“Beautiful, Good Location”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We recently stayed at the La Concha in June for a friends wedding weekend. The hotel was pleasantly beautiful, and located right on the beach. Being from Florida and living at the beach we were pleased. The service was very nice, we did have some problems with check in and with our bill ( but we noticed that others were having the same problem, but the staff compsensated us properly at the end of our stay. which worked out fine) The room was great, we had an oceanview room, which was beautiful The room had a king bed and flatscreen tv, & full stero system. The best part was the bathroom was huge!! Did have some issues with the shower, but once we discovered it's "quirks" we were good. The hotel has a casinowhich we used on night and several differnt restraunts and bars. We ate there some but it was very pricey. I highly recomend this little mexican place across the street that my husband and I ate at, we had a few beers and some tacos and it was great! & cheap! There are several other places close by like a subway, dounkin doughnuts, and even a Walgreens on the corner if you forget anything. This location is also very close to Old San Juan. We took a cab into the city where there you can walk around...fare around $15-20. Overall stay at this hotel was great!!! The best part about it while we were there we had several celebrities staying there that we got to get some great photos of!! We would def. stay here again.

Reviewed July 5, 2010

We decided on La Concha despite some of the mix reviews and glad that we did. We traveled with our two children ages 10 and 15. The staff are friendly and welcoming the moment we stepped out of the cab from the airport. Check in was a little slow but worth the wait. Booked trip with Orbitz and experienced some problems booking the room but once arrived they handled everything and was given an ocean front room at no extra charge. The staff went out of their way to handle any issues. Hotel decor was very South Beach and location very convenient. Short distance from Old San Juan and walking distances to several restaurants. Several swimming pools but were smaller than expected based on website photos.

We had no issues with housekeeping. We left for the beach early mornining and room was cleaned with plenty of towels by noon each day. Food was good and little overpriced but expected for this type of hotel. Service was great at the pools and beach. Tips are appreciated and a few dollars goes a long way. Never had issue with chairs or umbrellas. We did stay during the week so it may be a problem on the weekends but I am sure if you brought it to the attention of the staff they would handle.

Overall a great hotel and would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Stayed here 4 nights over 4th of July 2010. Doubt I'll be back.

Arrived very late thurs pm & front desk thanked me for being good Marriott rewards cust (nearly 40 night so far this year). As such told they 'upgraded me to a suite'. Nice room (bit Spartan in the living room, nice bath & bedroom), but missing the oceanview I paid extra for. Instead, I had a lovely view of a parking lot & a noisy street (loud bar music & car scene). At least it had a balconey.

It was past midnight, but I went to the front desk to ask for an oceanview room. After some hassle, they gave me a decent room w/ 2 queens instead of a king (no 'upgrade' w/ the oceanview & no balconey, but a nice wall of glass overlooking the ocean. Overall pleased w/ the room- nicely updated in retro style like rest of hotel. But it was bright as hell in the morning, even w/ the shades pulled. Nice towels, linens, tv, etc.

There are 3 pool areas available w/ 1 small pool dedicated to adults. Biggest pools & main beach access loaded w/ kids (hate to see this place during busy season). Lounge chairs ran out on Sunday & I assume they will during the busy season. Plus there are few umbrellas that are taken quite early (before 9am during slow season) At least the staff is very friendly & there are plenty of chairs available on the beach (be sure to tip the staff for setting up the chairs - staff is very good here).

Drinks & food are typical resort prices ($5-10 for drinks, $20 for lunch sandwich/wrap).

Overall, I'd say this is a decent place if you only want a beach vacation, but beware the 'upgrade' where they'll try to give your oceanview to higher paying guests. Plus there are better (& mucho cheaper) places in Mexico. I'm not really sure why people come here, unless you're a newbie like me or in search of an apparently good gay scene (shared taxis w/ some DC guys who filled me in on the skinny). If you're looking for culture/architecture/restaurats/nightlife, I'd recommend staying in Old San Juan ($12 + tip cab ride away - where I'll stay if I come back).

Overall, I think La Concha is a typical beach resort. Nothing stands out & it is beach resort expensive.

Reviewed July 2, 2010

We stayed one week at La Concha at the end of June 2010. While the hotel has many nice features, their customer service leaves much to be desired. Here are some examples of poor customer service:

1. Housekeeping is very spotty. Rooms are not cleaned thoroughly, clean towels are not provided, rooms are not cleaned until late in the afternoon.

2. Service when calling front desk is very slow. It took over three hours to get towels brought to the room on one night when housekeeping didn't leave towels when they cleaned the room.

3. Door lock malfunctioned and we had to wait out in the hall for 30 minutes for someone to come let us in. They acted like they were doing us a favor to let us in our room.

4. Upon checkout the person who took my money didn't even say "thanks". I don't know why they can't be friendly and gracious to guests. When you pay this much, you should get outstanding service. Aren't they supposed to be nice to the guests?

I think that

2  Thank D0gL0ver_65
Reviewed July 1, 2010

This was one of the best trips I have ever taken, the resort was amazing. The service was helpful and friendly, everything we asked for was provided for our party. We all felt extra special, the location is just a few minutes from everything, beautiful view of beach and city. A perfect combination of fun, excitement and relaxation. The staff was extraordinary got to know them all by names that's how welcome they made us feel. A special thanks to the Bell/Parking staff, always giving us a smile Felix, Noel, Henry. and of course Mr. Torres for managing a great team. Thanks to all, you made this a experience we want to relive. A resort like this with such wonderful service and sites is hard to come by. I totally recommend everyone to try it, you will not forget it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2010

We went to La Concha for our honeymoon and stayed in a 2 room suite. The views from the room were gorgeous overlooking the atlantic ocean. The staff was friendly, but the front desk always seemed to be understaffed.
They have a couple of infinity pools that overlook the beach and a large pool attached to the lobby. It reminded me of a trendy hotel you might stay at in South Beach. At night the lobby turns into a music hot spot with bands and a dj. We had dinner at Perla, the main restaurant at La Concha and the the food was excellent. The food at the pool bar is also very good. They also have a sushi bar in the lobby. I'm not sure Puerto Rico is known for it's sushi, although there are a lot of sushi restaurants in San Juan. We tried a highly recommended sushi bar nearby, and the one at La Concha was much better.
They have a casino attached to the hotel, with all the usual table games and slots. We didn't spend too much time there, but it was a nice option to have. I would recommend this hotel for younger people that enjoy nightlife and don't mind loud music at night.

Reviewed June 30, 2010

It was our first time in San Juan but the La Concha resort was a fabulous place to stay. It felt like we were in a posh Miami resort with free cabanas on the beach, multiple infinity pools, and great drinks. The rooms were very clean and modern. And the concierge was very helpful in helping us coordinate excursions and give us directions around PR. There are also high end shopping strips near by and some great restaurants. The small place across the street had some great mofangos!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends