“Nice place to stay before Cruise”

Coqui del Mar Guest House
Ranked #5 of 30 San Juan B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 19, 2009

My wife and I went on a cruise out of San Juan and wanted to go down early. We found the place very easily (the address was even on my Garmin GPS I brought from home). It is just a small place in a neighborhood that is gated on one side and not far from anything you might need. We found the room and bed to be comfortable and clean. There was a small amount of noise from the area out back where everyone was lounging around, but nothing major. We slept well. We also found the guy who ran the place to be very laid back and helpful. He even let us login to his computer to print out boarding passes for our ship (we had forgot and it would save us time!!). Not a 5 star place, but great for a short stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BamaCruiser

Reviewed October 11, 2009

I just returned from a weeks stay at Coqui Del Mar and I must say I feel refreshed. October is low and very slow season. Very few tourist which I liked. Noyda and Neal live up to the reputations of previous travelers that have stayed here. I stayed in the smallest room (El Mango) on property...I am always looking for economy when traveling alone. Sometimes I wish I had a bit larger place as I am 6'4 and I stayed for a week ..that is of no fault of the owners though. The larger rooms looked nicer for a long stay for not much more money . The photos give a true representation as to what to expect. Noyda and Neal were always helpful with maps, info or supplies that you might need. I enjoyed the common courtyard and met fellow travelers whom I hung out and toured with on occasion. I am glad I didn't have a car for the most part as traffic in San Juan is miserable...but bus travel was often erratic. Sometimes I would wait for 45 minutes and just as I gave up and was walking away a bus would come by....and pass me as I wasn't at the stop. Busses might be more regular in high season. The closest bus stop is right across from the beach so the view is great while you wait. The biggest surprise was the weather. I checked forecasts regularly before I left and was expecting showers and thunder all the time every day. I rained once at night and I got sprinkled on in an afternoon...lesson is don't believe the weather you see on line it isn't always correct. I will return and use this place as a base again

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank erik4john
Reviewed October 10, 2009

We stayed at the Coqui del Mar for 3 nights prior to a cruise. Overall, I'd say it is DEFINITELY worth checking out. Neal and Noyda are absolutely fantastic!!!! We've stayed at a lot of places, and I don't think we've ever had anyone make us feel so welcome. Noyda even gave us some of their coffee until we could get some of our own. They try hard to supply whatever the guests need, from umbrellas for the rain to beach chairs to answering questions about the area to, well, you get the idea.
We stayed in the "La Concha" room, and it was nice. All appliances worked, the ac kept it cool, and the TV was a nice feature. My main complaint was no hot water. Neal said it was due to the fact it had been cloudy, as they use solar heating. Just keep that in mind if you go in the rainy season.
The location was both good and bad. The immediate area around the hotel is a bit rough. Lots of rubbish and junked cars, and the houses all have walls, iron gates, and barred windows. It was a little unnerving to walk through. Weekend nights can also be loud. However, the people we actually met were pleasant, and we never had problems. Just use some caution, and you should be fine.
The good part is that it is so close to good restaurants (Kasalta's and Case Dente come to mind), a very decent beach, a pleasant park,and the bus stop. The bus is the way to go in San Juan. You can see a lot of the city for 75 cents each way. Just remember to take change, as they don't do paper money.
I would certainly recommend the hotel. Keep in mind the area and the hot water situation, but the rest is good. It is a truly great value (I think we paid $70-80 per night or so), and you won't find nicer hosts. Enjoy!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EWHawk
Reviewed September 29, 2009

This was a wonderful quaint place to stay at during our week long trip to Puerto Rico. Noyda and Neal are a wonderful couple and very helpful with anything we needed whether it was extra pillows or directions to their favorite haunts. And the location! One block from the beach, about a 10 minute walk to a wonderful bakery and very close to the highways if you want to go anywhere on the island. They are updating the place as well so everything can get even better. I recommend this place for groups or families as it provides a bit more privacy than hotels and the whole family can stay together in one unit without being on top of each other.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Razzbelly
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We had 3 days at the end of September. We wanted a comfortable, affordable place to stay that would be close to Old San Juan (for my husband and me) and close to the beach (for our 12-year-old son and me). We found it in Coqui del Mar in the Ocean View neighborhood of San Juan. Everything you read on their website is true. They are close to the airport, close to restaurants and close to the beach (literally one block). We have a clean, well-furnished 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom condo with a full kitchen and a lovely courtyard. All the amenities needed are here - towels, beach toys, tv, etc. In addition, Noyda and Neal have been more than helpful. We return home relaxed and rejuvenated.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Selsa
Reviewed September 6, 2009

Neal was incredibally supportive. The lovely B&B really made our holiday memorable.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shirleyzhouzhou
Reviewed August 20, 2009

The Coqui Del Mar is nice little condo complex one block from the beach. The property managers Neal and Noyda were very cool and willing to help with anything we needed. We stayed in the La Luna room that was recently renovated and it was a nice room, it has a full kitchen but the bathroom is on the small side, nothing terrible just cozy. It is in between Condado and Isla Verde, not far from either one, with in walking distance. The streets are safe and the public buses are a good option to go into Old San Juan or other outer areas. We found the beach near Coqui del Mar to be very nice, not very crowded and has a great view.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple