“Perfect spot for a weekend or a long stay”

Coqui del Mar Guest House
Ranked #5 of 29 San Juan B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Alexandria, Virginia
“Perfect spot for a weekend or a long stay”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I spent three nights at Coqui del Mar in the El Cangrejo room and couldn't have picked a better place for my solo getaway. The room was clean, comfortable, and plenty roomy for one person (or two). All the extra touches/details made it feel like a home away from home: beach towels, toys, and chairs, bicycles, sunscreen, coffee, hair dryer, AppleTv, wifi, a hot tub, and comfortable common areas. The location is great - steps from the beach, restaurants, bus stops, etc. It's close enough to everything you need or want to see, while maintaining a local, neighborhood feel. The availability and responsiveness of the owner (Robert) and the onsite managers (Noyda and Neal) made the booking and stay as easy as it could be.
Check out La Placita de Santurce on a Friday or Saturday night to mingle with the locals; grab a bike and head east to Pinones on the bike path; hop on the bus to Old San Juan; or just walk out the door and down the street to the beach - you can't go wrong.
It is a residential neighborhood, so there are the expected sounds - dogs barking, garbage trucks, occasional noise from car stereos, but you also get the sounds of the coqui and the birds.
My first trip to Puerto Rico, but my stay at Coqui del Mar made sure it won't be my last!

Room Tip: El Cangrejo is great for a single or couple, quiet and semi-secluded, with a great steam shower.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank JackieB817

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 23, 2013

A group of me and my friends stayed at El Sol 3 bedroom unit walk to beach and were very happy that we did during our stay in Puerto Rico. The place itself is very spacious and comfortably slept all 8 of us. It is in the perfect location as Condado and Isla Verde are both a stone throw away. Right across the street you have what is essentially a private beach as only locals frequent it. Very close to stores, great restaurants etc. Noyda and the other woman (forgive me her name escapes me at the moment) who takes care of you during your stay were some of the most friendly and genuinely caring and warm people you will ever meet. They truly made us feel welcome and like we were at home. Always had great advice and willing to give us suggestions, and of course, always went the extra mile to make our stay as comfortable as possible. I highly recommend El Sol if you are going to be going to Puerto Rico anytime soon. thanks!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2013

First, let me say that Noyda and Neal are amazing. I stayed at the guest house this past weekend and it exceeded my expectations.

Noyda was great and helped make my boyfriends birthday special and memorable.

I highly recommend staying at Coqui del Mar. It's a 5 minute walk to the beach and 20 minutes from Old San Juan - which is beautiful.

I promise you wont regret your stay. Noyda and Neal can direct you to wherever you need to go in the area.

Thanks guys!

• Stayed September 2013
Markham, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We recently stayed a few days in the El Pescado suite of the Coqui del Mar. It fit my family of 6 perfectly (2 adults and 4 children). It was our first time in Puerto Rico and this place truly made us feel like we are home away from home. There is really good coffee in the fridge. Kitchen had everything we needed. We couldn't find a cutting board so we wrote a note and we returned from our walk. There was 2 cutting board awaiting us. We were so suprised to see sunscreen and insect repellant ... every detail is taken care of ... nice touch. Even had a washing machine and dryer to use if requested.

Now regarding the rooms. A/C in the rooms. The bed and 2 futons were super comfortable. The beddings and towels were super clean. There is Apple TV which entertained the kids and WIFI which thrilled the family so we can send updates home. For my kids, the pièce de résistance has to be the toilet with real live fishes. You do have to feed them but they are so cute and fun. Of course, it was a topic of many jokes such as "Close your eyes while I do my business" from my 10 year old or "Pwhew! Don't kill the fishes with the smell from yout b--" from my 8 year old.

There is no swimming pool but why would you need it when the beach and water is literally 2 minute walk down the street. So hard to drag my kids away. The hot tub whirl pool in the courtyard was great for destressing. You can pick up necessities in the close by Shell station but the local grocery (Plaza Loiza) is not that long of a walk away. My hubby even found a short cut from there. If looking for place to eat, do "Inca Chicken" and order the mofongo and the coriander rice.

What I found really nice was a little diary with notes from previous people that stayed there. Full of information of what to do and where to go. What's nice is some leave stuff for the next set of people staying there so it was like a welcome for the next set of people. I've not met Rob personally but his communication with us was very thorough and friendly. Noyda, you were wonderful with us and full of advice. Thanks for looking out for us. We will definitely look you up again on our next trip to PR.

Room Tip: El Pescado suite is comfortable for family of 6. It's not sound proof meaning you can hear if p...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank C C
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed in the El Mango, it is a small room with the toilet in the shower. It was perfect for the two of us. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We used the hot tub after a physically exhausting day... that was a nice way to end the day. Due to time, we did not get to use the bicycles. Being one block from the beach was awesome as well. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Walk to the grocery store and stock your little fridge!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tbr1970
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Coqui Del Mar is a TRUE gem. This past June I visited Puerto Rico with my best friend for the first time and to say that our trip was incredible would not do it justice. The moment we walked into the grounds of Coqui we felt as if we were at home. Rob and his staff were available, helpful and frankly a blast to spend time with! Our room (el cangrejo) was impeccable. The pictures online truly do not do it justice! Clean, spacious and with every amenity one could ever want. From the Netflix streaming on the apple TV to the coffee in the refrigerator to the hot tub in the courtyard we truly felt as though the staff could read our minds as to what we wanted. As a worker in the small hotel business myself I was completely blown away at the care and level of hospitality we received. Most importantly the Coqui is located away from all of the tourist trap areas, nestled into a quaint, private and safe community in San Juan. We really enjoyed staying in ocean park and felt like we were able to get the real San Juan experience by mixing with the locals(who mind you, are just as friendly as the staff) on their own turf. We will absolutely be back!!!!

Room Tip: El Cangrejo had a fully function kitchen as well as a beautiful remodeled bathroom. Perfect amount o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Juju H
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My family of 6 just got back from staying at Coqui del Mar, and our stay was perfect. Noyda and Neal helped out a lot from questions about restaurants to Boat rides. We had 4 kids and they had bikes,snorkeling wear, and board games for everyone to use! Thanks again for a great summer trip

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#19 of 46 in San Juan
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Coqui del Mar Guest House? Share your experiences!