“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

The hotel's bar was packed. The pool was beautiful, great seating. The location is perfect. The view was stunning. I still think that this hotel was slightly overpriced due to the rooms being absolutely average but overall I was definitely impressed.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Krystal V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,303)
  • Polish first
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed with seven adults in two ocean front rooms. The hotel staff was very friendly, and someone was always available to help when needed. The check-in process was quick and easy. The hotel pools and hot tubs were wonderful. Both the ocean water and the pools were a very comfortable temperature, and we spent our evenings relaxing around the pools and hot tubs, which are open 24 hours a day. Our ocean front rooms were quiet and we were not bothered much by outside noises. The only sound we could hear when we opened the sliding doors to the outside was ocean waves!

A few negatives were that, although we made our reservations several months in advance and requested that both rooms have two queen beds, one room was a king room with sofa bed, which was very disappointing since the sofa bed had a very thin, uncomfortable mattress. It might have been okay for young kids to sleep on, but for an adult, it was not a comfortable place to spend four nights.

Also, our rooms came with only two "free" breakfasts, even though we paid an additional price to have more people in the rooms. On the one day we did eat there and paid for the extra people, the "free" breakfast was shown as $16 on the bill, while the extra breakfasts cost over $25 for the exact same meal, which was annoying, especially for a mediocre hotel buffet. Definitely suggest finding other restaurants around the area for meals that are cheaper and better.

The hotel rooms were average - not overly large, but ours were clean and worked fine for us, other than not getting two queen beds in both rooms. We did have a beautiful ocean view, but no balcony to sit on to enjoy it - just a small area, about one foot wide, to stand outside and watch the ocean waves. Also, the shower did not have a full door, so the bathroom floor got soaked with every shower. And there were not enough places to hang towels so with four people in the room we always seemed to have a pile of wet towels on the floor.

This was my first time staying at a resort hotel rather than one of the standard chains, and while the outside pool and beach areas were beautiful, I was unimpressed by the rooms considering the price. However, it did feel like a safe area with many restaurants and a Wal-Greens within easy walking distance. Note that many of Puerto Rico's major tourist attractions (rainforest, bio bay, kayaking tours, caves) are at least an hour's drive away from San Juan, and we didn't find a lot to do within walking distance of the hotel other than the beach. However, the hotel does offer many tours than include transportation and the concierge's desk was very helpful in organizing activities. You can ask for a list of their tours in advance of your stay to get things booked as some attractions do sell out.

Overall, a nice place to stay if you are willing to pay the price for the use of the pools. All beaches in Puerto Rico are public, so the La Concha beach area can be used even if you stay at one of the other hotels in the area that are not right on the beach.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Wrigs77
Luis R, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel. I am extremely glad you found our staff to be friendly and hospitable plus finding our pool and beach facilities to be in excellent condition. I am truly sorry our room design did not go in line with your particular needs and the opportunities encountered with your breakfast. I will certainly share your comments with our management staff and evaluate all options available to improve these. Please feel free to contact me directly, if I can be of assistance in the future.

Saludos,

Luis R. Rivera
lrivera@laconcharesort.com
Carriere, Mississippi
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We had a great experience staying at the La Concha for our vacation in March of 2014. The service was great and the rooms were nice. Great location with many places to eat and the beach/pool areas were awesome. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The location of this resort is tops! All the restaurants were excellent although a bit pricey. The lobby bar was super especially the bartenders and wait staff, Nayeli, Jonathan R., and Hugo. They were very accommodating and helpful with everything we asked them. Our room location was great, but needed a little cosmetic work such as new draperies since they were torn through the center. Should be replaced! Always had a good supply of clean, folded towels in the bathroom. We ordered room service for dinner one evening and it was superb, right down to the presentation! Delicious, too. Hopefully we can return next year and have as good a time as we did last week.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean in the main building.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Little Silver, New Jersey
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the main building last January in a basic room with 2 double beds. Came back last week on business/ family vacation and was put in the tower suite when there was no availability in the main building. The room smelled very bad, like mildew and was covered up by a very strong flowery spray or deodorizer. The stink was overwhelming and the room was basically dirty. We asked 4 times for maid service and finally got the room cleaned at 6pm. It was loud to the street and the elevators were ridiculously slow.
It was a very different experience from a year ago! My expectations were high but were immediately crushed! I have recommended this hotel to many others but can't after this past weeks experience. So disappointing!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank elizabeth b
Eduardo R, Front Office Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Elizabeth B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at erivera@laconcharesort.com or 787-597-0188.

Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Eduardo Rivera
Director of Guest Services
NJ
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stayed here for spring break and were generally happy although there were a few glitches.

We had requested a one bedroom suite in the tower and got room 969 which was a street facing room. It was a nice sized room and well appointed with modern amenities. We requested a rollaway bed when we checked in and it took 3 calls to finally get someone to bring what turned out to be an air mattress. Also the 2 queen beds in the bedroom were very old with very worn out mattresses. The mattresses seemed like they weren't exactly top of the line when they were new but had been worn out. Then there was the noise, lots of street noise which went all night, literally heard music from bars/clubs down on the street past 5am.

After this we moved to room 1178 in the tower which was a king bed suite and was facing the pools. Bed still had a worn out mattress. The street noise was gone. In addition, the view was gorgeous with views of the pools and in the distance the bay and in the evening an unobstructed view of the sunset over the water of the lagoon in the distance.

The property overall is beautiful and well designed. Four pools, all gorgeous. Well appointed areas to lounge. Nice hotel lobby bar and restaurants.

I was a bit dissapointed with the breakfast billing protocol. We had breakfast for 2 included in our package, and enjoyed the breakfasts at Voga. However every day the waitress would bring the bill which included 2 other breakfasts (we were a party of 4) and also charge us for the 2 complementary breakfasts. I challenged this several times and was told that they needed to charge for the breakfast but it would be removed from my hotel bill. Then why charge for it and make me sign it? Seemed shady and not good service. If its complementary make it complementary. After a few days we got a different waitress and some of them would cross out the 2 "complementary" breakfasts. Also we were charged different amounts for the same breakfast. When I checked out of the hotel I needed to have the clerk adjust the bill to remove the "complementary" breakfasts which were charged. Seems like a lousy and deceptive practice to me. He did say he would talk to the restaurant and have them change their procedure but I can't believe I'm the first person who thought this was objectionable.

The staff overall seemed quite helpful. Felix Perez was great, always in a great mood and very welcoming. He was the star of the hotel.

So I'm a bit mixed on the hotel, it probably deserves 3.5 stars given some mixed experiences but overall we had fun and enjoyed the hotel so I'm rounding up. Great location. Beautiful property. Hotel needs to replace the beds however.

Room Tip: In tower, don't stay on island/street side, it's very noisy with unappealing view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 19, 2014

All I see out of the window is the ocean... I left the window open all night, hearing the waves crashing against the rocks and sand... fell asleep like a baby. There are three pools. I like the one where only guests aged 15 and up can swim; so peaceful. Service is a bit slow but they are attentive. We rented bikes and biked over to Old San Juan. There is a small casino at the hotel. I like the outdoor areas. It was a bit windy at times but nonetheless it was relaxing. There is a 24/7 fitness center; that means there is no excuse for me! If I find myself returning to San Juan, I would stay here again. The taxi ride to and from the airport was about $18-19 depending on how many luggage you have. I wouldn't have breakfast here (too expensive). Go to the restaurants nearby along Ashford where you can get great deals.

Room Tip: Oceanview is really nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!