“Great Vacation”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This hotel was Great it exceeded my expectations. The staff was very friendly and more than willing to help with whatever you need, big shout out to Antonie Moll he went above and beyond call of duty to make our trip fun filled. I enjoyed all the amenities that the hotel had to offer I would sure make a trip back to the La Concha.

1  Thank Rodney W
Jose C, Guest Relations Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Saludos Rodney,
Thank you for your wonderful review. It is satisfying to know that we exceeded your expectations. I have spoken to Antonio about your shout out and we all have thanked him for providing great service. He is a new addition to our already outstanding Bellman staff. I hope that your return trip will be soon. If I can be of any assistance upon your return, please contact me.

Jose Cepero
Director of Guest Services
jcepero@laconcharesort.com

There are newer reviews for La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Reviewed August 30, 2013

This resort isn't what it used to be. They have spent good money upgrading the facility, and it's beautiful. The beach is nice, the food is great, and the hospitality is wonderful. We had a nice experience with Felix, as his was the first friendly face we saw when we came in from the airport. But it seems that it's now more of a resort for college kids who want to party--nothing wrong with that. But if you're looking for a nice vacation that is worth the money you spend, maybe you should try the Ritz Carlton instead.

Room Tip: We always stay Oceanside--I wouldn't want to overlook the main street or the partiers in the poo...
1  Thank Rebecca_Laremont
Reviewed August 29, 2013

On a recent visit to Puerto Rico, some friends stayed here and I had a chance to use the amenities and access their portion of the beach.

If upscale living is they way you like to vacay, then this place does it. My friends room was amazing, all the windows opened, they had a separate sitting/living room area away from their room and also had a small balcony that offered both a beach and city view. Thus said room did cost approximately $400 a nite not including fees and taxes. They have smaller rooms at a lesser rate if you want something less expensive. I just want to go on record for saying it was spectacular.

I was able to join them one morning for breakfast at Voga, which is an Italian restaurant within, the hotel, there was nothing memorable about the breakfast other than the service was slow. One of our party of four order the steak and eggs breakfast, and about ten minutes after ordering, our server came and told us that they were out of steak. Another ten minutes or so passed, and we inquired about the food and was told since we had changed our order the food had to be re-cooked.

Not sure how that was true, since she went from ordering steak to ordering bacon and I know you can cook up some bacon in less than ten minutes.

I split my tab with one other person, and we both had the two egg omelet, and our tab came up to $56 without tip. I shall admit here to having two strawberry mimosas, at $12 each, so even once you deduct that $24, it still adds up to $32 plus tax and tip for two people to eat breakfast.

We could have gone with the buffet that is $25 a person, but our server advised us that the buffet only consisted of cold cuts for meats, and I didn't desire to eat sandwich meat for breakfast nor did did anything else on the buffet appeal to me at a rate of $25. There is a waffle station.

There are a couple of bars in the lobby right off the casino area. We had them make up a batch of pina colada and they were able to accommodate our request to take them to the beach area, by putting them in plastic cups. The bar staff was friendly.

They provided towels for the beach, you go up to a stand, provide them with your room number and they issue you a requested number of towels.

Their portion of the beach is awesome. No other way to describe it. They have someone that will set out beach chairs for you, but that area seems congested with other people laying out. I'm more of a get off to yourself kinda beach girl, so didn't use that service, nor did anyone offer it, so I guess if you want at beach chair (there were like 30 of them stacked up against a wall) you either have to move it yourself, or request one of the attendants (NOTE: ATTENDANT DOES NOT MEAN LIFEGUARD) to get one for you.

The beach area had some guys with push carts that were selling sherbert, we bought one, three flavors for $5. It melted within minutes. Save your money unless you want to sit on the beach and eat a cup of sherbert within a few moments.

Nice property, friendly staff, bring your wallet!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I don't know how they can call this a "resort". First of all, there is absolutely no security. Locals can walk in and out as they please and use all the amenities including all the pools and the beach. In fact, the beach is right next to a public park area. If you are looking for that relaxing atmosphere this is not the place. The beach was packed with local tweens and the pictures La Concha posted are completely altered to make it look nicer than it is.

Second, WATCH YOUR PERSONAL PROPERTY. While sitting at the pool at night, my phone was stolen by 4 local teenage boys that were just meandering through the property. The manager was extremely rude and unhelpful. He told us that it was OUR fault that the phone was stolen. He did not even want us to file a report of stolen property! When I asked the manager about the security, he told me that we were in a public area and therefore it was open to the public. We were literally 10 feet from one of the main pools! The boys who took the phone were still in the casino area and when they left started walking out the resort doors, they would not apprehend them or do anything about it! We had to watch the 4 boys LITERALLY high-five each other laughing at us with our phone that contained all our pictures from our trip. The manager did nothing to compensate us or make us have a better stay. I sat in the lobby crying and the manager just looked at me blankly and did not try to make his "guests" more welcome.

When I talked to other guests staying there that night they said they had been warned that other guests property had been stolen earlier that week around the pool as well.

We would never stay here again nor recommend it.

The only plus was that the concierge was very friendly and nice.

3  Thank Morgan F
Luis R, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

I truly apologize towards this unfortunate incident of your cellular phone being taken. Yes, we do always advise and recommend not leaving any personal belongings unattended in public areas to evade any regrettable situations similar to that experienced.
As a Marriott property, rest assured that our #1 priority is the security and safety of all our guests. For this reason, we do have security personnel throughout the hotel 24/7, however, it is extremely difficult to keep our eyes fully aware of such a small item at this late hour. Please know that we did inquire about knowledge or the view of your cellular phone to those mentioned in your review. Lamentably the whereabouts of the phone was not located and we cannot accuse any of our guests of wrong doing without eye witness or proof of act. This respect is owed to all guests.
Once again, I am truly sorry that your cellular phone was not located. The security report along with the police report made the evening of this incident are on file. I understand many phone companies require this report for replacement of cellular phones, should you need this information or copies, please contact me at any time.

Luis R Rivera
lrivera@laconcharesort.com

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I recently returned from Puerto Rico and stayed at La Concha for my first 2 nights on the island. The staff here is fabulous! Everyone is extremely friendly and helpful. Although the hotel is big, it did not appear overrun with guests which is also nice. The location is great as it is right on the beach and within walking distance of many restaurants. The rooms were very spacious and the beds comfy. While thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, I feel like there was a little something missing. A je ne sais quoi... After some thought, I think I have determined what it is. While the hotel is beautiful, the drinks made with love and the staff fabulous...it is not quite as luxurious as I expected (based on its description and that of some reviewers). That being said, it is lovely and I would stay here again. I made this trip with my husband, dad and stepmom, and brother and girlfriend - we all enjoyed ourselves and were happy with our accommodations.

1  Thank Boricua78
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My daughter and I just returned from Puerto Rico. This was our 2nd visit and our first stay at this hotel. From the moment we got out of our taxi, we were greeted and treated awesomely. When we arrived, we could not check into our room because we were early, so we went out to the beach for some sun and swim. The beach staff was very accommodating by setting up some chairs for us along with an umbrella. We were approached by a staff server named Hector Torres...offering us a menu along with some suggestions. He was very accommodating and always made sure everything was fine. Around 5 pm we went to check into our room. The room we were given was not the room that I had confirmed. The hotel manager was very accommodating in changing our room to a larger one with a poolside view which had a balcony. We stayed and ate at the hotel on our first day and the food was just as good as the service!!! My daughter is gluten free, soy free and dairy free, and there was no problem in having her meal prepared in the manner in which she can eat. And Hector was sure to see that she received the food the way she wanted it. She was totally ecstatic to see that there were gluten-free options on the menu.
The hotel is located close to San Juan. The taxi ride was $17 there and we took a bus back for 75 cents. There are some fine restaurants close to the hotel as well as a Starbucks and Walgreens, in case you forget something.
All in all, our stay was wonderful, the service from morning through the night was very friendly. I would definitely come here again.

2  Thank Janice V
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I've stayed at El San Juan Hotel, El Condado Plaza, El Conquistator, Embassy Suites BUT LA CONCHA ROCKS!!!!! I couldn't wait to meet Felix (which everyone raved about) and he is indeed every bit of what I expected ..... the resort is stunningly gorgeous. The ground are beautifully maintained ... world class wining and dining (expensive but worth it - you can't ball out on a budget so don't bring one) !!!!!

1  Thank Bella4BX
Hotel El Convento
#2 of 47 in San Juan
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!