“Best Food Experience EVER”

Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 1,047 Restaurants in San Juan
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fortaleza Street
Transit: Bus Station is located only two blocks from the center of San Juan where Marmalade is located
Description: To preserve the Marmalade experience at the respect of our patrons the age requirement for children is 7 years or older. Marmalade serves tasting menus only of 4,5,or 6 courses. Guests are allowed to select their own course thus creating an individualized tasting menu. Each tasting menu at the table may be different. We don't offer a Ala Carte format for dining. Dinner will take a minimum of two hours at your Leisure. Groups of 6 people or more will be invited to taste Chef's seasonal tasting menu of 15 courses. Dress appropriately please, no shorts and beach sandals in the restaurant.
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Best food experience ever! I made our reservation through Opentable so I knew we'd have a table when we arrived after 12+ hours of traveling. Some people complain about the price but if you look on their website the prices are listed on the menu and they're very comparable to Top of the World Stratosphere and Emeril's Orlando (and IMO this place is better). If you allow yourself to relax and enjoy the atmosphere and are willing to try new things then you'll have a great time. In almost every direction there's something cool to look at: from the backlit wavy wall installations, the mounds of decorative cushions on the couches, the little stools for ladies to rest their feet if the couch is too high, the lit archways, the wicked lighting sculptures, and sprinkled throughout are some orange light fixtures. I wanted to take the whole place home :-)

Our waiter Craig was very personable and explained even the most complex sounding items to make them enticing, a true art in itself. I kept telling him I wouldn't remember or understand but it didn't matter I was pretty much going to try everything but mom was a little more cautious. Up front he told us if we tried something and didn't like it he would replace it with something else. We did have to do that with their signature white bean soup b/c I thought it was really bland and mom doesn't eat beans but she did try it which impressed me. Overall everything else we ordered were major foodgasms. I was basically reduced to nodding and mmmm'ing b/c i couldn't form words or sentences anymore.

Here's everything I ordered: paella, white bean soup, hand rolled black truffle tagliatelle pasta [truly exceptional], homemade gnocchi, halibut cheeks, warm banana & butterscotch bread pudding [the stuff legends are told about] to which I had the wine pairings recommended by the chef. I only remembered to write down two: Meiomi, Belle Glos, Pinot Noir, Santa Barbara, 2009 and the Ron Zacapa 23, Guatemala. The former is a white wine but it's called a burgundy which was something completely new to me and it's very tasty like the reds I usually drink. The latter was the dessert pairing and is very luxurious and made for sipping.

Here's everything mom ordered: ceviche, risotto of lobster [best ever and favorite of the whole meal], white bean soup, foie gras [forget what you're eating and enjoy the heck out of it], beef tenderloin, caramel corn crème Brule and to drink Pepsi and the Passion Fruit Sangria.

My recommendation is ask for Craig, talk with the chef, relax, be enchanted, leave your worries and rush at the door; enjoy the experience.

There are newer reviews for Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Creative dishes - well presented. Excellent atmosphere with tasteful modern elegance nestled in the second oldest city in the Americas. This is the perfect spot for a special occasion. One could eat light from the impressive starter menu and a single glass of wine--but why? If your time and wallet will allow, explore the four or five course options with the chef's choice of wine pairings. The service is stellar - our server took special care of us for an anniversary dinner --and seeing a couple's engagement proposal happen at an adjacent table confirmed that we were in "the place" for an exceptional experience. (Dinner AND a show!) Cocktails, salads, the house bean soup (really!), entrees, desserts, wine...all impressive.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We are in Puerto Rico for our 39 th anniversary.. We honeymooned here. Dinner tonite at Marmalade was to die for... We come from the Boston area and i can only say that it is better than any restaurant that we have dined at in a looooong time.. Thank you to the chef. Keep up the good work!l

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Over the top service, while our bottle of white pinot grigio ( king estate - great recommendatio by the server ) was chilling in the ice bucket, the server ( forgot his name ) poured us 2 glasses from an open bottle! wow! never had this type of service rendered before in other top notch restaurants. Chef Peter personally delivered our first course of the tasting menu. Personable and down to earth, common interest in the love for singapore streetstyle food. The rest of the evening was simply delightful, each courses was delicious, well put together and not pretentious. We had the famous white bean soup ( 2nd time within 3 nights - first time was at Jam ), love the truffle oil and shaved pancetta, followed by foe grais, popcorn shrimp, parpadelle with truffle oil and arugula ( simple, satisfying and outstanding texture ), hawaiian sea bass with mint coconut rice - very good ( pan pacific influence, remind me of nasi lemak rice from singapore - chef peter was the executive chef at singapore shangrila ), halibut with clams and paprika broth - excellent ( big portion of halibut ) and lastly desserts. His famous chocolate mousse is outstanding - creamy and not heavy. The no cake with blueberry is great option for diabetics. ( very rare option even in top notch high end dining. Throughout the evening, our amazing server kept checking and pouring our wine. A divine evening, got my pic taken with chef peter and am a fan of his now....;)

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Restaurant was beautiful. The food was excellent. The whole staff was amazing. The Chef was very personable and hand delivered each one of my meals.