“Great room and location”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Leanordtown, MD
“Great room and location”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

This hotel is right on the beach. The beach is clean and they have plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas. I loved the beach there, but it is an Atlantic Ocean (waves) beach, not a Caribbean calm white sand beach. The room was awesome. We stayed in the newer part of the hotel with the suites. Room was HUGE!!. Almost a full kitchen. Huge fridge/freezer. Sink, microwave, stove top (no oven) pots, pans, plates, etc. Nice balcony. We stayed three nights, went to a different part of the island and came back. First time, got upgraded to a partial ocean view. Second time, got the city view we paid for. That was a little noisy from street noise and music, but we didn’t care. Rooms were clean. Nice shower. They had music in the bar in the lobby most nights. They also have a casino (see below for casino specific comments). The location is awesome. A short drive from old San Juan. Many good and reasonable restaurants just outside the front door. Also, you could walk to a Walgreens just a couple of blocks away and get food and drinks (including alcohol) to keep in the kitchen in the room.
Here are my only complaints:
1. They told us in writing that as a gold member that we got free breakfast and snacks at night in the concierge lounge. When we got there, I asked about it. They said it was closed, “for the holy week” (Easter). I thought that was funny, because the casino did not close, except Good Friday (because of the law). I complained and the person at the desk reluctantly gave us vouchers for the “continental breakfast” near the bar in the lounge. It was a poor substitute. They should have given us vouchers for the breakfast buffet instead. Also, she failed to tell me (although I asked repeatedly) that I was entitled to this on weekends also, based on the plan that I booked at. I also knew that we were supposed to get some voucher for some casino play. Had to ask about that too. In their defense, once we pointed it out, they were generous with the vouchers. No compensation for the concierge lounge not being open at night.
2. We did not eat there because the prices for food were high. However, what I saw others getting looked good. This was not a problem, because so many good places to eat right outside the door.
3. I am pretty sure that we could have got free parking, because we played in the casino every night, but they never told us, and we ended up paying $15/day. I figured it out on the last night.
4. The concierge was completely unhelpful. They provided virtually no information, had no information out, and seemed annoyed when you asked them something. The problem is that they don’t have a dedicated concierge. Instead people from the check in desk staff it.

The Casino. I love that they have a casino right in the hotel. That being said, don’t expect a well run casino. They have one poker table (which was a pleasant surprise, since they told me they didn’t have poker when I booked). However, the rake was more than twice that of regular casinos in Vegas or AC. The dealers were nice, but completely clueless (as was the floor person). They had weird rules and did not know the basic rules of poker. They were very slow and regularly made mistakes, so you must keep a very close eye on them. That being said, it was easy to win money. The locals who come to play are terrible poker players. They might as well open their wallets and hand you money. Of course, the table was only open a couple of hours and only a few nights (not enough players), so you can only win so much. The rest of the table games have the rules set to provide the worst odds possible. At one point, a drunk player through up on the blackjack table. They just kept on playing. Kind of weird. On weekends, they had a band playing. They were loud, but I liked it. All in all, I am still happy they have the casino.
I will stay here again next time we are in San Juan.

Room Tip: City view rooms are a litte noisy.
2 Thank Pokerroamer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,370)
  • Polish first
San Jose, California
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed in Oceanview King Suite and loved it. Resort is very pretty, clean and safe. We found seating by the pool, on the beach, at the bar, at the casino and even the cabanas without any problems. The staff is very friendly and attentive. You do need to go to bar to get drinks while at the pool/beach area but that was not a problem. Drinks were small and tasty but on the expensive side. There is a liquor store and Walgreens to the left of the resort, walking distance if you need anything. We bought a small cooler which we would take to the beach with us. There are also plenty of restaurants nearby along with upscale stores.The only negative thing which was we did not receive a map of the grounds so we found ourselves wandering around a bit. The concierge did not have a map but was helpful. Taxis are abundant and a ride to San Juan is $15. Best place to start if you are sightseeing is El Morro which is the furthest point uphill so stroll back down will be nice. If you get the chance at least have one meal at La Perla.

1 Thank MommaAmp
Franklin Park, NJ
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights, over the extended good friday / easter weekend. I am a Marriott Gold Elite member, so I am used to a certain level of treatment at every Marriott hotel that I stay at, worldwide. This was a sad exception to the norm.

1. The check-in process was very customer unfriendly. We were hustled out of our cab and told, that check-in is at 4.00 PM, and we should come back at 4.00 (it was around 12.30 PM). When I asked, can I at least go to the front desk and see what my options are, the guy said, you can do what you want, but check-in is at 4.00 PM. So I shouldn't even bother before that. Well I did go to the front desk and completed my check-in process, was given a pager, and got my room in 1 hour, at 1.30 PM. So I didn't see any reason for the person outside to be so rude.

2. The executive lounge was closed for the entire week. As a gold member, lounge access is extremely important, as it has food and juice options throughout the day, in addition to daily breakfast. Instead I got a voucher, which said I can only pick 4 items in the morning (including coffee / juice), for just the next morning (i.e. Friday morning). Nothing for the weekend, as the lounge was closed on weekends anyway, so they were not obligated to give me anything on the weekend. When I pointed this out, the lady at the front desk said I can actually get 7 items each day. The guy at the cafe said, no - only 4 items, and only once, for Friday. At this point I was frustrated with this back and forth and asked to speak with the manager. The manager on duty, finally gave me these "4-item vouchers" for Saturday and Sunday as well. When I pointed out that according to Marriott rules, they don't owe me anything as they are a "resort" and normal rules of compensation don't apply to them. (Normal rules being, if the lounge is closed, the hotel provides full breakfast or breakfast buffets to the elite member and their companion - and not insult them with 4 items in the morning). I will check with Marriott on that rule.

3. The resort fee is pretty hefty. At 18% of room rate, per day, it was over $50 per day. Didn't get a lot out of that fee, so that is something to consider when you compare room rates. They just give you a couple of bottles of water everyday, for that resort fee (at least that's the website says). If there were other benefits, we probably missed them all.

4. The beds were very uncomfortable (we were in the suite tower). Especially the mattress in the sofa bed, we had for kids.

There were a couple of advantages to the hotel - it leads to to the Ocean directly, there were two pools for families and one exclusive for adults. of the two family pools, one was shut down most of the time for private events (I guess that's extra revenue for them, so why bother with fee paying guests, who can all cramp into one pool).

The location was great - right in the heart of the Condado area. Easy access to restaurants, shopping and night life. But there were other hotels in the area that didn't charge such high rates, with so poor customer service.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Kaushik D
Eduardo R, Front Office Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Kaushik D

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for bringing your concerns to our attention.
We value the opinions and suggestions of all guests. Please accept my apologies for the problems you encountered. Let me assure you that your experience is most certainly not the norm at our Hotel. I will personally share and discuss your comments with our entire operational staff and Managers.
I kindly ask you to please call me at 787-597-0188, any day any time, I would like to know more about your experience and perhaps convince you to give us another opportunity to restore your faith and trust in La Concha Resort. Next time you decide to make reservations I will personally be in charge of all the arrangements to make sure that you have the best experience. Your patronage and continuing good will are very important to us.

Allow me to serve you once more.

Eduardo Rivera
Director of Guest Services
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

The hotel's bar was packed. The pool was beautiful, great seating. The location is perfect. The view was stunning. I still think that this hotel was slightly overpriced due to the rooms being absolutely average but overall I was definitely impressed.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Krystal V
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed with seven adults in two ocean front rooms. The hotel staff was very friendly, and someone was always available to help when needed. The check-in process was quick and easy. The hotel pools and hot tubs were wonderful. Both the ocean water and the pools were a very comfortable temperature, and we spent our evenings relaxing around the pools and hot tubs, which are open 24 hours a day. Our ocean front rooms were quiet and we were not bothered much by outside noises. The only sound we could hear when we opened the sliding doors to the outside was ocean waves!

A few negatives were that, although we made our reservations several months in advance and requested that both rooms have two queen beds, one room was a king room with sofa bed, which was very disappointing since the sofa bed had a very thin, uncomfortable mattress. It might have been okay for young kids to sleep on, but for an adult, it was not a comfortable place to spend four nights.

Also, our rooms came with only two "free" breakfasts, even though we paid an additional price to have more people in the rooms. On the one day we did eat there and paid for the extra people, the "free" breakfast was shown as $16 on the bill, while the extra breakfasts cost over $25 for the exact same meal, which was annoying, especially for a mediocre hotel buffet. Definitely suggest finding other restaurants around the area for meals that are cheaper and better.

The hotel rooms were average - not overly large, but ours were clean and worked fine for us, other than not getting two queen beds in both rooms. We did have a beautiful ocean view, but no balcony to sit on to enjoy it - just a small area, about one foot wide, to stand outside and watch the ocean waves. Also, the shower did not have a full door, so the bathroom floor got soaked with every shower. And there were not enough places to hang towels so with four people in the room we always seemed to have a pile of wet towels on the floor.

This was my first time staying at a resort hotel rather than one of the standard chains, and while the outside pool and beach areas were beautiful, I was unimpressed by the rooms considering the price. However, it did feel like a safe area with many restaurants and a Wal-Greens within easy walking distance. Note that many of Puerto Rico's major tourist attractions (rainforest, bio bay, kayaking tours, caves) are at least an hour's drive away from San Juan, and we didn't find a lot to do within walking distance of the hotel other than the beach. However, the hotel does offer many tours than include transportation and the concierge's desk was very helpful in organizing activities. You can ask for a list of their tours in advance of your stay to get things booked as some attractions do sell out.

Overall, a nice place to stay if you are willing to pay the price for the use of the pools. All beaches in Puerto Rico are public, so the La Concha beach area can be used even if you stay at one of the other hotels in the area that are not right on the beach.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Wrigs77
Luis R, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel. I am extremely glad you found our staff to be friendly and hospitable plus finding our pool and beach facilities to be in excellent condition. I am truly sorry our room design did not go in line with your particular needs and the opportunities encountered with your breakfast. I will certainly share your comments with our management staff and evaluate all options available to improve these. Please feel free to contact me directly, if I can be of assistance in the future.

Saludos,

Luis R. Rivera
lrivera@laconcharesort.com
Carriere, Mississippi
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We had a great experience staying at the La Concha for our vacation in March of 2014. The service was great and the rooms were nice. Great location with many places to eat and the beach/pool areas were awesome. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The location of this resort is tops! All the restaurants were excellent although a bit pricey. The lobby bar was super especially the bartenders and wait staff, Nayeli, Jonathan R., and Hugo. They were very accommodating and helpful with everything we asked them. Our room location was great, but needed a little cosmetic work such as new draperies since they were torn through the center. Should be replaced! Always had a good supply of clean, folded towels in the bathroom. We ordered room service for dinner one evening and it was superb, right down to the presentation! Delicious, too. Hopefully we can return next year and have as good a time as we did last week.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean in the main building.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!