“Great Couples or Singles Resort”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
New York City, New York
“Great Couples or Singles Resort”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I spent 4 nights there in late June and had a great time. We have two young sons but I am not sure we would bring them there as it was kind of trendy and I did not see too many kids there when we went, not even by the pool. For us though, it was great. We had an ocean view king room without a balcony which was more than enough space for us. We grabbed breakfast at the starbucks a few blocks away, ate lunch on the beach and ate dinner at several of the many restaurants in the area. I suggest getting to the beach area early so that you can secure a beach chair and umbrella. I did like that they go out of their way to make sure that the beach area outside of the hotel was for guests only. We did make it to Perla (the restaurant in the hotel) and found the food to be very good. The atmosphere was great too, very romantic. But I do agree with one of the reviewers that it would have been nice to have some open air space. All is all, we had a great time and look forward to returning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,358)
  • Polish first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights and had a good time. The staff was super friendly and accommodating. The ocean view from our tower suite was gorgeous. The location in Condado is great for eating, shopping and jumping off to different parts of the island for attractions.
They threw a superbowl party while we were there, had a 7 piece band playing one evening, a DJ another and basically made the main bar and lobby area a hub of activity where we could hang out and people watch. Our status gave us access to the ocean club which was very nice for breakfast.
The 2 infinity pools were always in the shade but had full views of the ocean. We enjoyed relaxing here with a drink before we returned to the room to get ready for dinner. The beach surf looks pretty intimidating. Even though they had the red flag out several days we visited we swam without any bad/dangerous undertow. The waves were the perfect size to body surf.
Lounges and umbrellas were available on the beach by just asking for them.
The nitpicky reasons I would not give La Concha it's 5th star:
We stayed here on points. We would have not found it affordable if we were paying the full rate. Food and beverages were at premium levels ($13 for a cuba libre, etc) although there were more affordable options close by outside the hotel.
The main pool area needed music.
The main pool area is on the small side and the ubiquitous reserve-towel-on-the-lounges-but-never-seem-to-be-there-insensitive-tourists made it feel more cramped than it actually was. We ended up just moving these towels aside and dealing with the people if they showed up later (in 5 days this only happened once) I wish the property could do something about these types of people, but I completely understand they have a fine line to walk to keep all sorts of visitors happy. The main pool blocked the beach view and was 1/2 in the shade by mid afternoon. There was also no bar area with a beach view which we like to have when we travel to the tropics.
Overall we would recommend La Concha as the rates for a comparable hotel in this area are about the same. The level of service really was exceptional in all phases of our stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KCBrad
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed February 7, 2014

As a corporate event manager I always have the best experiences at La Concha. Cristina Ramos, Corporate Catering Manager and her team are just pure awesomeness and always have a smile on their faces for everybody. Davis, Jimmy, Irving, Michael and Magdaliz were exceptionally patient, kind, helpful and gave me and my guests a great experience. Always a pleasure working with this team!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Ivonne_Nana
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I would like to give this hotel a higher rating, but if I end up back in Condado area (I sure hope so!) in the future, I'll give another hotel a try. To start with the positives, the staff is unbelievably great - helpful, friendly, quick, always smiling - we definitely got top notch service. Based on other reviewers, I did call to confirm my room (booked with a third-party discount travel site) choice because we had 4 girls, we needed the two Queen beds that we reserved. I had read that they try to switch rooms on some reservations and sure enough, they tried to book me in a room with one King and a sofa bed. Not acceptable. Thankfully, I had called 3 days in advance to confirm the reservation and corrected the room in advance. There were TWO weddings the weekend we were there, so I doubt I would have had a chance to change rooms had I not confirmed in advance.

The day we arrived, we were very early (about 10am). I wanted to double-confirm my room as soon as I got to town and once again, they tried to stick us in the King room with the sofa bed. Thankfully I was able to correct it once again, but they sure tried to downgrade me which left me with a bad taste in my mind.

Thankfully our room was available early since I had arrived so early on check-in day, they were able to clean and prep my room first. I got my keys and went up to the room, let myself in to check it out (my other girls were arriving later). The room was OCCUPIED!!! Thank God the person was not physically in the room, but their stuff was there. I ran back down to the front desk and they were justifiably horrified that the mistake had happened. They gave me the proper room and key and I was able to confirm that we indeed had the correct room with two Queen beds.

The room was very nice, plenty of closet and drawer space which I really like b/c when I'm on vacation, I like to unpack my suitcase and feel like I'm "settled in". We had plenty of room with 4 adults. There is a mini fridge but no kitchenette.

We had an oceanfront room which was nice, we slept with the slider open at night to get that awesome ocean waves crashing sound.

Some things I didn't care for at this hotel, there are several "infinity pools" but they really aren't b/c they just go to the sand on the beach. A true infinity pool to me has to continue onto more water so it really looks like it goes on forever. There are 2 (maybe 3?) pools on the beach side of the hotel but the way the sun travels over the hotel, these pools are in shade ALL DAY! And the water isn't heated so they are freeeeeezing cold (to me anyway, maybe not that cold if you are from very far north).

There is no cool outside bar on the beachside of the hotel. My favorite thing to do when on a beach vacation is to dine and drink while watching, hearing, and smelling the waves. I think it's a shame that there is no waterfront dining option here. There is the fancy restaurant in the clamshell (I think, we never even made it up there) but it's totally enclosed, no open-air attribute to it. Such a shame.

The main pool is in the center of the hotel structure (aka, not oceanfront) and it gets completely full very early in the day. Many of the chairs will be in shade most of the day (which may be perfect for some people) but us gals wanted to bake in the warm sunshine before heading home to the frozen northern temps so we only got a few minutes of pool time in the whole weekend b/c we couldn't score 4 lounge chairs in the sun (we also don't wake up at 8am).

The beach area is nice, but it juts up against a rock/jetty pier thing and the swimming there can be very dangerous. You need to walk up a bit before getting in the water so the strong current and waves don't drag you back towards the rocks.

You can get a very comfy lounge chair and umbrella set up for you with just a wink and a smile. During peak times, you may have to wait a few minutes but we never had to wait. The guys that set up the chairs (free chairs but we did tip the guys $1 per chair each day) will let you know where the sunniest parts of the beach are (the beach also is victim to the afternoon shade problem) if you ask nicely. You can get bar and food service on the beach, just be prepared to wait and if you see the guy with the tray walking around, you'll probably have to go chase him down the first time. Once you start ordering, he'll keep visiting.

The prices all over the hotel are very high, resort prices as you can imagine. You'll pay out the nose for every morsel of food or sip of beverage. And when you accidentally drop a brand new fresh "double" pina colada in the sand, at those prices, that really stings.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much. But we paid over $400/night for our room and I feel like I paid for a lot of "services" that I never used or needed. Next time, I'll try a different room in the area or stay in a different neighborhood. You can walk to many other bars/restaurants on the strip very safely but they are all pricey also b/c they are in the resort district. We had breakfast at a national chain every morning b/c those prices were normal ($1.50 breakfast egg sandwich). There are a few fast food joints along the strip with "normal" prices for a quick b'fast or lunch option so you can save cash for a nicer dinner.

Room Tip: Make sure you confirm your reservation if the bed choices you reserved are important. They tried TWI...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank sollycat
Luis R, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your stay at the hotel. It appears we fell short in meeting your expectations and for this we sincerely apologize. Our mission is to make La Concha an exceptional luxury experience for travelers and comments such as yours will help us to achieve that goal. We were happy to read that overall you seemed to have enjoyed your stay. The concerns encountered have been brought to our management team's attention and we are confident on your next visit you will find everything to your liking. I hope that you could give us another opportunity to prove to you that we can do it better. Please contact me directly if that opportunity should arise and I can guarantee you that your experience will be memorable.

Saludos,

Luis R. Rivera
lrivera@laconcharesort.com
Amherst, New Hampshire
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

We have been here for 5 days and the trip has been just alright. Overall the hotel is nice, but not great and definitely not worth the money. The rooms are nice, we have a suite, but they didn't have any ocean or pool views so we are facing the city and it's a terrible view. The room also spells musty. The food and drinks are very expensive and the service isn't great, especially around the pool. You have to track down the waitstaff to get food / drinks; except for Ricardo. He was fantastic but we only say him our first day. This goes for the casino as well.
Like I said, it's. Nice hotel but there are definitely better places for the money.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Luis R, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for letting us know about your stay at our property. I’m glad to learn that you liked our Suite and regret that you were not satisfied with your view. We have ocean view suites in the Ocean Tower as well as the Suite Tower. Upgrades are based upon availability and on occasions limited due to our high occupancy, however we ensure that every guest has the room type that they booked.

Please accept my apologies for your experience at the pool and I can assure you that your remarks have been discussed with our Management staff. Thank you for acknowledging the service received by Ricardo Muñoz.

If the opportunity should be granted to allow us to prove to you that we can do it better, please contact me directly.

Saludos,

Luis R. Rivera
lrivera@laconcharesort.com
WI
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We just got back from spending 5 days here.
You have it all......beach, pools, great food, bars and lovely rooms. Oh, forgot to mention the casino.
La Concha is located in the middle of the Condada so you can walk everywhere. There are lots of bars, restaurants, shopping and parks to explore.
Try this hotel.
Tip; Grab a couple mojitos and head to the adult only pool at night to watch the stars. :)

Room Tip: IMO all rooms are good except the small ones next to the elevators.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kiki t
Vienna VA
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Christina and Jimmy have been making our vacations memorable for the last five years. They are always friendly and give great service. We will be back for our sixth year next year and add a day each year.
Great place to have a vacation. And the beach is awesome. The weather is always great.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!