“excellent”

Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 1,046 Restaurants in San Juan
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fortaleza Street
Transit: Bus Station is located only two blocks from the center of San Juan where Marmalade is located
Description: To preserve the Marmalade experience at the respect of our patrons the age requirement for children is 7 years or older. Marmalade serves tasting menus only of 4,5,or 6 courses. Guests are allowed to select their own course thus creating an individualized tasting menu. Each tasting menu at the table may be different. We don't offer a Ala Carte format for dining. Dinner will take a minimum of two hours at your Leisure. Groups of 6 people or more will be invited to taste Chef's seasonal tasting menu of 15 courses. Dress appropriately please, no shorts and beach sandals in the restaurant.
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Wonderful atmosphere, food was a great interpretation of the local cuisine with a great twist.
Whimsical drink menu unlike many others.

There are newer reviews for Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Lots of healthy choices, fresh and unusual ingredients, prepared imaginatively. Our server (Craig) was knowledgable helpful, and the chef was visible throughout the evening explaining the choices and highlighting additional items which were available but not on the menu that evening. Fun drink menu and great wine list. Also, rose petals on the table because it was my birthday! Truly something for every taste in both food and drink. A great experience overall.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I feel ungrateful from not giving it a perfect review. They had a very nice atmosphere (the place is beautiful), an extraordinary service (including the waitress, the manager and the owner) and the food was delicious. They made me feel very special. They grow some of their veggies on their own farm.

However, being a middle class local, is hard for me to afford their prices (not their fault). More than a restaurant, they are a tapas bar, so the food portions are not as big as I hoped for.

So, if you are not counting pennies, and are willing to spend some money on a nice meal... this is the place to go.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

BACKGROUND: I was celebrating my 50th birthday and was never in San Juan, previously. My wife visited San Juan 25 or so years ago and was not impressed. After watching a Travel Channel “marathon” last year (2012), I told my wife I wanted to go to San Juan for my 50th because I had never been there and it looked like San Juan had so much history and good food and that I just think times have changed since she was there. We both came away impressed…

NOTE: When you step inside Marmalade, it is like you stepped into another world. It is chic and modern. You could be in Miami, New York, or San Juan. It is just so cool!

FOUR COURSE TASTING MENU WITH WINE PAIRINGS: What better way to celebrate our first time in San Juan with a taste of 4 courses, 8 in all, and wine to compliment each. First, what more can I say, than has already been written? So I will just say that Chef came to our table when we sat down and I told him I really wanted to try the 4 course wine pairing menu, but I was not a fan of “white wine.” He said that they strive to compliment each course and food with the proper wine and I will enjoy. I must say, he was correct! I had mostly whites to go with my courses, but I really enjoyed them! And when I would taste my wife’s wine, which was different because she had different food, he was spot on, the wine compliments the food. Don’t be afraid, try it!!! Here is what we had again, each with a different wine:

1st course: Popcorn Shrimp and Heirloom Golden Beets
2nd course: Tiny White Bean Soup and Hand Rolled Black Truffle Tagliatelle Pasta
3rd course: Grass Fed Organic Lamb Tagine (I had a Red to go with this, but Chef brought me out an extra glass of Hungarian Red which was excellent!) and Queen Red Snapper
4th course: Caramel Corn Crème Brûlée and Warm Banana & Butterscotch Bread Pudding

I wish I had taken more pictures to help do this review justice, but I was just enjoying my food and wine too much!!!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Marmalade is a very good restaurant. You wouldn't think that a trendy restaurant in the very touristy old quarter would be good, but Marmalade serves extremely good dishes from an extensive menu of flavors and great ideas. Everything we ate was excellent. The malbec wine we selected was very good. The service is knowledgeable, personable and friendly. We will return.