“Good but could be better”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I stayed at La Concha for 5 nights. This is my last night at La Concha and decided to write a review while I am here. I am in the business center which has 3 computers. They also have several laptops in the lobby during the day. They are all free to use. Actually, you pay a resort fee so it is part of that fee. I will give a quick overview of my stay.

AIRPORT: the trip from the airport was $18.50 for 2 adults and two bags. It was a quick ride and the taxi attendants at the airport were very efficient.

CHECK IN: I arrived 2 hours prior to the hotel's 4 PM check in. I was told that my room was not available however, I would get a call on my cellphone when my room was ready. I was also informed that there would be a daily $100 charge on my credit card until I checked out. I decided to go to the gym while I waited for my room. The staff was quick to direct me to the lobby bathroom where I could change my clothes to go to the gym. I stayed in the gym for an hour then returned to the front desk to see if my room was ready. The staff at the desk informed me that they had tried to reach me and left a message that my room was ready. The call came 10 minutes after I had left the front desk. I did ask for a higher room but they did not have any due to a wedding party. I ended up on the 4th floor which was okay.

ROOM: Although the lobby is beautiful, I found some fault with my room. The carpet was stained. There weren't any doors on the closets. The toilet handle would get stuck in the "down" position everytime you flushed. This caused the water to continously run unless you lifted the handle back up. I reported this problem the first day when I arrived. The front desk staff said they would send someone up but when I returned to the hotel later that day, it was not repaired. There seemed to be pictures missing from the walls in the room. There was not anywhere to hang wet bathing suits. Most people put their suits on hangers and hung them on the railing of the small balcony. Once these minors things are dealt with, the rooms would be great.

STAFF: All of the staff was very helpful throughout my stay here. They were all pleasant and always eager to help. The only complaint I had was with the housekeeping staff. I did not find that they did a good job cleaning the rooms and replacing items. I was in the room one day when the maid came. She made up the bed. She cleaned the bathroom. However, she did not sweep the tiled floors, did not vacuum and did not wipe off any furniture in the room. This was on my third night here so I feel that there should have been some extensive cleaning by then. They give you a robe to use and I put it to be cleaned the third day of my stay and was not given a replacemnt one. There were extra towels in the room upon arrival but were never replaced when the maid came. On my fourth day, I did call for extra towels and the robe; they were both brought up promptly. I also had to call for extra toilet tissue because the maid never replaced them. Today my room was not cleaned when I returned at 4 PM. This was the first day that happened. I called and it was cleaned within the half hour. Also, one day the maid left the toilet bowl cleaning brush ON THE COUNTER! YUCK! Another day, the maid left a dirty pillowcase on the dresser. I am not a clean freak but there are some things that are not acceptable.

For the most part, I enjoyed my stay here and would stay here again. the gym is FANTASTIC!!! The pools are nice. They are there for relaxation not intensive swimming. I ate at the breakfast buffet one day. It was good and filling. I mostly ate outside the hotel. For dinner, I ate twice at Orozco's down the block. I went to Columbo's for lunch one day. I ate empanadas from the little store across the street most days. They were good and cheap!

• Stayed: August 2008
LaConchaResort, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2008

We were happy to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that you found our Fitness Center to be 'fantastic'. The minor problems you encountered have been brought to our management team's attention and we are confident on your next visit you will find everything to your liking, once again.
Best regards, Eddie Sipple, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (7,681)

Reviewed July 29, 2008

My husband and I stayed at La Concha from July 13 thru July 17 and were very happy with the hotel. The staff was off-the-charts helpful, the lobby and pool areas were stunning and the pool waitresses could not have been more attentive. The room was lovely (ocean front) and very spacious with a large flat-screen TV and a helpful Ipod charger! One morning we slept in and received a call from housekeeping wondering if we required service. When I said "yes" they actually scheduled an appointment to clean the room at my convenience. Also, we never had an issue with security or safety and were frequently asked for our room key.

The few downsides include the surrounding construction in Condado which is out of the hands of the hotel. The area is going thru a rebirth and will be amazing in a few years. For now, you have to deal with some cranes, etc. Also, La Concha may want to rethink the 4pm check in policy. We arrived much earlier and had to kill time at the bar without our mosquito repellent (it was in our luggage). 4pm is way too late. All in all...we liked La Concha a great deal and would return!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sweebs
Reviewed July 25, 2008

Stayed here for 5 nights in July for 2 business trips.

Positives:
Great location - many very good/excellent local restaurants within walking distance.
Very helpful & knowledgeable concierge. Efficient check-in & valet.
5 minute jog east to mostly residential areas of the Condado. Lots of locals mixed with the tourists makes for an upbeat environment.
Great lobby/bar area. New rooms (12/07) are sleek & ultra functional. Great floor to ceiling oceanfront windows. Can listen to the ocean, feel the breeze at night!!
Improved security in the pool area - Had to show my room key even at 6am!

Negatives:
Most Marriott properties have a "Continental Buffet" for cereal, fruit, etc. Had to pay $20 for the full buffet every morning, yet still only had a choice of 5 cereals - only 2 "healthy" choices. Had a delay one morning to get coffee - no waiter was around.

Room not cleaned to Marriott standards - saw the same 3 pieces of rice on the floor 3 days in a row; bathroom shelves needed more attention & saw some small ants during my last stay. Deadbolt didn't work because the frame wasn't square.

Overall: I think it's probably the best place to stay in the Condado area, but could use some improvement.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Senior-Top-Dog
LaConchaResort, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2008

Thank you for your positive and constructive comments about La Concha Resort. We apologize for any glitches during your stay, but our guests' comfort and satisfaction is of premier importance to us and your concerns have been discussed with the management team. We hope that you will consider La Concha Resort again.
Regards,
Eddie Sipple, General Manager

Reviewed July 25, 2008

My sister and I are both from Puerto Rico but we live in the states and had not gone back to visit in a very long time. We decided that going home together would be a great experience since we would be going as tourists and we had not seen each other in three years. We decided to stay in La Concha because of its location and good reviews. We were given a beautiful room on the seventh floor with a beautiful view of the beach. The hotel is very modern and beautiful and the employees are all very friendly, respectful and always willing to do everything that will make your stay more comfortable.

La Concha is a hotel for young people, newlyweds or mature people who like to have fun and stay up until late. I would not recommend it to families with small children. Music and loud people can be heard upstairs until early morning hours. The beach, although very beautiful, can be very dangerous to little ones.

The location of the hotel is very convenient as you can walk to other hotels and various good restaurants. The food served downstairs by the pool is excellent although pricey. Ikakos across the street has very good food at reasonable prices.

The Luquillo beach is beautiful and if you have time to go to Culebra and Boqueron, do so. Culebra has the most beautiful beach with the right number of visitors. It was a delight to spend the day there. Do not expect any conveniences if you go for the day. Make sure that you fly (takes 15 minutes) and that you take your own towels. Once there, you can take a cab from the airport to the beach for $2.00 per person. Old San Juan and El Yunque are a must. Make sure that you shop for items made in Puerto Rico. Do not confuse them with souvenirs made in China.

One note: If you intend to pay the hotel with a credit card, you will be charged for your entire stay plus assumed incidentals on the day that you check in. In our case, the extra charge was very high. It took them six days after we checked out to correct this charge to the actual amount. It would have been nice to be told in advance.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2008

New, modern hotel that is centrally located in San Juan. The pool and beach area are great.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2008

My husband and I stayed four nights at La Concha over the 4th of July weekend. Following are some highlights and lowlights of our stay.

For background, we are both in our thirties (no kids yet), are well traveled and have stayed at many other beach resorts in the Caribbean. This was our first time in Puerto Rico, and we stayed in San Juan for the first four nights before heading to Rincon for the second half of our vacation.

Highlights:
- Beautiful, modern "hip" hotel property; loved the sofa-style seating throughout the terrace and beach areas
- Tapas at poolside restaurant were GREAT
- Upgraded to ocean view room, though room was rather small
- Reasonable room rate, which was booked through hotel website
- Friendly and helpful hotel staff
- Liked the room amenities such as large flat screen TVs and iPod docks, etc.
- Hip bar area with lively weekend night scene
- Infinity pool on beach (though it was rather small for the number of guests)

Lowlights:
- Elevators not always in service; one time, this required usage of stairwell which led to an unsafe outdoor area through a construction zone
- For two days in a row, our room had not been cleaned/serviced by 7pm (required a call to housekeeping)
- Our main issue was there appeared to be a lot of "local", non-hotel guests who took advantage of the hotel pools and beach facilities. This was especially frustrating over the weekend when almost all lounge chairs were occupied. While the hotel's stated policy was to ask all guests entering from the beach area for their room number, we did not see this policy enforced.
- On a related note, we witnessed one family in the main pool area let their one-year-old child swim naked for over an hour. No hotel staff appeared concerned or addressed the issue. I bet they would have if there had been an "accident" that would have forced the pool to be shocked and closed for a while. (I regret not informing staff of this incident.)
- Small room, but I can't really complain since it was an upgrade to an ocean view (from pool view)

All in all, it was an okay experience, though we did ponder changing hotels to a quieter, more exclusive property. As stated above, our main concern was the lack of monitoring the property by hotel staff. And, we were surprised by the number of children at a property that claims to be "hip" and catering to a more party-oriented crowd.

We don't plan on returning to this property as we prefer more refined environs. However, if you are looking for an affordable, lively option with a great nightlife, La Concha may be right for you.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TxT97
LaConchaResort, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2008

Thank you for your positive and constructive comments about the hotel. We appreciate your feedback as it helps to ensure guest satisfaction going forward. We are sorry you experienced some problems and have addressed them with management.
Best regards,
Eddie Sipple, General Manager

Reviewed July 7, 2008

Took a long time to decide on hotel and was glad choose this one. Went on a girls getaway and was also considering Marriott Casino down the street (definately book there if have kids, La Concha if adult vacation). Only heard construction noise one morning in room and think wouldn't have if wasn't already awake. Small noise at pool but there is so much construction overall that is it surprising didn't hear more. Would not hesitate not to stay because of it. While lobby was a 'hot spot' on Friday and Saturday night did not hear noise (was on 10th floor) and was on the young side (early 20s). Was not really set up to met people but to socialize with those you were with. Service was excellent, had to have someone come up to change the ipod connection and was done by time returned to room. If looking for towels always were some down at the towel station by the beach. The pool on the beach has a much better breeze than the upper level pools. Service was great except a bit slow ordering breakfast in hotel lobby. Only problem check out - 1st key disabled before check out time so had to go to lobby and get it reactivated. Also two of the three elevators were down for awhile (finally got two of three working) so there was a long wait as everyone trying to get their bags down for checkout - suggest if don't need room until noon, check out early and check bags.

Take the barefoot cruise they can set up for you, if you like the water, well worth the $85 per person for the day. Found drinks all over expensive ($10 to $12 for mojito) Columbos (right when leave hotel) for food down the street a less expensive option. When in Old Town try out Blessed Cafe' - bartender Willie (during day) was happy to give suggestions as to where to go. Dragon Fly was as good as everyone says but do make sure to have a drink in their downstair's bar - more atmosphere than upper bar. If had another day would have ventured to the surf side of the island.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends