open Table comments and a few other sites. When we were on the plane the man next to me went on and on when he found out we were going to eat there...he had photos of the food!

The place is modern, warm, a little funky, artsy in some ways, loved to the unusual chairs. We sat in the room off the side of the main dining area. The corner tables faced out with fabulous pillows, very romantic! There were rose petals all over the tables, certainly someone's celebration. I was jealous. Our server was extremely knowledgeable, friendly, funny; that was the fun thing though, initially you would think it was going to be quiet, sterile, very formal as many gourmet restaurants are, but our server and his dueling partner made it fun, they engaged us and the neighboring tables, it was interactive and comfortable.

Ok, the food. We did a four course and in retrospect we will do the wine pairing next time, highly recommend it, I looked at the wines and they were spot on. We has the paella and ceviche and it was an explosion of flavor. The paella looked liked little sushi rolls in a tomato broth, once you opened them, and scooped with the broth it was an explosion of paella in that tiny little bite. Second course was the baby kale, apple, beet salad, the baby kale was new to me and I loved the earthy taste and texture, so much better that adult kale (lol). Hannah had the white bean soup and that floored us. The taste of slight truffle was perfect because we were able to taste the beans, something that is often overlooked in ban soup, it tends to taste like everything else. Thank you Marmalade for the recipe ! Dinner was cheeky...we did halibut cheeks and pork cheeks and again wow. The halibut cheeks were in a seafood stew with clams and I think root vegetables and my pork cheeks were amazing. My favorite part was how the black bean puree, the slightly salted peanuts and a dollop of cheek just worked. Wow, black beans and peanuts. Dessert was a chocolate mousse type of dessert but my lavender blueberry cake was amazing and creative. Loved the three little 1 inch cubes of cakes with lemon ice and the sauce. Simple, perfect amount.

Hannah did the cocktails, the kiwi cocktail (OMG) and global warming. I did the wines and I did challenge the server to find something that fits both cheeks.

I cannot say enough...Hannah and I want to come back until we have tried everything. The best part is we were full from the four course but not that awful stuffed feeling. That gave us the ability to go dancing all night long. I will say this was one of our best ever and we have traveled the world...we have eaten at local shacks, gourmet you name it and this was memorable for us for the food, the ambiance, the servers.

Marmalade is for foodies and those who want to learn and experience. I agree, not the place for kids, it would ruin the culinary experience.

6  Thank Linda B
Write a ReviewReviews (4,301)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We did the five course tasting menu with wine pairings and everything was absolutely incredible. Each course got better and better and the wine and sake were exceptional and brought out the incredible flavors in the food. The signature dish, white bean soup, was a little bowl of heaven. The service was just as good as the food and we left there on a serious food high. It was also nice to chat with Chef/Owner Peter Schintler. It was an amazing experience that is not to be missed. www.bottomlesspitnyc.com has the full review!!

2  Thank bottomlesspitnyc
Reviewed August 19, 2013

You wouldn't know from the outside that this is the #1 restuarant on tripadvisor (notably out of 441 restuarants) but once you step inside you are transported into an outstanding chic ambience where service is top prioriy. There are options of doing a tasting menu or a la carte dining, we went a la carte and were not disappointed. The server provided excellent suggestions and definitely sold us on dessert. It was wonderful to see the chef not only overseeing the service but occassionaly delivering plates himself and genuinely checking in on his customers. Overall the experience was fantastic and we will definitely be back.

1  Thank MRheaB
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Do not miss Marmalade if you are staying in Old San Juan.

Server was competent, friendly, and informative. The decor is very nouveau.

The food here is totally dialed in. Every course was very good. And the wine pairings were spot on. There is a chef and/ or owner here who has total control of their enterprise.

Truffle tagliatelle was fantastic as was the radish salad,tiny white bean soup, "popcorn" shrimp, grouper, gnocchi, and pork cheeks. I love the fact that you can choose the component pieces if you choose the 4, 5, or 6 course tasting options rather than be completely at the will of the chef. Bravo!

1  Thank smydauf
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This restaurant definitely lived up to its rating as the best in San Juan. It was among our top eating experiences ever. I am a vegetarian and my husband is a carnivore and both of us were over the moon about our dinners. First of all the contemporary design of the space is interesting and our chairs were comfortably upholstered, like smallish wing chairs. The menu has al a carte options but they can also be chosen as selections in four, five, or six course tasting menus with optional wine-pairings. We chose the four course tasting menus and I had the wine pairing. Each dish was composed of complex tastes with fresh herbs. I couldn't begin to describe them, but my husband had the lamb tagine as his main course and I had the pappardelle with black truffle and greens. They were to die for. I also had what they called "popcorn shrimp" which is actually a bit of a joke because it is grilled shrimp garnished with popcorn and other things. If you like good food, go there!

1  Thank delia25