“We want to come back...but”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
new york
“We want to come back...but”
Reviewed January 20, 2009

My husband and I stayed at LaConcha on our honeymoon 44 years ago and so, we were excited at the reopening of the property. The hotel physically is beautiful, service is courteous and very helpful. The noise is a very serious issue. The hotel comes across as smart and chic. There is no reason for the disco sound of music until 2:00 A.M. There were many guests sharing this feeling. Hope it can be worked on and if it is, we will definitely be back.

• Liked — new hotel, beautiful location
  • Disliked — the noise
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank karenklay
LaConchaResort, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this review, January 29, 2009
Thank you for your positive and constructive comments about La Concha. We appreciate all feedback as it helps to ensure guest satisfaction going forward. We are sorry you experienced some problems and these will be addressed with management. We hope you will revisit the hotel again when you are in San Juan.
Regards, Eddie Sipple, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,368)
  • Polish first
Basking Ridge. NJ
Reviewed January 18, 2009

First, the good: it's great to see that the Condado area is being rebuilt. The area was depressingly rundown after being hit by a hurricane several years ago. That's why we were excited to visit the newly refurbished La Concha for a long weekend. The lobby is sleek and appealing, staff are polite and attentive, our room was attractive with nice linens. The multi-level pool area is lovely, and we enjoyed the comfy cushioned lounge chairs protected by umbrellas on a drizzly morning. We had a terrific dinner in La Perla - pricey but worth it.

Now the bad: poolside food was lackluster and expensive. The buffet breakfast - $20 for the Continental (cold) buffet - was a big disappointment: small bowls of limp and tasteless cantelope, watermelon and honeydew covered by plastic wrap that made it difficult to access; lukewarm eggs; triangles of sweaty American cheese. And no black tea other than Earl Gray (which is NOT a breakfast tea) - I guess Tetley isn't trendy enough for La Concha's chic new image. The next morning, we walked down to the Marriott where we enjoyed a great buffet for $15. Our room wasn't serviced until 5pm on one day and not until 6:30pm the next day - I expect better service from a hotel trying to portray an upscale image.

And now the ugly: the noise from the lobby bar (music and raucous laughter) was excruciating on Friday and Saturday night, persisting until after 2am on both nights. I assume the noise wouldn't be so disruptive in the ocean-facing rooms, but it made sleep impossible in our poolside room. When I complained about this on check-out, the clerk said he was sorry we had been disturbed but basically admitted the situation would not change.

• Liked — pool area
  • Disliked — noisy bar
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vogaits
Thank you for your comments on your stay at La Concha. Our mission is to make La Concha an exceptional luxury experience for travelers and comments such as yours will help us to achieve that goal. Thanks again, and please know that we are working hard to correct these issues.
Regards, Eddie Sipple, General Manager
Mississippi
Reviewed January 14, 2009

We stayed in the hotel for my brothers wedding in Old San Juan on Jan. 11, 2009. Some good news, as well as bad news, on the hotel. First, the hotel is in a great location, beachfront and is very clean for the mostpart. The rooms are also clean with VERY comfortable beds/lines/pillows. At the corporate rate of $209.00, it was worth the money. Now the bad----we arrived at 3:30 but could not check in until 5:30 in the afternoon! Incidentials are EXPENSIVE!!!! Burger and fries are 15.00+, 10 oz. draft beer is $6.50 plus tip and bottle water is $3.00 to $5.00. My neice order room service purchasing a burger, fries and coke and it was $38.00. It was very clear that the hotel would like you to spend hundreds of dollars daily on incidentials. My brother bought beer off site because of the hotel price on beer and was told within 60 seconds at the pool that he could not bring outside beer onto pool grounds! Because of the high hotel prices on food/drink, it was a constant battle to find meals for my family at a reasonable price. I would not go back nor recommend this hotel just for that reason alone. I am far from a cheap guy but $91.00 for (2) burgers and fries and (2) kid's chicken tenders and fries is ridiculous. I wont go back until they change their pricing structure for incidentials----Lastly, the buildings are really close together for a resort area. Be prepared to see many buildings towering around you as well as some construction noise. With some restructuring, this hotel could be a great place to stay, just not now.

• Liked — The beachfront location and the comfortable room/bed
  • Disliked — Too Expensive Incidentials!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank southmscop
LaConchaResort, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2009
Thank you taking the time to review La Concha. We are pleased you enjoyed the hotel though be assured that we are taking your comments regarding the food service under advisement.
Regards,
Eddie Sipple, General Manager
ithaca
Reviewed January 13, 2009

We spend last Tuesday-Thursday chilling at La Concha. It was great. We avoided noise because it wasn't a week-end and we asked for the highest floor available -- spectacular vews from the 10th floor, The staff was very good -- even okaying a late checkout so we could have one more day at the beach, delivering an extra bathrobe immediately, etc. As for the security, I am a middle aged obviously white woman and I was always stopped. This is de rigeur in an area where crime occasionally happens. As for the newspaper, etc, there is a Wahlgreen with everything from the Wall Street Journel to the Financial Times available a block away, as well as cheap places to eat within minutes. We had a very good time, The fact that I wear a Tripadvisor baseball cap when I was at the pool or beach didn't hurt I would guess. Still, a very nice place to escape to from the
winter.

• Liked — View Room Location
  • Stayed January 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed January 11, 2009

My 23 year old daughter and I stayed in an ocean front room from Jan 2 -5 2008. Arrived about 4 pm in the afternoon and waited a couple of minutes to check in. Used valet parking and bell service - both handled by the same person who was friendly and helpful. Room was very nice with a great view of the ocean and beach.
Appreciated: Wireless internet, no charge for toll free number calls, no charge for local calls, in room fridge and tea and coffee. Room decor was lovely. Service from staff was good - front desk was ok, concierge was very helpful, valet staff also very helpful and prompt. Beach service was fine. There is a staff member to get you a lounger and also set it up where you want on the beach. Had service on the beach for drinks and food. Service was prompt and friendly. Had drinks at the bar - service was very prompt and the mojito was made from scratch without a mix which made it very good and fresh.

Casino has recently been opened and the dealers were friendly even at the $5 table.

Comment on other tripadvisor comments: You can hear the music from the lobby/pool area in your room. It was not loud enough to keep me from sleeping. However, I think it would be disruptive if you have a poolside room. Maid service did not start until noon or so. We always got clean towels, freshly made beds and replacement glasses, tea, coffee and other amenities. Concierge told me that 11:30 in the morning is still considered pretty early in Puerto Rico, something I think was confirmed by the fact that breakfast in the area restaurants is served until 3 pm every day. The shower is half open all the time, but we did not have a problem with flooding. You do need to make sure the shower is not pointed towards the open door however. I was made aware of the resort fee in advance so was not surprised by it.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — The beachfront location in Condado - walking distance to many restaurants
  • Disliked — Outdoor corridors
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
NYC
Reviewed January 5, 2009

Requested early check-in and was given a poolside cabana room by noon. Avoid these rooms if you're looking for quiet time, maybe the De La Hoya fight and the VIP party made for a very, very long poolside noisy night. Customer service is somewhat mixed, a few pleasant reps others not as caring.

Only issue was security asking (stopped at least 6 times) if I was a guest at the hotel. I found this questioning a bit insulting, maybe because I'm latina? I got over it.

The hotel is very pretty, as were the various pools and relaxing areas. The resort attendants were very friendly. Unfortunately the beach was rough that day -- there were some brave souls out there.

Heard from others the ocean view from those rooms is spectacular.

All things relative it was a nice hotel/stay.

• Liked — The bed was wonderful.
  • Disliked — Security.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank abbysgrandma
Palm Beach
Reviewed January 4, 2009

I was there for the great New Years Party, and I did see J-Lo and Marc Anthony, partying undisturbed and amongst a very CLASSY and well behaved crowd. Probably the best New Years Party I've ever been to.

The Hotel could be fantastic, the Staff is courteous and happy to serve, there is just not enough of them so inevitably things slow down and the experience suffers.

At the reception area, the CONCIERGE doubles as reservations agent and concierge. There is only one person at the business center and is not always there (I had to get a document printed by the reservations person...who was free because the concierge was receiving new guests!). The room cleaning was slow and just O.K.

The Solera (poolside restaurant) service is too slow, I asked the waiter why it was so slow and incredibly, he explained to me that the theme of the restaurant was "relaxed" so they gave "relaxed" service!
I tried to explain to him that the GUESTS were supposed to relax not the server and that the slow service actually did not relax me...he did not seem to agree, so we went across the street to eat.

La Perla restaurant is FANTASTIC , beautiful space inside of a giant Conch! but slow service takes away from the experience, again only one server to do the water, the drinks, the ordering etc...he was good but there is only so much he can do .not for a 1st class restaurant that it wants to be.

The Hotel has a very nice "European feel" and look to it, the clientele is always well dressed and elegant and the experience is great.

Jose Fas, the Lobby Manager at night is a First Class manager, I would not be surprised to see him in charge of a Four Seasons some years down the road. The rest of the people we interacted were also very good but hey are overextended and then it feels like they are providing bad service!

I'll definitely go back and support them as I want them to succeed , but they have to hire more people.

• Liked — Clean,view
  • Disliked — not enough service personel
  • Stayed December 2008
3 Thank JRLTRIP
Thank you for your positive and constructive comments about La Concha. We are pleased you enjoyed your New Year's Eve with us. As far as the staffing issues that was a busy night for our hardworking and dedicated staff and we apologize if it took a few extra minutes for you to be helped.
Regards,
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!