“Good hotel, just dont park here”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed December 28, 2010

I have been a Platinum Elite member of Marriott for many years. (75 nights/year to qualify for the next year). I have stayed at countless Marriott properties for both business and pleasure. Generally I am satisfied or very satisfied. This case is no different. The service was up to typical Marriott standards as was the room and the food. One day I had to call at 10:30pm that our room was never cleaned that day. Housekeeping sent two people to clean our room at almost 11:00pm and the room was cleaned very quickly.
My big issue is that I rented a car to enjoy some time away. When you check in and pull into the lot, you receive a bar coded parking lot ticket that you bring to the desk for validation as a guest. Every single day (5 days), when I placed the ticket into the machine to exit nothing happened and I had to park the car in the exit lane to walk out and have someone help me. Fortunately, generally, the staff was accomodating and swiped their personal cards. Other times, I was forced to go into the hotel and wait my turn at the front desk. At no time did they every offer to comp my parking or do anything to make this better. it wa a real pain in the backside when you want to get out.

This is a good hotel with numerous staff that is willing to help. They do a fine job of representing the Marriott brand.

However, if you are planning to rent a car (and are not the most patient person), I suggest staying at the Marriott Stelaris just up the road by 2 blocks or at the Courtyard in Isle Verde if you want Marriott brand. Ritz Carlton is an option as well with their Marriott relationship.

Next time here I will probably stay elsewhere so that the car is not a recurring pain.

Reviewed December 28, 2010

Stayed in a room overlooking the ocean!! Gorgeous view! Awesome contemporary room! Location is somewhat away from populated venues but nevertheless it is on the strip and plenty of cabs and transportation are available if you are without a car. I certainly want to return and this is where I will stay!! Could be considered pricey but it is worth it!

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed December 28, 2010

I came to Puerto Rico to propose to my girlfriend but after seeing how beautiful the hotel location was (on the ocean) I proposed at the hotel. The location is perfect and deserves all the great ratings it received.

Reviewed December 28, 2010

We chose this hotel based on other trip advisor reviews and found it to be exactly consistent with what others reported - nice room, polite service with a smile, occasional slow or no service (typically at busier times). Waited in a line of 2-3 people to check in (around 6p). Polite service though they did not have the room type we reserved on Expedia (king ocean view). They upgraded us to a suite with partial ocean view and provided free breakfast buffet. Room was clean and huge. Balcony was really nice. Bed comfortable, maybe a bit on the soft side. Giant closet. Safe was available but not connected to floor. Liked having a kitchen and the appliances were clean. Bathroom was awesome, though, beware that the shower has frosted glass and anyone in the bedroom can clearly see the person in the shower. Not a problem for us but could be for some folks. Also about the bathroom... giant jetted tub is cool but may be difficult to use if you have trouble stepping over the 2ft edge to get in it. Also, controls are located on the far wall so you really have to get into the tub to turn the water on and off or drain the tub which was a pain. Anyway.. No maid service but thousands if towels so we didn't care. Can't say enough about the awesome free wifi. It worked EVERYWHERE - in the room, on the balcony, in the lobby, at the pool etc. Breakfast buffet was ok, would not have paid for it (hear it was $25 pp) but ok for free. At night they turn the main pool area into a restaurant called Solera (smart use of space!). Went there the first night and liked it so much we went back the second night. They serve light fare so we got two items and split them. We recommend the calamari sticks. Thought the food prices were ok but the drinks are 10-15 each so together, a meal can be quite pricey. As others mentioned, there are lots of food options within a short walk if price of the food in the hotel is an issue. About the pools, there are many. Liked the main pool best. Normally I hate the music at the pool but I though they did a good job with that here. Adult pool is beautiful but very shady after noon. Pool by the beach is very small but nice views. Could not find the hot tubs but I hear they have several. This hotel feels trendy and has lots of neat sitting areas and interesting decoration. Overall, really liked it. We only stayed 2 days (pre-cruise). Would be good for a longer term stay.

Reviewed December 26, 2010

i only want to let you know that officer bryant clement gave us a excelent service and he threat us like home. i love that feeling and we surely came back for puerto rico.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2010

The service was great...everybody were so friendly. The room was just like you see in the photos. and the view- AWESOME! We were totally blown away! The sound of the waves and the sea breeze- we did not want to leave our room!!
Location is very good..u have a subway,dunkin donuts right opposite the hotel. A lovely mexican restaurant behind the subway called Cielito lindo or something like that..it had some authentic lip smacking mexican fare..and also a very good italian one too called ilpostino. Down the road is a walgreens which was a god-send! Do not rent a car..lots of taxis around and fixed fares. The resort arranged trips to the rainforest, kayaking and snorkelling and picnic cruises..it was awesome..affordable and well worth it!
Do not shop around the resort because all are high end places..go to old SanJuan.
Excellent shopping...super cheap and awesome finds!
Overall I would def recommend this hotel! The head conceirge Ms. Louise was very nice and helpful!

Reviewed December 26, 2010

My husband & I spent 2 nights after our cruise. I'm so glad that my hubby decided to upgrade to the towers, oceanfront. The view was spectacular from our veranda, and we left the door open to hear the waves at night. My husband loved swimming in the big waves at the beach, I preferred the infinity pool. Very nice resort, and would definitely stay there again, in an oceanfront room. The only noise we heard at night was the ocean. The only thing we were surprised at was at Solera (the poolside cafe). We ordered 2 margaritas, and the waiter returned with 2 large glasses.(Everyone else had small plastic cups). Price: $15 for 1 glass....so you might ask some ??? about your drink order ahead of time!