“Loved this restaurant”

Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar
Ranked #2 of 1,050 Restaurants in San Juan
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fortaleza Street
Transit: Bus Station is located only two blocks from the center of San Juan where Marmalade is located
Description: To preserve the Marmalade experience at the respect of our patrons the age requirement for children is 7 years or older. Marmalade serves tasting menus only of 4,5,or 6 courses. Guests are allowed to select their own course thus creating an individualized tasting menu. Each tasting menu at the table may be different. We don't offer a Ala Carte format for dining. Dinner will take a minimum of two hours at your Leisure. Groups of 6 people or more will be invited to taste Chef's seasonal tasting menu of 15 courses. Dress appropriately please, no shorts and beach sandals in the restaurant.
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I've eaten in the top restaurants in cities all over the world, and this is one of the best meals I've had. I do not even really know how to describe the menu because it mixed so many unique cuisines. So I'll just describe it as VERY TASTY.

This is one of the few meals I've ever had where everything from the cocktails thru dessert were so incredibly unique and spectacular. I forget the name of the cocktail I had, but it was a mojito with an ice cube filled with pepper so the longer the drink sat the spicier it got in addition to being a wonderfully unique mojito.

Everything on the menu was unique in the same way. For a main course, I had a red snapper dish that was covered in coconut, I loved it. I haven't been able to find the menu online, my guess is this chef changes it constantly based on what he's able to get fresh or just generally changes it up to keep it from getting stale.

If I had to nitpick one thing, it is that they had the air conditioning set to sub arctic. And believe me, I'm a person who likes it cold, so if I notice it's cold, trust me, it's freezing. They even offer shawls for the ladies, so they know it's cold. Ok, whatever, for the food, I'd eat it in an igloo if I had to.

Bottom line, if you're in Old San Juan and enjoy food, this is a must stop. I'd put this restaurant on par with anything trendy you might find in places like NYC or San Francisco.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,151)

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Get ready to spend some money here, but the food is great! The white bean soup is great. The popcorn shrimp is great! Everything is good, but not cheap and not traditional Puerto Rican food!

1  Thank Kyle_SA4
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

We go to nice restaurants fairly regularly and this exceeded my expectations. We did the tasting menu with the wine pairing and everything we ate was perfect! The decor is relaxing and fresh. Service outstanding, and great experience all around.

2  Thank BBFCFM93
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Awesome white bean soup. I think I may dream about it for years to come! A bit of a twist on food, not sure if the kids liked it as much as we did. But it was a cool, funky atmosphere that made the first night of our trip memorable.

1  Thank ChristineW2473
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

While the food was wonderful the service was even better. Our hotel concierge had told he he'd gotten an 8 pm reservations but when we arrived at 7:30 there was no reservation to be found. We were seated quickly anyway and enjoyed the evening. Figure on spending $115+ per person with drinks.

2  Thank Threekittens