This hotel is right on the beach. The beach is clean and they have plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas. I loved the beach there, but it is an Atlantic Ocean (waves) beach, not a Caribbean calm white sand beach. The room was awesome. We stayed in the newer part of the hotel with the suites. Room was HUGE!!. Almost a full kitchen. Huge fridge/freezer. Sink, microwave, stove top (no oven) pots, pans, plates, etc. Nice balcony. We stayed three nights, went to a different part of the island and came back. First time, got upgraded to a partial ocean view. Second time, got the city view we paid for. That was a little noisy from street noise and music, but we didn’t care. Rooms were clean. Nice shower. They had music in the bar in the lobby most nights. They also have a casino (see below for casino specific comments). The location is awesome. A short drive from old San Juan. Many good and reasonable restaurants just outside the front door. Also, you could walk to a Walgreens just a couple of blocks away and get food and drinks (including alcohol) to keep in the kitchen in the room.
Here are my only complaints:
1. They told us in writing that as a gold member that we got free breakfast and snacks at night in the concierge lounge. When we got there, I asked about it. They said it was closed, “for the holy week” (Easter). I thought that was funny, because the casino did not close, except Good Friday (because of the law). I complained and the person at the desk reluctantly gave us vouchers for the “continental breakfast” near the bar in the lounge. It was a poor substitute. They should have given us vouchers for the breakfast buffet instead. Also, she failed to tell me (although I asked repeatedly) that I was entitled to this on weekends also, based on the plan that I booked at. I also knew that we were supposed to get some voucher for some casino play. Had to ask about that too. In their defense, once we pointed it out, they were generous with the vouchers. No compensation for the concierge lounge not being open at night.
2. We did not eat there because the prices for food were high. However, what I saw others getting looked good. This was not a problem, because so many good places to eat right outside the door.
3. I am pretty sure that we could have got free parking, because we played in the casino every night, but they never told us, and we ended up paying $15/day. I figured it out on the last night.
4. The concierge was completely unhelpful. They provided virtually no information, had no information out, and seemed annoyed when you asked them something. The problem is that they don’t have a dedicated concierge. Instead people from the check in desk staff it.
The Casino. I love that they have a casino right in the hotel. That being said, don’t expect a well run casino. They have one poker table (which was a pleasant surprise, since they told me they didn’t have poker when I booked). However, the rake was more than twice that of regular casinos in Vegas or AC. The dealers were nice, but completely clueless (as was the floor person). They had weird rules and did not know the basic rules of poker. They were very slow and regularly made mistakes, so you must keep a very close eye on them. That being said, it was easy to win money. The locals who come to play are terrible poker players. They might as well open their wallets and hand you money. Of course, the table was only open a couple of hours and only a few nights (not enough players), so you can only win so much. The rest of the table games have the rules set to provide the worst odds possible. At one point, a drunk player through up on the blackjack table. They just kept on playing. Kind of weird. On weekends, they had a band playing. They were loud, but I liked it. All in all, I am still happy they have the casino.
I will stay here again next time we are in San Juan.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the La Concha Resort experience, the stunning renovation of one of San Juan's most elegantly chic properties. On a sun-drenched corner of Caribbean beachfront in San Juan's most prestigious Condado district, La Concha is an icon of modernist architecture replete with spacious exhilarating decor and detail. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Concha Hotel Renaissance
- Renaissance San Juan
- San Juan Renaissance