“La Concha- Very Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #3 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Long Island
“La Concha- Very Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2009

My family of 4 just returned last night from an 8 night family holiday/new years vacation. We stayed at the new Marriott/Renaissance resort La Concha. In short, we had a great time!
The weather was OK. The first 4 of 5 days it was partly sunny/cloudy but each day (but one) it rained for a short time and then stopped. It became annoying and led to us cancelling our snorkelling adventure due to the chance of rain and it was also quite windy the first few days. The last 4 days the weather was beautiful-sunny and about 80 degrees far.
We did go Kayacking at night (glow), went to a winter league baseball game,and Old San Juan.
Now, about La Concha,
We booked a Poolview and an Ocean Front and the front desk (Linda) put us in 2 Oceanfront rooms.
The rooms were beatiful with full Oceanfront view and sliding glass door that led to a walk-out- no full balcony. Rain shower in bathroom and interesting half glass shower door-but no flooding.
The lobby was swank, modern and attractive. The outdoor pool area was bi-level and although we wish the pools were larger they were big enough to cool off. There was another small infinity edged pool in the back overlooking the beach but it was always in the shade.-Great place to read as was the beds to the left of the pool.
The staff was very friendly! The business center had 4 computers and was always available free of charge (included in the resort fee).
Pool staff was great- towels always available as was ice water.
New casino in the lobby was very nice.
Last night of our stay was New Years eve and they had a BIG Party that was only open to hotel guests and guests that were invited by La Concha. There were alot of people at this party and it was quite festive, active and loud. They built a stage for live band on the top pool deck (had limited use last 2 days) and we were told that J.Lo and marc Anthony attended- But we didn't see them. I love loud music but this was LOUD!!!!!! Band played till the middle of the night and we could not get away from it. But it was New Years after all.
So with all of this great stuff why only 4 Stars?

Well, as mentioned here many times -housekeeping was very slow. After a few days of room not being made up by mid afternoon we got into the routine of calling each day to have room made up. This is not acceptable! Also room was really tidied up rather than deep cleaned. Glasses weren't cleaned or replaced.
Sometimes they showed up for a turn-down- sometimes not.
The hotel has had over a year to correct this problem but I've had better housekeeping at Holiday Inns and other 3 star properties.

Pool bar/Grill also VERY SLOW. Order a Hamburger- wait almost an hour till I get a CHEESEburger. Sent it back- only to see the same burger returned to me (10 minutes later) with the cheese scraped off and cold fries. Also NOT acceptable for a high rated resort especially if the hamburger costs $15. Tried ordering the 2nd day- similar wait time- and the pool grill was not that busy.

No Concierge/Executive level- so no Marriott continental breakfast/ appetizers/ wine/desserts etc. As a matter of fact no gift shop at this resort to even buy a newspaper.

So- Do I recommend la Concha? Absolutely! We had a Great vacation.

Stayed December 2008
2 Thank Steviek49

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,288)
  • Polish first
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2008

You can't beat the location. The beach is incredible. The rooms are sumptuous. But one caution: If you have a room overlooking the pool area, it turns into a disco bar at about midnight on Friday and Saturday nights and unless you are someone who can sleep through anything you will get very little of it till dawn.

• Liked — Rooms are plush
  • Disliked — the very loud music and crowd all night long outside the window
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank RayPays
LaConchaResort, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2009
Thank you for reviewing La Concha. We are grateful for the positive and negative feedback as it helps us to make improvements where they are most needed. Your comments have been shared with the management team and we are working hard to correct any problems. We hope you will stay with us again when in San Juan.
Regards,
Eddie Sipple, General Manager
Aubrey, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2008

This one of the strangest hotels we’ve stayed in. Parts of it are terrific, like the modern lobby and our spacious, well-furnished sea-view room. Other parts weren’t so great, like the beach area and beachside pool shaded by the hotel, the slow elevator service and the dirty open hallways to the rooms. Some parts don’t even exist: a newsstand-gift shop and a cafe. I found it impossible to get a morning newspaper as the front desk didn’t have any to give to guests. Continental breakfast (expensive and not included in the room rate) is served makeshift-fashion from the bar in the middle of the lobby.

We arrived in the morning after a cruise. Reception checked us into a room that hadn’t been cleaned, so after a delay we were sent to another one which was fine. After settling in, we went to Old San Juan, walked around and had lunch at the Parrot Club, which is fun. We returned to the hotel in the afternoon and hit the beach, only part of which was sunny because of the design of the hotel. The tall structure blocks the sun in the winter months, an unorthodox way to design a Caribbean resort hotel. One area of beach further out was sunny, however, so we got towels and long chairs and enjoyed ourselves.

The architecture is unremarkable except for the ugly seashell-shaped restaurant on the ocean side of the hotel. This is perched atop a flat rectangular structure that looks to be a ballroom. A walk along the beach finds several abandoned and dilapidated buildings between La Concha and its sister property the Marriott. We walked around the Marriott and much preferred it. We’ll most likely stay there next time if we want to be on the beach.

We had dinner directly across the road at a recommended restaurant that specializes in Puerto Rican food. Can’t remember the full name, but part of it is Angel. It was good and inexpensive. We ate and drank all we wanted for $60 including tip.

All in all, I rate La Concha as a 4-star wannabe. It doesn’t quite make the grade.

• Stayed December 2008
2 Thank texhills
LaConchaResort, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2009
Thank you for your review of La Concha Resort. We are sorry that your experience was less than satisfactory and your concerns are currently being addressed with the management team. We hope that you will give La Concha another try in the future.
Regards, Eddie Sipple, General Manager
st clair shores mi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2008

I thought this hotal was really nice. I like the more modern architecture, so this hotel fit the bill. The staff were very friendly and the room was very clean and comfortable. Only downside was the food a lil exspensive for my taste but it was good. The price is what you get for staying at a resort. haha
It also had beautiful views, as i stayed on the 12th floor. highly recommended for honeymooners and people who enjoy the nightlife.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — the food prices
2 Thank chaserboi1
Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2008

My wife and I went to La Concha to celebrate our 25th year wedding anniversary. I was very apprehensive since my wife wanted to go to Aruba but I talked her into going to San Juan, so I wanted everything to be perfect. I contacted the concierge, Kenia prior to our trip to have Champaign waiting and to request a top floor room. She told me that we would be upgraded to top floor with a patio and our room would be ready when we arrived at hotel at 1:00, she then said my wife would not be disappointed. We arrived, we were met with warm smiles and told our room was not ready, also there would be a & 20.00 upgrade fee per night. The room was not ready until around 4:00 - no big deal to us, since we sat by the beautiful pool and had lunch and drinks. As for the upgrade fee, I expected it, so no surprise. Especially with the rate that we paid, still an unbelievable deal. We stayed from a Sunday night to Thursday. My wife and I are fairly well traveled and enjoy upscale resorts. Here are our impressions.

The Hotel - Beautiful, modern, clean, hip, contemporary, alive
The Management - very professional - made a point to meet us
The Beach - Fun waves, Beautiful scenery, not crowed
The Location - being built up - we love the combo city/beach location.
The Pool - Pool by lobby - Very very nice, Pool by beach seems to be a waste since little sun
The Room - Modern, Comfortable, Very cozy beds, gorgeous, view, very romantic - clean - thumbs - up.
The Bathroom - Very nice - we loved the shower, we did place an additional towel on the floor and guess what - No Flood - does not take an Einstein
The Service - Most friendly and efficient staff we have ever experienced, thanks to Kenia, Louise and Rose Mary - the entire wait staff - you all made our trip memorable - thank you. I could go on and on regarding the staff. The perfect blend of professionalism and warmth. Thumbs up, up up.
Maid Service - Excellent - Rooms were made up early and at night beds turn down with chocolates, We had a couple of requests - and within minutes - we were satisfied - Ordered Room service twice, arrived right on schedule and orders were correct.
Food - Excellent, but expensive, La Perla - is a stunning restaurant. We did have a laugh when we asked if we could bring our Champaign to La Perla, we were told yes but there would be a $ 30.00 corking fee - this after we were charged to have the champaign delivered to our room - I said thanks but no thanks - we openned it ourselves.
Gym - My wife and I are gym rats and this was the best hotel gym we have ever seen - we used it everyday
Atmosphere - vibrant during the week. Sunday concert at night was latin cool - and ended early. So the noise was not a big deal.
Wednesday night party - was very loud. At one point there appeared to be roving partiers who blew horns and banged drums outside our door. My wife is a professional singer so loud music typically does not bother us - but It was very much on the obnoxious side.

Summary - Kenia was right - our trip was as close to perfect as you can get. My wife loved it and so did I. We would definately go again but would probably shy away from a Friday or Saturday night as the music late at night is a little out of control.

One last word - worth repeating - We loved the staff.

• Liked — Staff, Room, City - Oh did I mention the staff
  • Disliked — Late night music - (really early morning) - a little too loud for an upscale resort
2 Thank GVF444
syracuse
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2008

We booked this hotel after seeing it online. It stated it had recently been remodeled. The pool area was very good, but the pools were cold. Food at the Solera was very good, we ate lunch there daily. Excellent restaurants within walking distance of this hotel. Noise was a problem on the weekend in the evening. Rooms smelled musty daily, and bathrooms were small. Maid service was inconsistent.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jacksmomtravels
New York, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2008

La Concha is a lovely recently renovated resort on a nice beach in an upscale shopping area of San Juan. The room had big glass doors opening on a stunning view of the Atlantic and was equipped with flat screen TV and i-home to play ipods and nanos. The food was excellent and the staff was friendly and knowledgeable. May husband and I arrived on Wednesday and had two days of bliss before the EXTRA LOUD disco music began on Friday evening, first in the courtyard and later in the lobby until 2 a.m. There was no getting away from it. We left the hotel for a couple of hours. The strange part is that there was no one dancing or even showing any interest in listening when ever we passed through -- just a few people trying to have shouted conversations over their cocktails. The loud music was probably causing the hotel to lose business, not attract more.Then, with only a note slipped under our door overnight as notification, the hotel closed access the beach side pool for hotel guests all day on Saturday to prepare for a private event that evening. And there was more loud music,this time live, in the courtyard, the only refuge during the private party. This music could have been nice if the band has dialed down the amps but both band members and hotel staff seemed not to understand that idea. Our complaints and those of other guests -- I wasn't alone at the desk -- were meet by the staff with shrugs, polite smiles and occassional words of sympathy but no action. I wrote a letter to the manager that I left at the desk but got no ressponse, not even an apology. As much as I enjoyed the first two days, I would not risk spending my time and money there again. The experience could be bliss or torture and you will have no way of knowing which it will be.

Pat in NYC

• Liked — Ocean view
  • Disliked — Loud music
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PatinNYC
LaConchaResort, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this review, December 20, 2008
Thank you for your review of your stay at the hotel and the areas in which you feel we need improvement. We apologize for any inconvenience and I am happy to discuss these issues with you. You can email me at esipple@laconcharesort.com.
Regards, Eddie Sipple, General Manager
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,078 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!