“Nicely appointed hotel right on the beach, but the staff are on "island time" so don't expect anything quickly.”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed March 2, 2013

You cannot beat the location if this hotel--you are on the beach within steps and there are several lovely pool options. The hotel is clean and has a nice modern aesthetic. When I first arrived I was greeted heartily by very friendly staff, which made me feel very welcome. My room had an ocean view and the entire back wall opened so I could fall asleep to the sounds of surf.

But the efficiency and expediency of some of the service during my stay was a bit disappointing. Ask for something and you might get it--the next day. My hotel robe disappeared and was never replaced despite a request. Our group had a reservation at La Perla, but were booted for a wedding. On the other hand, I did make a call for more bottled water and got that within minutes. So, it's spotty--which shouldn't happen with resort rates, IMHO.

Overall, however, I really enjoyed my stay. The hotel offers some tasty in-house food options (no, I didn't ever try the iconic La Perla restaurant, so I can't rate that--except for the foregoing comment on their service). There is a small casino, but I'm not a huge gambler. It was fun for a stroll-through.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank cylgecko1

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We were greeted with high fives from the bellman Felix after getting out of the taxi. At that point we knew we were going to have a great stay as we were now "La Familia" The lobby was very impressive but the view from our room was even more impresssive. The beach was very clean and plenty of chairs and more helpful staff. The hotel is in walking distance to many great resturants and a short distance to the cruise terminal.
Felix is the perfect person to greet new guests coming in. He sets the tone for the rest of the stay and makes a lasting impression.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Badgerfan5304
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This place is full of beautiful people serving to make your stay as pleasurable as possible. The restaurants are all very good but pricey. Then again if you are looking for a quality dining experience in PR you will have to spend some dough. The rooms are comfortable but slightly worn in a few spots. The ocean front rooms are a bit tight, so I think I will opt for the suite next time. The view is spectacular however and you will be able to slide the window wide open inviting the crashing waves and topical breezes to sooth your soul after a day on the beach. The surf can be a little intimidating on some days but the crystal blue water is very inviting. This place is centrally located just outside of Old San Juan. Security in the area is very good and every block had a police presence. One tip to save some bucks. Go to the Walgreens a block up from the hotel. Get water bottles, rum, mixers, and snacks. This will prevent sticker shock when you get your bill.

Room Tip: choose a suite or ocean front room for the best experience.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank paul s
Reviewed March 1, 2013

So after reading all of the stellar reviews I decided to book a 3-night stay at the La Concha for my birthday last week. We arrived at the hotel on 2/22/13 (my birthday, yippee) we did arrive around 1:30 so we had to wait an hour for an available room; understandable as check in is around 3 or 4pm. Now I am not sure what is considered "new" in this resort but what we stayed in was run down! We had an ocean view that was gorgeous, however, I did not spend close to $900.00 (this does not include the $42.00 a night resort fee either) for a mere 3 night stay for just a nice view or so I thought. The room was awful the furniture was falling apart and the bathroom grout looked like it had not been cleaned in forever. *side note with the bathrooms... there is only a shower which has no separation from the floor the glass door is only for show and is only on one side it does not close you in so you will get water everywhere also the water pressure can be compared to that of squirting yourself with a lukewarm water filled water gun. If you like hot showers with pressure beware... So anyway back to the room itself. I asked the front desk if I could switch rooms and the young lady said we would need to go onto another waiting list and exit our room. My companion kindly asked why would we have to check out of this room I replied (while she was still on the line) most likely because they want to sell this one, she promptly responded yes we need to sell that one. Now I don’t know about you, but in basic customer service that’s just bad. So we decided to keep the room and besides we were not planning to stay there for more than changing and sleeping.

The front lobby is gorgeous, as well as, the courtyard pool *another side note the courtyard pool, as well as, the infinity pool (if you want to call it that) are pretty small they do not look at all like they do in pictures or the website. I can only compare the infinity pool on the beach to one of those kiddie pools you see beside the adult pool.

Beware though if you want to lay out on the beach and you have friends from another resort coming to visit (as we did) they have to pay $5.00 a piece for a beach chair (ridiculous much) the drinks at both the indoor and outdoor bars will run you at the low end $10.00 a piece high end up to $16.00 and our weak, your best bet would be to visit one of the local restaurants or dive bars like we did. Atlantic beach hotel is a two block walk down and has happy hour now from 5-9pm daily drinks are $3.50 apiece. Another thing to note is that my companion was almost cheated out of his money twice at this resort once at the bar outside where he gave the gentlemen $60.00 for a $40.00 tab and the man handed him back a $5.00 bill and then immediately again at the grill in the courtyard where he gave the young lady a $20.00 for a $14.00 tab and didn’t receive anything back so he promptly waited and after 5 minutes asked for his change where she then said oh yea that’s right. Now we are BIG tippers for good service and even for mediocre service at times, but geesh give us the chance don’t just expect and/or take the money.

Now as far as the "stellar" customer service ehh it was ok don't get me wrong the people are nice, but there is a big difference in genuine nicety and forced this is my job smiles and greetings. All and all we had a great time in Puerto Rico once again, but for the price this place did not live up to my expectations at all. I would have been better off staying elsewhere to receive the 3 star accommodations I received at least my pockets would have been a little heavier upon my return home.

Now I know for some these things are minor issues but for someone like myself who is on a budget and decided to spluge for once I would have just expected a bigger wow factor and unfortunately that was not the case.

One last thing cabbies will take advantage of you so your best bet is to be patient and take the .75cent bus. We decided to go to breakfast at another resort it was $15.00 to get there yet the ride back was $20.00...go figure. This happened several times mind you guess that will teach us to be lazy.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Dominique H
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I'm writing a review for those of you trying to figure out if this hotel is kid-friendly because I know I certainly tried to google this endlessly. I was worried when my search results ended in a trip advisor review that mentioned La Concha as "not for kids" and a yelp reviewer that saw no kids at all in the pool. Though there was one review that said yes, this really IS a place you can bring a kid.

This is a modern and trendy hotel so when we arrived on Saturday night, the music was blaring! Luckily my room was ocean view and on the 9th floor so the noise was minimal. No loud music on weekdays though. I stayed in the ocean tower and while I read the suite tower was nicer, I had no problems with this tower or my rooms at all. The rooms weren't brand spanking new but were clean and very roomy. We never had a shortage on any of the many Aveda products which included: shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, bar soap, mouth wash, moisturizer, vanity kit, shoe polish, and shower caps. Yes, I'm writing this out because I had read somewhere that they did not provide shampoo and conditioner. Our maid cleaned each and every day, one day even while we were in the room so we were able to see that she actually changed all the bed sheets and pillow cases each day.

So on our first trip to the pool the next day, imagine my surprise at how many kids were in the pool! There are three pools which are supposed to be heated, though the infinity pool by the beach wasn't when we were there (another woman mentioned the pool was much warmer two days prior). All pools are open 24 hours, there are no lifeguards at any time so signs tell you SWIM AT YOUR OWN RISK and they are max 5 feet deep. We visited the adult only (really 15+ per the sign) one night and because of the privacy factor, I'm pretty sure this couple was getting it on right then and there, so yes the adult pool has a certain 'ick factor', not to mention the drunken couples that wandered into the pool with their clothes on. It's not difficult to find seats by the pool on a weekday but on a weekend, you really need to get there a little early. Of course there are people who leave their towels on the chairs and never return, but I did see the staff and security eye those chairs and remove towels at certain times.

The beach is OK but the waves really get a little too close to the hotel. Also, for the most part all beaches there are public, in fact there is a huge public park right behind the beach where people can just walk in. I would certainly keep my eye on my bags if I were seated closer to the public park though I can say I did not see anything bad happen on my trip (I have on my other ones). While the waters look pretty, it isn't for swimming and the current is pretty strong.

We didn't try out any restaurant other than Solera which we had while seated by the pool. While everyone raves about the customer service of La Concha I have to say I was not omg blown away. The waiter barely came by to ask if we needed anything while we were by the pool and it was kind of hard trying to flag him down. Then, he took everyone else's order before ours. Not only then but he waited on the girls next to us and gave us the hand signal to 'wait' while they were still looking through the menu. Wow, really? They weren't ready to order, they just sat down and you're telling me to wait even though I'm ready to order and I was here for how long after you waited on the OTHER people before us as well? Really, it might have just been that one waiter because the others were efficient enough. The drinks were good but a little expensive. The french fries are amazing and cheap! We had sliders on two occasions, the first time they were AMAZING, the beef patty was thick and juicy but the second time they were much thinner and cooked too much past well done.

Overall I have to say the hotel and the amenities were excellent. Most if not all staff were warm and friendly though I have to say this should be expected, and not something that I'd rave about given that they work in the hospitality field. While this isn't a place that is geared towards to or caters to kids, you can definitely bring your kids there! There aren't activities like you'd find at other Caribbean resorts, only the pools and the beach. My kids are 1.5 and 4 so SAND is amazing to them! While there were a ton of younger kids and babies, they all played pretty peacefully in the pool - no rowdy horseplay but that might be because there weren't a lot of older kids/teens. They do not have cribs but they have playards. It was delivered to our room the night we checked in and they wrap the bottom in their bed sheets. If you are concerned about that coming loose, please remember to pack your own sheets. The playard itself was in good condition.

There are plenty of restaurants around that are kid-friendly so go ahead and book La Concha even if you have kids!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank whateversu
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is a popular beach-front resort in San Juan. If you haven't been to San Juan, think of it as a mini-Miami with mountains, and this area would be the equivalent of South Beach. The rooms were good although some of the furniture looked like it was ready for replacement. The have two great pool areas and a big, open bar area in the middle of the lobby, as well as several restaurants on site. There is a lot of other restaurants and shops within walking distance.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank caryon1
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Having a 4 hour layover for our trip back to California from Tortolla, my wife and had lunch and spent the afternoon at the La Concha resort. Although we were not staying at the hotel, we were treated like preffered guests by Hector Torres, our waiter at the beautiful outdoor resteraunt. Hector went out of his way to provide exceptional service and to promote information on the hotel and surrounding area. We are certain to include a stay a the La Concha hotel next time we are in Puerto Rico thanks to Hector.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel El Convento
Hotel El Convento
#2 of 47 in San Juan
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!